What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Word of the Day - New words, and what they mean!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Having a proper, rounded vocabulary is a good thing, it really helps us to express ourselves on forum sites such as ICMAG, where the written word is all powerful.

So I am starting this thread around vocabulary so that we can all learn new words and what the words mean daily, to further our education into the English language.

To kick-off and get the ball rolling here is my word of the day:

insouciance
ɪnˈsuːsɪəns
noun
casual lack of concern; indifference.
"an impression of boyish insouciance"
synonyms: nonchalance, unconcern, lack of concern, indifference, heedlessness, relaxedness, calm, calmness, equanimity, coolness, composure, casualness, ease, easy-going attitude, airiness, carefreeness, frivolousness, carelessness; informalcool
"his anxieties increased, despite Jen's insouciance"

What is your word of the day?

troutman

Seed Whore
I make it a point to Web search search out word definitions all the time.

I learned the word Fanciful from a lawyer a while back. Now I tend to call most lawyers fanciful. :laughing:

Definition of fanciful
1 :marked by fancy or unrestrained imagination rather than by reason and experience

a fanciful person

a fanciful tale of a monster in the woods

2 :existing in fancy (see 2fancy) only

a fanciful notion

the falsehoods about some fanciful secret treaties
—F. D. Roosevelt

3 :marked by or as if by fancy or whim

gave their children fanciful names
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanciful

oleoresin
o·le·o·res·in
ˌōlēōˈrezən/Submit
noun
a natural or artificial mixture of essential oils and a resin, e.g., balsam.

"Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts."
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
"Words are all we have" proclaimed Irish playwright Samuel Beckett not because he made a living out of it but because he understood the potency of words. Words are much more powerful and influential than any weapon and it is a 'weapon of future' that must not be misused.

Words have a longstanding effect on the minds of a listener. They can make the listener his friend or his enemy. From daily household occurrences to nationwide struggle, words are influential in making a long lasting impact. The sarcastic remarks or kind compliments to your friends and family to powerful speeches at national and international forums, the sinew of words can be seen by the effect they have on the listener.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is going to be fun!
Where's Weird at?
Bet he's got some doozies.

Ex·cogi-tate:
-to think out carefully & fully.
-to contrive, devise or invent by such thought.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
"Words are pale shadows of forgotten names.....")

My favorite 'new' word is named after an obsolete, soon forgotten, early technological form of communication, the telegraph.

.... so when was the last time anyone sent or received a telegram????

Nowadaze when you see or hear the word 'telegraph' it's used as a verb 'to make known by signs, especially unknowingly and in advance'.

It's funny, now that I'm an 'old person', I'm starting to notice changes like this happening more and more!:tiphat:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
muography

Muography is an imaging technique that produces a projectional image of a target volume by recording elementary particles, called muons, either electronically or chemically with materials that are sensitive to charged particles such as nuclear emulsions. Cosmic rays from outer space generate muons in the Earth’s atmosphere as a result of nuclear reactions between primary cosmic rays and atmospheric nuclei. They are highly penetrative and millions of muons pass through our bodies every day.

"the pyramid of Cheops was muographically analyzed."

:tiphat:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Having a proper, rounded vocabulary is a good thing, it really helps us to express ourselves on forum sites such as ICMAG, where the written word is all powerful.
:tiphat:

Now you're sounding like my Mom from 50+ years ago...

But because of her, since my mid-20's, there's always been an unabridged dictionary within reach of my desk! And my vocabulary reflects this..
Thanks Mom!:biggrin:

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
reciprocal: Mutual, of effect on/both sides, as for you so for me.

Far out !

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
'fake news'

After a U.S. presidential campaign dominated by charges of fake news, Collins Dictionary has designated the term the Collins Word of the Year 2017.
The word — two words actually — will be added to the next print edition of the dictionary.
Collins said Thursday the use of the term rose 365 percent last year. It is defined as "false, often sensational, information disseminated under the guise of news reporting."
The term has been picked up by U.S. President Donald Trump, who routinely characterizes critical reports as "fake news" in his tweets.
Collins' head of language content Helen Newstead said the term "fake news" has been inescapable this year.
She said it has contributed to "the undermining of society's trust in news reporting."

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/fake-news-collins-dictionarys-word-year-2017-50888536

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
querulous ... Quarrelsome, looking for an argument in a petty, bad mannered way

My ex is Scandinavian, but has an excellent command of English, often better than native English. She was signed up to some (?wordsmith) site that had a word of the day email, she got this an uses it whenever suitable. lots of people, including a director of a top 10 FTSE company had to ask her what it meant.

Gizmo

after the truncated and closed thread full of love "TERROR IN NEW YORK!" a few words came to my mind, one of them is :

PREJUDICE

[prej-uh-dis]

noun
an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.

any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.

unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding an ethnic, racial, social, or religious group.

such attitudes considered collectively:
The war against prejudice is never-ending.

damage or injury; detriment:
a law that operated to the prejudice of the majority.

verb (used with object), prejudiced, prejudicing.
to affect with a prejudice, either favorable or unfavorable:
His honesty and sincerity prejudiced us in his favor.

Idioms
without prejudice, Law. without dismissing, damaging, or otherwise affecting a legal interest or demand.

Insouciance
in·sou·ci·ance
inˈso͞osēəns,inˈso͞oSHəns/Submit
noun
casual lack of concern; indifference.
"an impression of boyish insouciance"
synonyms: nonchalance, unconcern, indifference, heedlessness, calm, equanimity, composure, ease, airiness; informalcool
"through his own profligacy and insouciance in raising money, he brought about the very thing he had hoped to avoid"

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Serendipity

Serendipity

Here's my alltime favorite new word, I fondly remember my Great Aunt teaching me this when I was a kid: Serendipity

ser·en·dip·i·ty

the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

"a fortunate stroke of serendipity"
synonyms: (happy) chance, (happy) accident, fluke

..... gotta love a word that ends in 'dipity'!:tiphat:

Andyo

Veteran
old words forgotten words

old words forgotten words

DULLARD
a slow or stupid person.
synonyms: idiot, fool, stupid person, simpleton, ignoramus, oaf, dunce, dolt
I have found use for this on icmag previously.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Quintessential

quin·tes·sen·tial

/ˌkwin(t)əˈsen(t)SHəl/

adjective: quintessential

representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class.
"he was the quintessential tough guy—strong, silent, and self-contained"

synonyms: typical, prototypical, stereotypical, archetypal, classic, model, standard, stock, representative, conventional; More

Latest posts

Latest posts