What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clearing/Unpacking Long, Narrow Columns

kwikness

Anyone have a useful tek for clearing out a long, packed column of material? With shorter columns (6"), I have enough leverage at each end to pry out the material, but that's not the case with anything bigger.

Tried jamming a coat hanger in there but it's not optimal.

Speed of green

if you do it right after the extraction when the matereial is still saturated it comes out a ton easier than if you let it sit around for a while.

There is a thing called a de-bowler, its an ashtray with a golf tee looking thing sticking out of it, its used to empty out the ashed bowl of a pipe.

i built one of those but basically on a large scale using a trashcan and a piece of pvc with notches/teeth cut in the end. The notches are for digging into the material.

i used a "floor flange" to attach the pvc to the trash can.

https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39...ler_for_web__38771.1457746382.244.365.jpg?c=2

Dro Smoe

I find that flat and relatively thin materials work a bit easier than round.. I use a steel yardstick right up the center to loosen it up.. I put one end of the yardstick on top of something solid, and push the column down onto it..

hash head

broom stick pushed into the ground.. seen them broken before where it has a sharper point on one end...

not packing it too incredibly tight and doing it while still cold seem to help...