What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bitcoin Talk

Kankakee

Bitcoin tension rise as investers claim banks freezing accounts

Bitcoin investors are claiming Australia's banks are freezing their accounts and transfers to cryptocurrency exchanges, with a viral tweet slamming the big four and an exchange platform putting a restriction on Australian deposits.

Cryptocurrency trader and Youtuber Alex Saunders called out National Australia Bank, ANZ, the Commonwealth Bank of Australia and Westpac Banking Corporation on Twitter for freezing customer accounts and transfers to four different bitcoin exchanges - CoinJar, CoinSpot, CoinBase and BTC Markets.

Commonwealth Bank’s June 2017 terms and conditions for CommBiz accounts specifically excludes this activity, saying it can refuse to process an international money transfer or an international cash management transaction “because the destination account previously has been connected to a fraud or an attempted fraudulent transaction or is an account used to facilitate payments to Bitcoins or similar virtual currency payment services”.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/bit...-freezing-their-accounts-20171229-p4yy3z.html

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Expect more of this to happen. Just another reason crypto will thrive, once people quit tying their personal information to their accounts. ;) It's the connection with banking causing the problem, crypto works great without them.

No strings, no ties.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Expect more of this to happen. Just another reason crypto will thrive, once people quit tying their personal information to their accounts. ;) It's the connection with banking causing the problem, crypto works great without them.

No strings, no ties.

Only way I know to keep banks uninvolved is to use cash at a BTC atm.

I’m pretty sure paying with a credit/debt card attaches banking info.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
seems the networks need to upscale to deal with this organic growth..they will pick up the slack soon

If I have bitcoin than how do I access my bitcoin cash? since they came on the seen people have been telling me I have both but cant find much info on it????

Douglas.Curtis

If I have bitcoin than how do I access my bitcoin cash? since they came on the seen people have been telling me I have both but cant find much info on it????
Download the bitcoin cash wallet. Copy the wallet.dat file from your bitcoin wallet directory to the bitcoin cash wallet directory. Start it up and any btc you had in the btc wallet (at the time of the bcc hardfork) will show the same amount in your bcc wallet. :)

HereIgrowagain

There seems to be a hell of a lot of pyramid type Ponzi schemes trying to get folks in to bitcoin with £50 investments. At least they seem like pyramid.??? Be nice if I understood it all lol.

Chappi

Just ask, there’s some people with solid knowledge on here. Can’t guarantee they’sll answer though haha

Douglas.Curtis

There was a new hardfork right?
I actually quit paying much attention to bitcoin. I have about .004 in a wallet I don't touch, it'll suck up any new hardforks and I can get around to wallets eventually. lol I believe I have .004 in bitcoingold or whatever. There was bitcoin cash and bitcoin gold, something about segwit happened recently but I don't believe it created a new coin and was more an update to bitcoin. (their network is lagged because it's slow and inefficient for anything really useful)

My story? My story is I wish I'd saved my btc. I never had much, but it would have been worth a lot more now. lol Now I have more information than I have money to invest. Day late and a dollar shy, if you know the expression. :)

Chappi

Douglas have you heard of the lightning network and how it’s supposed to speed up the network by creating small mini transactions off the blockchain?

S

sourpuss

Was gon a say bullish on bitcoin cause of lightning network. More i think about it im bearish cause the bitcoin model costs too much to mine. Lightning is a bandaid i dont see a big drop in fees, miners still gotta get paid. Bitcoin needs complete overhaul. Still shitcoin to me...

Bet it still goes up cause of lightning but will still trend down imo... just my opinion...

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
I;d like to se posters inthis thread declare whether they have crypto holdings or not.

Of course impossible to verify, but it would certainly put some perspective on people's opinions... if you aren't holding and giving advice... imo that's just noise.

I thank everyone who is keeping this discussion going. I can;t control the flow of the discussion but I think it is more valuable coming from people who actually have holdings and are putting their money where their mouths are.

Naysayers and negative talkers without a stake in the game are armchair quarterbacks afaic

-C

cryptop

There seems to be a hell of a lot of pyramid type Ponzi schemes trying to get folks in to bitcoin with £50 investments. At least they seem like pyramid.??? Be nice if I understood it all lol.

You're referring to ICOs I assume? They don't really qualify as a "ponzi" scheme, just more a straight scam. How the process works is they write a nice white paper, gather a decent enough sounding developer team, and raise funds for the ICO by people buying their tokens with either BTC or ETH. The developers just take that BTC/ETH and don't follow through with anything. It's made multimillionaires out of many people in the past 12 months or so.

Latest posts

Latest posts