What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Noob needs advice final flush :D

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yadda Yadda Yadda, white ash occurs when pot is properly cured..
Wrong. Even long cure does not get rid off leftover nutrients in the bud.
Curing breaks down clorophyll and sugars, but does nothing to the possible left over nutrients

-
-
Ganjygav's plant looks more like how it should before harvest.
:)

MrBungle

Curing breaks down clorophyll and sugars, but does nothing to the possible left over nutrients

Show me where you learned this... I still don't see any proof you know what you are even talking about.. calling me wrong then having nothing other than your word and your disabled reputation to go on.. does nothing for me....

Absolem

Outdoor cannabis plants, unless they're being grown in containers, won't get a flush either, so you don't really have a proper argument.

How much water resources would be wasted if tobacco farmers would start flushing the soil?? How much would that cost? E-mail a tobacco company and ask if flushing tobacco sounds realistic to them.

[FONT=Many times people, who claim flushing is completely unnecessary, actually don't have real arguments or facts to back their opinion, they just make such a claim.[/SIZE][/FONT]

The outdoor weed that i have smoked hasn't been as smooth as flushed indoor bud. The tobacco i have smoked was never as smooth as flushed indoor bud. Unflushed indoor bud is prolly harsher than tobacco, imo. = real argument.
---

Yea, it's the right "horticultural terminology" that makes weed smoke the right way, ay.

Some ...uneducated ...cannabis growers use the term "leeching" for giving nothing but water for the plant, which makes the plant use the leftover nutes in the grow medium, and later in the leaves/flowers to make the plant turn yellow.

Term "flushing" is used when extra nutrients are being washed off the grow medium; incase of over fertilization, or when people want their indoor plants turn yellow abit faster.
---

Are you claiming, that there is no difference in the smoking quality of weed if the plant is starved, so that it turns yellow
..or if it's fertilized right till harvest?
Is this what you're claiming?

Too bad your only view of finishing a plant is giving it massive amounts of water the final two weeks or full on nutrients the last two weeks. Such insight.

Outdoor cannabis plants, unless they're being grown in containers, won't get a flush either, so you don't really have a proper argument.

Many outdoor growers build mounds for their plants or they put them in a large grow bag. The same growing medium is used for both. Why would the plant in the grow bag need to be "flushed" cough cough over the plant in the mound? Your logic falls short here. Both are in the same exact conditions minus a grow bag. Does the grow bag have magical properties that require leaching the medium to finish the plant? It's clear you know nothing about a living soil and how it works.

Many times people, who claim flushing is completely unnecessary, actually don't have real arguments or facts to back their opinion, they just make such a claim.

Most people who advocate cutting back on their plant nutrition the final two weeks to finish have years of growing experience. I used to be one of those people who talked of leaching their medium like it was a religion. I kinda sounded like you do. Then I learned about getting my medium tested and building a nutrient profile around that so I wouldn't over feed my plants.

Some ...uneducated ...cannabis growers use the term "leeching" for giving nothing but water for the plant, which makes the plant use the leftover nutes in the grow medium, and later in the leaves/flowers to make the plant turn yellow.

Removing all the plant nutrition from the growing medium WILL NOT make the plant use up it's "leftover nutes". It's clear you know nothing about mobile vs immobile nutrients. Do you have flower and leaf sample analysis showing what you claim? I bet not.

Yea, it's the right "horticultural terminology" that makes weed smoke the right way, ay.

Using the proper terminology is what the cannabis community should strive for so the rest of the Ag community will finally take us seriously.

Term "flushing" is used when extra nutrients are being washed off the grow medium; incase of over fertilization, or when people want their indoor plants turn yellow abit faster.
---

Now you are just making stuff up. "Flushing" is NOT a term used in the horticultural industry. The closest term would be a "mineralization flush". This is where you mix up a nutrient solution to reset the growing medium.

Are you claiming, that there is no difference in the smoking quality of weed if the plant is starved, so that it turns yellow
..or if it's fertilized right till harvest?
Is this what you're claiming?

The last 10-14 days I cut back on the plant nutrition. A plant that has been over fertilized can take up to a month to get rid of the excess nutrients. No amount of water will speed this up. There is a flavor difference between cannabis that has been over fertilized and cannabis grown properly. "Flushing" is not some mystical cure for weed that has been over fed. A lot more goes into to tasty cannabis then just feeding it massive amounts of water the final two weeks.

Try flushing them more if you can. Larger volume of water, there is no other tricks.

I'm not a coco grower, thou i have tried it few times. Proper leaching/flushing takes some weeks, even longer in soil.

coco-medium will hold nutrients for the plant to use a good while after you stopped giving them nutrients.
Those could go few weeks till you have nice yellow/flushed flowers.

Nice plants, amigo! Keep flushing.

This is terrible advice. It's clear you know nothing about coco. As coco coir degrades it releases K at a rate of 30-50 ppm. Since you advised the op to leach their medium they now have plants sitting in nothing but a potassium filled growing medium. This is not good for the plants and will cause lock out. No finishing will happen from here on out. Good thing you were here to save their plants.

To the OP

I have finished off my cannabis plants every way you can think of. Massive amounts of water the final two weeks. Molasses. "Flushing" agents. All the products listed for "Flushing" cannabis are nothing more than a weak nutrient solution to help leach out the medium.

As I studied horticultural practices I became a much better grower. I understood plant nutrients and how they work together or against each other. Stuff really started to fall in place.

I've leached cannabis plants for a month before and didn't get any fading. Sure the leaves turned golden brown/yellow and crunchy. No amount of water I gave them helped. The plants were locked out.

As I became a better grower from understanding plant nutrition my plants started finishing quicker and were fading on full nutrient strength. It was at that point I realized a plant will finish on it's own if you give it the proper nutrition throughout the life cycle.

By removing all the nutrition from your medium the plant will be locked out and no fade will happen. You will end up with the golden crunchy leaves at the end which should not be confused with a proper fade.

You are a little over a week into straight water and no fading has occurred yet. I've been there. It sucks. At this point it looks like you plants were over fed and not much can be done. If you continue with straight water you will see foxtailing around day 10-14. Around day 14 your buds will lose some weight and start to look airy. The hairs on your flowers will no longer have that nice golden brown look. They will look dark brown almost black. If you have ever used Green Cure you will know the look. The flowers will continue to finish but the plant will still be green. At this point one needs to decide when to chop. The flowers will finish long before any fade happen. There will be no fade at this point. The leaves will become golden brown and crunchy from being locked out.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Flushing plants in coco for said amt of times preharvest is highly dependant on what they are being fed to begin with... 1.2 ec should fade rather fast compared to another grower who constantly pushs nutes up to 1.8 2.0 levels... There is nothing written in stone saying 5 days 7 days 14 days. I find 7 days works perfect for me now, when id feed heavier I flush 2wks... I've smoked very lightly fed plants unflushed start to finish n they are not bad nuthing like smoking a joint of some of some unflushed super charged growers weed that snaps n sparkles n sizzles the who time ,

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
0.8EC Is not that high. I wouldn't be that concerned regarding flushing, as you already "cut" or lowered the feeding weeks ago. Definitely, no need to pour 20L on each pot...

Each plant finishes differently, not all end up absolutely yellow.

Top colas are clearly finished, I'd cut those already and maybe leave the lower ones some more days for them to get more light and swell; additionally you'll be able to test it to see if you'd better cut now than wait.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Flushing plants in coco for said amt of times preharvest is highly dependant on what they are being fed to begin with... 1.2 ec should fade rather fast compared to another grower who constantly pushs nutes up to 1.8 2.0 levels... There is nothing written in stone saying 5 days 7 days 14 days. I find 7 days works perfect for me now, when id feed heavier I flush 2wks... I've smoked very lightly fed plants unflushed start to finish n they are not bad nuthing like smoking a joint of some of some unflushed super charged growers weed that snaps n sparkles n sizzles the who time ,

Yea good point about not to over fertilize to begin with
..makes leeching/flushing alot easier, esp. in soil.
I have also started feeding my girls less for this reason and i don't see much of a negative impact on yields with little lighter feeding. They are healthy, but the leaves aren't over the top-dark green.

BHAM!

really really thank you all guys! hope you best!!

So the plants maybe are starting a to show some yellow, i cut off only when i see maybe more than 40/50% trichomes are amber (I want indica couch locking high :D ) and of my 3 plants, 1 have every top cola like this, so that one is ready to haversted for sure and tonight or tomorrow i'm gonna do it after i build a cabinet dry with carbon filter.

in the end i think i understand:
1)NEVER overfeed (I always "overfeeded" just to have the tip of the leaves yellow -ish, thought it was not harm to plants)

2)when i have like 3 weeks left i'll go even lower than ec 0.8

3)feed until the end with almost a bit of nutrients, in this house where i grow the ec of water is roughly 0.3 ec and ph like 7.5 so i think i could go to about 0.4/5 ec if i keep staying here, but my plan will be to install a water depuration system to have a tap water with ec of like 0.05 or 0.1 to bring to ec 0.2/3

suggestion or criticism always appreciated :smoker:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Exactly correct. Nearly everything else you posted is wrong, as pointed out by Absolem.

Absolem... :tiphat: You've typed up pretty much exactly what I would have said. Thank you for saving me the trouble and it sounds like I'd be happy to sample your product. lol I don't say things like this very often. Again, :tiphat:

GoatCheese

Veteran
[FONT=&quot]Too bad your only view of finishing a plant is giving it massive amounts of water the final two weeks or full on nutrients the last two weeks. Such insight.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LOL. You just made that up yourself. That makes no sense, read again what you just wrote.Such insight.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many outdoor growers build mounds for their plants or they put them in a large grow bag. The same growing medium is used for both. Why would the plant in the grow bag need to be "flushed" cough cough over the plant in the mound? Your logic falls short here. Both are in the same exact conditions minus a grow bag. Does the grow bag have magical properties that require leaching the medium to finish the plant? It's clear you know nothing about a living soil and how it works. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I can't see that i commented on outdoor growing all that much. You make things up and then debate me on those things. Well done.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Removing all the plant nutrition from the growing medium WILL NOT make the plant use up it's "leftover nutes". It's clear you know nothing about mobile vs immobile nutrients. Do you have flower and leaf sample analysis showing what you claim? I bet not.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Plants won't start using nutrients/energy stored in the leaves if the medium doesn't have any nutrients anymore?? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Can you explain this one abit?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have seen many threads on ICmag where new-growers are asking why their seedlings are turning yellow, and people tell them you have to give them more nutrients. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So as far as i understand it, plants do run out of stored-energy without any feeding and start turning yellow before eventually die of starvation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Human, animals, and i imagine plants as well, start using energy reservation when they don't get any food from outside their bodies, muscles and fat for animals. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now you are just making stuff up. "Flushing" is NOT a term used in the horticultural industry. The closest term would be a "mineralization flush". This is where you mix up a nutrient solution to reset the growing medium.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I never claimed "flushing is a horticultural terminology", so you're just making things up again. What i said was that using "proper terminology" won't make your plant smoke any better. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is terrible advice. It's clear you know nothing about coco. As coco coir degrades it releases K at a rate of 30-50 ppm. Since you advised the op to leach their medium they now have plants sitting in nothing but a potassium filled growing medium.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]30-50 ppm is hardly "potassium filled grow medium", you muppet. But superlatives and overstatements are many times used by kids when they talk about things.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]How many PPMs of nutrients people feed their plants during bloom? 1200-1500ppm?. And now you're losing your hair because of 30-50 ppm??! Try to get a grip. Great insight.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]When i googled cannabis feeding regiments, many times it's listed that small seedlings should be given K more than 30-50 ppm. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm sure even "flushed" cannabis grow medium will have nutrients worth 30-50 ppm, so calm down, professor.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]And, even if coco leaches out 30-50 ppm of K, it is unrealistic to think this is constant leaking, meaning if you pour 20 l of water thru coco today and 20l the next day, you'll prolly see more diluted readings coming out after the second flush.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]..but no, i haven't got any test data on this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]::
::[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Running large amounts of water thru a a medium = You can stun the growth process also if you get the medium too wet = Root rot.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
So are you sure your lockout/stunned maturing is because of nutrient issues, or because you kept the medium too moist for too long?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If the medium is too moist, leaves will turn yellow and fall of, but the plant won't "flush out".

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]So are you sure you didn't over-water your plants and cause a lock because of this? ...any test results?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You're behaving like a child, who's just trying to search people's comments for any tiny mistakes, but you actually end up imagining that i said something and then you have a debate = you twist my words and claim i meant exactly what you claim i meant.[/FONT]

Maybe i missed replying to some arguments you made, but since you mostly made the things up yourself and then claimed it was me, i'm not really into these kind of debates.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Exactly correct. Nearly everything else you posted is wrong, as pointed out by Absolem.

Absolem... :tiphat: You've typed up pretty much exactly what I would have said. Thank you for saving me the trouble and it sounds like I'd be happy to sample your product. lol I don't say things like this very often. Again, :tiphat:
Yea, Absolem just invented most things he/she claimed i had said. And you would have done the exact same thing? Thanks, buddy.
[FONT=&quot]If you claim i said wrong things, then it's polite to point those things out, cause now i don't know what you're referring to, or are you referring to things that Absolem totally made up. Doesn't matter really.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So, Dougy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]..you too think possible 30-50 ppm of K, slowly leaching from coco is worse than 1200-1500 ppm of nutrients in the medium? Then you'd be just as sharp as your friend here.:)[/FONT]

Douglas.Curtis

Yea, Absolem just invented most things he/she claimed i had said. And you would have done the exact same thing? Thanks, buddy.
[FONT=&quot]If you claim i said wrong things, then it's polite to point those things out, cause now i don't know what you're referring to, or are you referring to things that Absolem totally made up. Doesn't matter really.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
They're only slightly more eloquent than you are and they have a much better attitude. They also talk sense when it comes to growing superior quality cannabis. Anyone following the conversation so far should have no trouble picking up the correct information.
[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So, Dougy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]..you too think possible 30-50 ppm of K, slowly leaching from coco is worse than 1200-1500 ppm of nutrients in the medium? Then you'd be just as sharp as your friend here.:)[/FONT]
You're not even understanding what's going on here and have a fundamental misunderstanding about cannabis.

Cannabis is a hyper/dynamic accumulator (go look up what that is). Between having additional pathways of uptake and having a low tolerance for excess nutrition, cannabis ends up binding these excess elements to new tissue growth. There is no "Flushing" or "Leaching" out excess nutrients after overfeeding. You overfeed, your quality suffers permanently. You throw a dog in the middle of a pond, it's going to get wet. Flushing for a month+ is not going to 'fix' what you've broken. Cannabis doesn't care if the element is mobile or immobile, when it's been directly bound to new plant tissue it is not going anywhere. It will be in the flower at harvest and will go in your lungs or body, if you smoke or eat it.

So what's the moral of the story? Feed cannabis enough nutrients (in a closely balanced mix) to support full and vigorous growth. When cannabis switches from flower production to oil production (a few weeks before harvest) their nutritional needs begin dropping dramatically. Any extra nutrition is going to be absorbed and packed away, negatively impacting your end quality regardless of gains in yield. :tiphat:

Growing outdoor? Yes, definitely cut back on nutrition and leach the soil with plain water. When this starts 3 weeks before harvest you end up with a slow depletion of nutrients. Hopefully this depletion rate matches the rapidly dropping needs of your plants. Excess kills quality. Your soil isn't leaching out and leaning the nutrient strength? You need to go back to outdoor cannabis 101. That's an issue of education on soils and media, not applying water and nutrients properly.

Hydro? The "flush" is 5 days of pure water. What you pumped out should have been VERY low strength solution. Your plants barely need anything at this point and their needs have been dropping for weeks. Your plants are super green at harvest time? Significant reduction of quality is present and no amount of flushing/leaching is going to "fix" it. By the time the plant has used up those excess nutes it'll be way to late for harvest.

Cannabis is not a fruit or a vegetable, it's a hyper/dynamic accumulating flower. Learn the difference and everyone around you will notice your quality changes. :tiphat:

GoatCheese

Veteran
[FONT=&quot]There is no "Flushing" or "Leaching" out excess nutrients after overfeeding. You overfeed, your quality suffers permanently.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WTF? You just look for an angle ....any angle ...and then you start giving lectures, ay! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The original question, by the thread-starter, was about getting the plant matter to get rid of stored nutrients[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]..and now you're giving lectures on over-feeding!! See what i mean?

Abit late to talk about over-feeding when the plant is about to get the chop quite soon. But a good tip for the next grow, Curtis.:)

The person asked about how to get the plant to go yellow faster, maybe give some input on that, buddy.
..or is the original topic a side issue now that you have a point to prove?
[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I asked you what was wrong with what i have written, you don't even point anything out and then you start rambling on something completely different.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Why are you even writing all this shit to me? Imo, you're reacting to stuff Absolem invented in his/her head and claimed it was me who said those things. = You're replying to Absolem's claims, yet directing it to me, get it.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]When you don't have anything real to say, you and Absolem just invent debates in your vivid, stoner-minds= you basically debate your own assumptions. LOL.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These f-ing light weight smokers, man!! You people must be too smoked-out to even understand what you've just read or who actually wrote it, ay.:comfort:

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]I'm done.[/FONT]

Douglas.Curtis

Hello smmookerss
i'm at the end of my cycle, like some days ago i started seeing some trichomes becoming amber, i thought i planned everything good to arrive at this point with yellow at lest yellowish leaves but nothing, they still rock solid green
Chop it when the trichomes say it's ready and deal with it, there's nothing you can do to 'save' it at this point. It's going to be harsh and less flavorful and potent than it could have been with proper feeding. You should be proud, they look great. You're just missing a tiny bit of information.

Next time start reducing the nutrient strength as soon as flower growth stalls and oil production begins. This is usually around 3-4 weeks, depending on the strain. The nutritional needs of the plant are fading, and so should the strength of the feed you're giving them till harvest.

Ya done good. Pat yourself on the back and enjoy this run while you ramp up for the next. :tiphat:

BHAM!

Chop it when the trichomes say it's ready and deal with it, there's nothing you can do to 'save' it at this point. It's going to be harsh and less flavorful and potent than it could have been with proper feeding. You should be proud, they look great. You're just missing a tiny bit of information.

Next time start reducing the nutrient strength as soon as flower growth stalls and oil production begins. This is usually around 3-4 weeks, depending on the strain. The nutritional needs of the plant are fading, and so should the strength of the feed you're giving them till harvest.

Ya done good. Pat yourself on the back and enjoy this run while you ramp up for the next. :tiphat:
Thank you for the kind words man!
For sure next time i'll try not to overfeed at any point (At least i hope) and i'll reduce the nutrient as you say

Lucky me, the "sample" i cut off and already smoked aren't that harsh, i mean, in my country many many many times i bought harsher weed, like every hit of joint -> one coff ahaha
And i'll look as always new information about growing, never stop learning!