What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Mill's Pride Club

sumo

I have used both. People go overboard IMO cooling these lights. I only use a 4" centrifugal. Depends on your ambient temps . I grow in basement and don't cool my 400w per se. Another strategy is to box the light in like a vented hood but just vent it out a hole in top of hood with no active venting. This will keep temps below light much cooler.

G

6 inch fan is overkill, unless the fan is not up to par....shit i have cooled two 1000's with one six inch fan

I use a 4 inch vortex with a 400 watter, and temps stay about 2 to 4 degrees above ambient throughout the year. If need be I could actually lower the fan with my speed controller to about half power, and it would still get the job done. More pics comming soon, been a lil lazy

good info doobie

J

JH151399-OG

Jnugg said:
It is a fact that given the grower has experience and has his/her growspace in complete control ie;Temps,RH%,ventilation etc. etc., that a 400w HID will give you denser buds than those produced by a 250w HID.

With a 250w HID you would have less heat therefore elimintaing theneed for a 6" 400+cfm inline exhuast fan which would add more to the elec bill.You will get 50wpsf which means you will get a nice yeild and you can still produce some dense nuggets depending on strain/variety of MJ but they still won't be as dense as the nuggets produced by a 400w or greter HID.

Oh, I didn't understand what you were trying to say, but I get it now. Yeah, that is true... although some guys here could show us a thing or two with a 250!

The thing is, one should use the light that is best suited for their cab, their budget, and their style of growing. Everyone knows the more watts of HID you put out, the more intense the light is. THAT is what it's all about... light intensity.

Man, I wish I had enough space (and money, lol) to build my own cab! When i graduate and move into a house, I think I will. It's rubbermaid for now, though.

Jnugg

Veteran
Goodluck with the rubbermaid thing and sorry for flaming you/it.I started out years and years ago with fluoros and I just never got the results I got from my good old trusty 400w HPS.My fluoro buds were aways loose,leafy and airy (some indicas were almost decent dnsity wise) but they did get me stoned.

I guess it is all in a grower/smokers prefferance,like me for example...I guess you could call me a connessuier of pot.When I buy pot I want the best dank that money can buy and nothing less.When I grow or buy I want the densest,frostiest nugs money can buy but why,well I just enjoy fine cannabis the way a wine lover loves a beautiful vintage bottle of wine.

AbbieDoobie

Oh, yeah, the question about 250 v. 400 was answered long ago, I think. The 400 is the clear winner. I think ol' Maliboo was just skeered or somethin'. LOL But, really, get a 400hps and just cool it with a 4" Vortex turned all the way up. I've been doing that in my shed all fall/winter/spring so far. When I start getting those 70+ degree days consistently, then it will be time to rev up the ol' portable a/c. But, the 400 stays in, even in an outdoor shed with the sun bearing down on it. Now, I save the 250 for the beginning of the grow, and for reveggin' moms. Take care, y'all...

~Abbie :joint:

sumo

Mal switched to a 400 before he took off.I half suspected he was using 400w to get the yields he did. I did three full grows under the 250 and never got 6 ounces. I thought I would be vegging with the old 250 but I'm too lazy to switch. The sprouts looked pretty funny under that 400w. Without a canopy to absorb the light, it bounces off floor and blinds you. I have an old pair of serenghetti's that broke in the middle that I rigged with twist ties to wear while playing with plants. The intense light is good for the psyche during the dark winter blues period. I'm sure I would want my winter garden even if I stopped smoking. Maybe I would grow tomatos. Be hard waiting three months for good tomatos. For good bud well worth the time and effort.

Last edited:

bostrom155

Heres a few pics of my c22, it has a 400HPS, with the big stanley blower, pulling air from the cool tube and blowing into carbon area the out back of cab

J

JH151399-OG

Jnugg said:
Goodluck with the rubbermaid thing and sorry for flaming you/it.I started out years and years ago with fluoros and I just never got the results I got from my good old trusty 400w HPS.My fluoro buds were aways loose,leafy and airy (some indicas were almost decent dnsity wise) but they did get me stoned.

I guess it is all in a grower/smokers prefferance,like me for example...I guess you could call me a connessuier of pot.When I buy pot I want the best dank that money can buy and nothing less.When I grow or buy I want the densest,frostiest nugs money can buy but why,well I just enjoy fine cannabis the way a wine lover loves a beautiful vintage bottle of wine.

Thanks for the well-wishes, and no harm done!

I agree, good pot is great. One day I do hope to have a cab. Then I too will have dense, frosty ass nugs. But right now I'm just fed up with schwagg and am making due with what I got. :D

It's all about the head man, and then all is well with the world!

monkeyman

I'm trying to decide whether the cab I bought today will work or whether I should return it and get a Mill's. What I like about the one I bought is its bigger then the Mill's I saw at Home Depot.

What I really don't like is that its entirely made of plastic. Its a pretty sturdy plastic, but I don't know how much I trust it to hold weight (like a suspended fan, light, etc) and not have the holes rip out. Anyone grow in a plastic cab before? Or do you think I should go with the Mills?

Thanks

sumo

If it is going to sit in one place for a long time the Mills cabs are good but HEAVY. I will have to disassemble mine if I ever have to move it. If you are going to move often or move the cab up and down stairs seasonally a light weight alternative is in order which should be explored by those who need it. Then of course educate the rest of us. Now get busy.

G

Remember to measure 3 times and cut once! Plan very strategicly, remember things change alot from the begenning to the end of a grow. Equipment placement is vital....

Give us some info what you plan on doing, I am sure all of us would like to give our opinions.

sumo

Yes. That is why we are here. It is much more fun to sit on our asses smoking some kind bud helping, argueing, and critiqueing your box than to build one. My preference-SIMPLE,No shelf, vent out back and have all timers,ducting,ballasts behind cab. Go with one or two darkroom vents. Which would you rather do? Drill 5- 2" holes which really isn't enough or one about 8" square hole using hand or jig saw? Keep it simple and complicate as needed. Good luck.

G

First decide what you are looking to get out of your cab. Obviously this is more than just herb, for example it could be stealthness or something. My needs demanded a stealth cab, so I went from there. Find out what your situation calls for, and build accordingly. Leave room to expand or add-to if there are multiple ways of accomplishing something. Don't forget the back piece tho, you will want to buy a new piece for the back.

AbbieDoobie

Also, if you consider cutting holes in the floor, like the Maliboo model, then consider also putting down 1x2's along the floor on which to set the plants. This way you can set your plants anywhere and there will be grooves between the 1x2's for the air to pass through. And no holes get covered up by the pots. With a C13 and this 1x2 design, you can fit 9 of the 8" pots from HD in there. With about 1.5 oz. per plant, you then have potentially a 13.5 oz. yield! This is what I was shooting for with some SD clones, but fucked it up. This 9 pot scenario would also be possible with darkroom venting.

bostrom155

AbbieDoobie said:
With a C13 and this 1x2 design, you can fit 9 of the 8" pots from HD in there. With about 1.5 oz. per plant, you then have potentially a 13.5 oz. yield!

Wow, I need to learn more about getting my yeild up, I'm only getting 14-18 grams with my 8". I'm double potting this time from a 8" cut the bottom and into a 3 gallon. Hope this helps

sumo

Double potting will add too much height to plants in your already vertically challenged cab. You have plenty of elbow room in there. Be better to go with 5 -10" pots. You have capability of bigger fuller buds for sure.

G

Sumo is right saying that larger pots will get bigger fuller buds, but smaller pot sizes work well also. Re-potting is a must with soil plants, and there are ways to keep the vertical space used to a minimum. Starting in solo cups helps....

I grow fewer plants bush style, because I like more of the larger denser nugs. It is possible to yield great doing this, but I think it is easier to yield more effictively with more plant count. Doing the 1 or 1 and a half ounce baseball bat plants is efficient as a motha.....

sumo

Well, all my pics are being held hostage in OG's servers. Freedom of information act baby. Free my pics! Anyway, trust me I can grow. Here are my ladies at 5 wk veg. 3 nir ak48 and two shishkaberry a friend gave me. The 400 watt light sits 7 inches from plant in veg and as you can see they are healthy. No fancy air cooled tube ,hood. My ambient temps are 67f right now though.