What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stainless Steel Fittings

Sunfire

Veteran
Oh yeah bro I wasn't implying you were at all. I know your one of the good guys! Sorry if I came off that way.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Most of us use JIC everywhere as the 1/4 hoses have the dual cone seal and will hook up to the SAE or JIC fittings, you are correct the 3/8 is different. So putting a 1/4 ORB to 1/4 JIC or 1/4 SAE fitting on the pump would be the same outcome for most of us. HVAC stuff will most likely always be SAE flare.

I posted a chart a few weeks ago in another thread about the threading compatibilities between JIC and SAE.

I ordered 3/8" JIC flare from stainlesssteelfittings.com ....

I guess the hoses are SAE, not compatible with JIC.....

UGHHHHH... So are the flare fittings here 3/8" flare (see link below) what I want???

http://www.installationpartssupply....ittings-connector-flare-mpt.html#.VMf0dNJ4qxA

Thanks for the help, this is not as easy as one would think.

:joint:

Sunfire

Veteran
Yes all of installation parts fittings are sae 45 degree. They don't sell any for jic because they specialize in installation stuff, not hydraulic and tractor stuff.

Just give em a ring though and they will tell you.

Make sure to ask if the items are in stock or not, if they arnt than it takes 10 days to get to you in cali. Their ss run through tee is one of those parts but it's worth having to y the pump lines back to the tank. Saves you from using one more hose and one less connection to potentially leak.

Sunfire

Veteran
That's why I called them. I always call and double check stock availability, shipping times, and reconfirm part details before placing any order. A lot of times I point out typos or mistakes.

Sunfire

Veteran
Ok I'm an asshole... turns out paragon ' s hose is only like 40 cents a foot less than discount hydraulics. Their fittings are like 1 less too. I'm still not sure if discount hydraulics hose is static dissipating or not and whether their fittings are stainless, I'll call tomorrow and find those out.

Also, jim at paragon can't seem to get a hold of ss 1/4 fitting for the 3/8 (-6) hose, damn it! Idk if he charges an assembly fee or not, DH charges 10$ per hose, I'll find that out later too.

Paragon silicone jacketed hose IS 1/4 the price of parkers however you don't need it really.

Sunfire

Veteran
Just got off the phone with unisource. They can't step down from a 3/8 hose to a 1/4 inch flare fitting, only npt. Which sucks. Plus the guy wouldn't shut up and let me tell him what I wanted, was crazy hard to deal with. And then he told me only the true bore 1/4 hose had ss fitting that could seat both sae and jic. The nominal -4 hose flare fitting would need to be specified sae or jic, also sucks.

Looking like discount hydraulics might be the way to go if you want 3/8 hose with 1/4 fittings.

flatslabs

I'm still not sure if discount hydraulics hose is static dissipating or not and whether their fittings are stainless, I'll call tomorrow and find those out.

If you are talking about conductive PTFE, it will be black. The non conductive stuff is always white or slightly yellow depending on if its been recycled or virgin PTFE.

Looking like discount hydraulics might be the way to go if you want 3/8 hose with 1/4 fittings.

I made my own adapter with 3/8 JIC to 1/4 NPT, 1/4 Mini Ball Valve, 1/4 NPT to 1/4 JIC, 6" hose. But then again I use a 3/8 JIC hose.

If you are going the route with building a sieve container, your tri clamp end caps should have NPT threaded connections, you could adapt on each side of that if necessary.

Sunfire

Veteran
The sieve housings will be inline and on the machine itself on top of the 1.5" ferrules on the lid. I can adjust things for sure but ss adapters to go from the tanks and pumps to the 3/8 hose will be expensive in ss.

Yeah I'm sure DH ' s hose isn't conductive, hopefully their fittings are ss, that'll same me time and money plus have 3/8 hose.

lol i saw this but wanted to see how many people would miss it. good find man :huggg:

Ya I was thinking about see how long it took too ;) Did not want it to turn into a troll fest though.

I was at work and in a hurry when I posted only the link. I will try to spell it out better next time.

flatslabs

Sorry, that one stainless part in a sea of brass was hard to spot.

If you could find me the JIC equivalent it would be much appreciated, haven't come across one in my searches

flatslabs

I would be using 3/8 Male to 1/4 Female to screw onto a filter dryer with an SAE fitting is the problem. I don't think those reducers have the dual-cone seal like the hose fittings do.

What I really need is 3/8 Male JIC to 1/4 Female Flare SAE in stainless. Seems like my best bet is 3/8 to 1/4 JIC Male Flare Tube union and keep using my 6" hose between that and the filter dryer.

http://www.stainlesssteelfittings.com/JIC_AN_Flare_Tube_Union_stainless_2403_p/ss-2403.htm