What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ISO-3 by D Gold

Moosewinkle

Just received my ISO3 last week (S/N 44) and am looking forward to putting it to good use.

I have 500ml of Anhydrous Ethyl Alcohol I have been holding onto for 10 years waiting to put it to good use and will use it for my first run.

Just need to pick up a Büchner funnel and some dry ice.

#teamiso

Zapadra

Just received my ISO3 last week (S/N 44) and am looking forward to putting it to good use.

I have 500ml of Anhydrous Ethyl Alcohol I have been holding onto for 10 years waiting to put it to good use and will use it for my first run.

Just need to pick up a Büchner funnel and some dry ice.

#teamiso

Hanging onto for a decade? Is it that difficult to come by there?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Things are testing out, seem to be in alignment, and should come together, check out the progress on the centrifugal device I cooked up to do the initial flash cold solvent extraction/filtering.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7868992&postcount=186

The ISO-3 will be used for solvent recovery.

Though, I'm sure many an alchemist will be satisfied by the ISO-3's actual extraction prowess on a wide range of organic materials. :biggrin:

Ethyl acetate is coming the day after tomorrow. I should be posting up results in a few days.

Picture of a bottle of anhydrous ethanol when a pint went for $16.

Btw, the methyl acetate pictured has an extremely wicked nail polish remover smell, and a high evaporation rate similar to acetone. Acetone is also a FDA USP Class 3 solvent considered safe, as is MEK and MIBK, but all three are on the DEA Chemical Precursor List 2. I won't be testing acetone, MEK, and MIBK at this time, maybe later.

Attachments

• P1030134.jpg
    P1030134.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 37
  • P1030136.jpg
    P1030136.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 43
  • P1030138.jpg
    P1030138.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Moosewinkle

Hanging onto for a decade? Is it that difficult to come by there?

In order to buy anything over 151 proof you have to apply to the liquor control govt dept. I prefer a lower profile. I lucked out one time and was able to buy without showing a permit.

I was able to find some 151 proof Everclear yesterday which before liquor store privatization a few years ago wouldn't be possible to find on the shelf. I will run this through the ISO3 for my second run. Three 750ml (26 oz) bottles should give me enough 190+ proof to run a qp.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I saw people making gummies with a product called the Magical Butter Machine. Was thinking of using it, then running through the ISO - 3 to reclaim the alcohol. It has blender attachment that stirs during the process, but do not know if it is needed.

Was thinking soaking in water to get rid of chlorophyll first, then drying, and just using ISO - 3. Would that be just as good? Would soaking in water wash away much in the way of trichomes? Is there a trick to prevent that?

Here is link to machine -

https://magicalbutter.com/

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm about ready to unpack and set up the ISO-3.

If you're interested in a much larger device, Dave has the ISO-4 Kilomaster about ready for final beta testing.

Moosewinkle

I'm about ready to unpack and set up the ISO-3.

If you're interested in a much larger device, Dave has the ISO-4 Kilomaster about ready for final beta testing.

That's the one for me! ISO-4! Go big.

I am going to raise the bulb in mine closer to the bottom of the vessel for distilling and then run the AC power though a light dimmer rheostat so I can dial down the bulb ala temperature control.

This has me thinking, with a PID controller and a thermocouple you could have a nice closed loop temp control with digital display.

It's always fun to get a new tool.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
In order to buy anything over 151 proof you have to apply to the liquor control govt dept. I prefer a lower profile. I lucked out one time and was able to buy without showing a permit.

I was able to find some 151 proof Everclear yesterday which before liquor store privatization a few years ago wouldn't be possible to find on the shelf. I will run this through the ISO3 for my second run. Three 750ml (26 oz) bottles should give me enough 190+ proof to run a qp.

Can you use the ISO-3 to redistill your 151 like you can with a normal still? I would think you could, the light bulb most likely cannot boil the water fraction. It should be the same as reclaiming from the herbal material. Evaporate and distill the ethanol while the water stays where it is. That ethanol should be around 90% or so.

EDIT: that's just what you were saying, I missed the part at the end.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
What I am worried about, purifying Ethyl Alcohol, is whether it produces Methyl alcohol, like a still does from scratch. I would be trying to get 190 proof to 200 proof.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
What I am worried about, purifying Ethyl Alcohol, is whether it produces Methyl alcohol, like a still does from scratch. I would be trying to get 190 proof to 200 proof.

I don't believe that redistilling will produce any other byproducts. When doing an initial distillation, it is possible to pull these from the "head" and/or "tail" from the mash.

Without adding a drying agent, you will never get 200 proof with a still. Maybe if you kept everything under vacuum it would be possible. It will absorb water from the atmosphere as soon as you open the bottle.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ISO-2, ISO-4, and ISO-3

Attachments

• IMG_2242-30-03-17-12-45.jpg
    IMG_2242-30-03-17-12-45.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 46

Medfinder

Chemon 91
That's the one for me! ISO-4! Go big.

I am going to raise the bulb in mine closer to the bottom of the vessel for distilling and then run the AC power though a light dimmer rheostat so I can dial down the bulb ala temperature control.

This has me thinking, with a PID controller and a thermocouple you could have a nice closed loop temp control with digital display.

It's always fun to get a new tool.

iso-4? still looking for link or info.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
iso-4? still looking for link or info.

We have SN-001 ISO-4 headed our way for beta testing. More info after we've had our way with her................ Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort.....