What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diesel Ryder SOG in a 150w HPS Mini Fridge

jus'plain'gill

Thanks man! Im not exactly sure what you mean with the male & trich coverage. Do males produce trichomes?!?! I would like to pollinate another female soon with a nice strong male, but probably not for another grow or two. Id like to pick the healthiest male & female from a good amount of both and to it that way.

As far as the A11 goes, I think it is very low odor. I am thinking about starting some of them 12/12 from seed and seeing how that goes. Id like to keep them small, or even better find an AF Apollo11 hehe! You have to pretty much pinch a bud & smell your fingers to even smell her! Light lemon/skung fragrance.

All males have some THC content. You can absolutely come across a male with VISIBLE trich coverage! You might even see it on a small percentage if you look close enough. There is no doubt if you rub your hands down the stalk of most males, your hands will be a little sticky (tacky).

I'm more referring to one of those "one in a thousand" males that gives you visible frostiness (along with other desirable traits of course) to use in making more and better seed. You said you harvested something like 470 seeds... that's a good size gene pool and in your time with it you may run across some interesting DRs, guys and girls.

Keep it up and good luck!

.JPG

KolorBlind

All males have some THC content. You can absolutely come across a male with VISIBLE trich coverage! You might even see it on a small percentage if you look close enough. There is no doubt if you rub your hands down the stalk of most males, your hands will be a little sticky (tacky).

I'm more referring to one of those "one in a thousand" males that gives you visible frostiness (along with other desirable traits of course) to use in making more and better seed. You said you harvested something like 470 seeds... that's a good size gene pool and in your time with it you may run across some interesting DRs, guys and girls.

Keep it up and good luck!

.JPG

Ahhhh ok I had no idea that males could develop trichs even as a rare pheno, thats amazing! If I get anything like that I will most certainly use it to pollinate a good looking female. Sorry for taking so long to reply, work has been absolutely CRAZY this month, and doesn't seem like it's slowing down any!

One odd thing about this grow so far is the branching. I knew that due to the low spectrum of an HPS and it being the only light in there that the plants would branch some but what's happening is just weird. Some plants have branches that start at the base of the plant, grow way out like a wide "V" and are as tall if not TALLER than the main stem. Other plants are pretty much one tall main stem with smaller branches starting halfway up the plant and are kept in pretty close to the main stalk in sort of a narrow "V" shape. I am definitely excited about the diversity, I just hope they don't grow so big that they wont all fit in there easily. The ones with major branching will have at minimum 3 top buds, and maybe even 5. They will also have multiple lower buds. I have done no cutting at all, but it's like 3 or 4 of my ladies have topped themselves! The others that have less branching will hopefully end up being one FAT cola with a couple little side buds.

The plants spent probably 2 straight days VERY close to the bulb. The ones in the middle row were 2 inches from the bare HPS for at LEAST 24 hours or more, and there is no bleaching or burning. The leaves were starting to curl slightly, and I wanted to make sure the plants got big enough so I lowere the shelf 3" and evened the canopy back out. The root systems on these things are 10x healthier looking than any plant I have harvested. As soon as I get home tonight I will be posting pictures of the ladies & their roots, as well as a DR I just harvested and a branch I cut off my Apollo11 for sampling!

Peace
KB

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Glad things are working well, KB. (that avatar cracks my ass up good) When I saw that phat ass fan and filter I knew you meant bidness. My town dump has 50 or so fridges sitting around. If I had a truck I'd already have one home as a project. Sold my damn truck though.

KolorBlind

Glad things are working well, KB. (that avatar cracks my ass up good) When I saw that phat ass fan and filter I knew you meant bidness. My town dump has 50 or so fridges sitting around. If I had a truck I'd already have one home as a project. Sold my damn truck though.

Thanks for the kind words DB, glad you like my avatar :) My wife actually helped me pick it out! As far as your town dump situation goes....you gotta know SOMEBODY that owns a truck haha! If I could do it all over I would probably try to find a tall freezer with a lock built into the handle. Also, I will probably never again grow in my garage. The mini fridge is inside where the ambient temps are always 72-76F but in the garage it has fluctuated like crazy! I dont know that they would even survive with less that 12 hours of dark in the summer. But it is a great camouflage!

I took a LOT of pictures in the last couple days and I had to clear em off the camera before taking more for the update. I will post them here and then post a mini fridge update afterward. Within all those pictures were a few i snapped of my recent harvest, my single Diesel Ryder that has been chillin on 12/12 (I know, Im cruel) in my large fridge. It spent its first 35 days of life under a 150w HPS, then spent 8 weeks directly under (2" or less) a 68w CFL. Here it is just after chopping. I hung it for 3 days without trimming anything.
picture.php

Here it is after 3 days of drying and freshly trimmed. It felt slightly crispyto the touch so i figured it was time for it to go in a jar. This was taken before cutting the stem off & weighing.
picture.php

The wife and I pulled 3 decent size buds total before harvesting, we were BONE dry!! lol. After ganking 3 buds and drying, my total weight was 6.9 grams. i would estimate the total weight at around 9 grams with what we picked off. Not too bad considering it was an AF strain on 12/12 all through harvest and stayed in a small 6" pot.
picture.php

Now another set of pictures I found on my card were from my recent sampling of my BEAUTIFUL Apollo11/Green Giant. The lower branches were about a foot long with SUPER trichome covered buds on them, and they looked so lonely all the way down at the bottom of the plant so I clipped one off to give it some company :) Here is a closeup of the bud just before hanging it in my closet to dry. Mind you this was one of the SMALLEST buds at the very bottom of a 29" tall plant.
picture.php

And here it is hanging in the closet. It had a coupel little micro buds lower on the stem too :) The cut was made right at the base of the main stalk.
picture.php

Here we are after 2 days drying and a trim job. Total weight was .8 grams on this beauty :p
picture.php

And the sugar trim I cut off of it. I ended up chopping it up finer and rolling it in with a joint of the bud :) I could never let all those beautiful crystals go to waste!! :joint::joint::joint:
picture.php

So that's what I have been up to this week. The A11/GG is by far the LEAST smelly plant I have, but EASILY the most crystal covered. The smoke hit fast & hard, and lasted a good long while. A few trichomes up on the top bud are beginning to turn amber, so I am thinking 1 week tops before I harvest her. And as well as the small bottom bud smoked after a crappy quick dry, Im sure the large buds will be VERY potent after curing, I cant wait. OK Im off to take pics of the girls in the mini fridge, will be posting an update within the hour.

Peace
KB

KolorBlind

DAY 28

Plant Stage: Flower
Light Cycle: 20/4
Light: 150w 2000k HPS
Current Medium:
Sunshine Mix w/ 1 Cup of Bone Meal
Current Nutrients: Schultz Plant Food (10-15-10) two droppers full per Gallon & Molasses 1Tbls per Gallon Every Other Watering
Strain: Diesel Ryder Autoflower

And we're back with another weekly picture update :) I hope some of you are as excited as i was comparing the pics to last week. I swear when i retire, I am going to grow some AF strain right by my recliner so I can just sit there every waking minute for 8 weeks watching it grow. I turn my back on these things for 9 hours and I dont even recognize them after. Some are quite a bit taller than others, but I have tried my best, using squares of Styrofoam, to even out the canopy. I placed all the taller girls up front so that they weren't in the middle shading other plants. They are also about 1" higher than the canopy level to make up for the extra distance form the bulb vs. being in the middle row. Here they are on day 21.
picture.php

Their root structure looks incredible. Probably 3 days after transplanting, every bottle had multiple roots touching the bottom. i wish I had taken this picture just before watering, they were all swollen up & stretched out. I watered yesterday so here they are still a bit wet and dingy, but still look great! As far as I can tell the lower roots are getting no light due to the shade form the canopy.
picture.php

Here is a shot from the front, my 3 largest ladies right up front. The one in the middle has branched the most, just yesterday the left side branch was taller than the main one, then the main stem shot WAY up today. The ones on the left & right seem more tight with shorter branches.
picture.php

Starting to get some trich coverage on most of them, YAY!
picture.php

I havent really mentioned it much, but there was still one plant other than the 8 that never showed sex. It stayed the same size for about a week and a half, then started growing all of a sudden one day. It looks a bit deformed, only one 3 tipped leaf instead of 2, but I found out today its a male anyways so he got the chop just after this was taken.
picture.php

I really hope the plants continue to grow a bit, I have about 2 more inches I can lower the shelf before its resting on the "hump". If they grow past that I will remve the shelf and place the 2 shortest ones on the back "hump" while the other 6 will be stacked accordingly on the bottom of the mini fridge. If they only grew another 2" tall I suppose that would be OK, but I may not make my goal of a 1/2oz per plant.

The exciting days are almost upon us, wish me luck and stay tuned for more updates. Ill post another picture update in 1 week. Thanks to everyone for all the support and kind words. I see that this thread has over 1500 views now so hopefully it has helped to inspire some people. I would highly recommend the cab, bulb & strain to anyone, they have all proven very effective & well worth the time involved. The only exception to that would be the pungent odor of the strain, if stealth is an issue it would probably be way too strong.

Peace
KB

Shred42O

nice progess man gonna have some sweet nugs in that cab soon
your babies look about just as far along as my nothern lights i got going

and iam not sure about a AF nothernlights but iam diffently gonna try to grow it 12/12 from seed next time around cause it just takes off insane when flowering hits
the run i have going right now they vegged for a few weeks and i regret it now cause they are wayyy to tall haha they are filling up the marjority of my 5 feet of vertical space

KolorBlind

nice progess man gonna have some sweet nugs in that cab soon
your babies look about just as far along as my nothern lights i got going

and iam not sure about a AF nothernlights but iam diffently gonna try to grow it 12/12 from seed next time around cause it just takes off insane when flowering hits
the run i have going right now they vegged for a few weeks and i regret it now cause they are wayyy to tall haha they are filling up the marjority of my 5 feet of vertical space

Thanks for the kind words Shred!!

If you do decide to grow 12/12 from seed PLEASE hit me up with a link for the grow!! :) Im very excited to see how well NL performs at 12/12 from seed. If I knew I could keep some NL shorter than about 20 inches, I would buy some for sure! I bet your girls right now are MONSTERS! lol, I have seen some pics of large NL grows and man they get HUGE if you let them!

KB

jus'plain'gill

I love the group shot in your last update, it shows a couple nice phenos. The one on the left and the one on the right in front look stockier and very branchy and they're incredibly filled in for 28 days! I'm looking forward to the progress in the next few weeks, should give a good idea if you'll get that 1/2 oz avg. I see a couple that will help that avg, no problem :)

How would you like a plant that acts very similar to the Diesel Ryder but has the notoriously low odor of something like NL? I hope thats at the top of some breeders list because the stink on those DRs is killer!

Keep up the good work

.JPG

Last edited:

Shred42O

yea man ill post up some pics of my babies sittin under my 150 later when they get more full of buds then after that iam starting up the 12/12

i know you could keep these babies under 20 inches with enough training probaly lst and sog
iam pushing for 5oz this time around i got my fingers crossed i got 4 last time around with no training

best of luck on your current setup man

tripnoncid

Hey man nice mini fridge grow you got going there :)
I just gutted one myself and for the most part at least with the kenmore mini fridge I have I turned the fridge onto it's back and jumped on the hump part and it's nearly formed like the rest of the bottom...no more hump...fine tuning with the hammer after that will make it even better....oh and the foam insulation...for sure a huge pain in the arse.
trip

KolorBlind

I just gutted one myself and for the most part at least with the kenmore mini fridge I have I turned the fridge onto it's back and jumped on the hump part and it's nearly formed like the rest of the bottom...no more hump...fine tuning with the hammer after that will make it even better....oh and the foam insulation...for sure a huge pain in the arse.
trip

No shit?!?! You were able to just force it backwards?? MAN why didnt I think of that?!?! ahha, Ive already cut two 4" holes in the hump, which would make it a bit harder but Im still willing to try, maybe after another grow or two. Got a thread going for your grow? Oh and thanks for stopping by!!

KB

sxf0516

yo kb, i use to message you on roll it up. im working on making seeds of diesel ryder right now and im also using some diesel pollen to pollinate a bubble gum plant so i can hopefully make a "bubba diesel" autoflower cross.

KolorBlind

DAY 35

Plant Stage: Flower
Light Cycle: 20/4
Light: 150w 2000k HPS
Current Medium:
Sunshine Mix w/ 1 Cup of Bone Meal
Current Nutrients: Schultz Plant Food (10-15-10) three droppers full per Gallon & Molasses 2Tbls per Gallon Every Other Watering
Strain: Diesel Ryder Autoflower

Just a quick picture update for now, its late and I have to get up in 7 hours :wallbash::wallbash:

The girls at day 35. The buds are starting to fill in NICELY!
picture.php

Front shot!
picture.php

My largest 4, including the stretchy behemoth on the left that wont have many long buds.
picture.php

My smallest 4, they are also younger. The 2 on the left will probably stay very small and the ones on the right may shoot up a bit, or just fatten.
picture.php

I also chopped down my Apollo11, here are some pics I took:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

She was just at 26" tall, and the night before i chopped her she leaned over into a CFL so one of the top buds it a bit fried as you can see in the above picture. I have clipped probably 5 or 6 small lower branches off now to smoke a few joints. I would say maybe 4g total tops. She has been hanging for a couple days now, will probably take a week for that top fat bud to dry out enough to put it in a jar.

Thanks for stopping by everyone, Ill be keeping you up to date between posts as much as I can.

Peace
KB

idontsmoke

trip

Hey tripnoncid,

Went through your gallery and may i say, those are some awesome buds u are growing in there! :joint:

On the fridge subject, can u post just a teeny tiny pic of that fridge of yours.
I am very interested in that "hump" bashing and bending to shape. Maybe tutorial? :crazy:
Just a quick picture update for now, its late and I have to get up in 7 hours :wallbash::wallbash:

The girls at day 35. The buds are starting to fill in NICELY!
http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=6564&pictureid=158755
Front shot!
http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=6564&pictureid=158756

My largest 4, including the stretchy behemoth on the left that wont have many long buds.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=6564&pictureid=158757

My smallest 4, they are also younger. The 2 on the left will probably stay very small and the ones on the right may shoot up a bit, or just fatten.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=6564&pictureid=158758

She was just at 26" tall, and the night before i chopped her she leaned over into a CFL so one of the top buds it a bit fried as you can see in the above picture. I have clipped probably 5 or 6 small lower branches off now to smoke a few joints. I would say maybe 4g total tops. She has been hanging for a couple days now, will probably take a week for that top fat bud to dry out enough to put it in a jar.

Thanks for stopping by everyone, Ill be keeping you up to date between posts as much as I can.

Peace
KB

Way to go man!
tell me one thing, what is the distance between your tallest plant and the lamp atm?
Can you shoot one pic of the whole fridge with girls inside? plz plz plz :D

Stay green!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
KB, I've always left the main stem fans unless they die off. I've been cutting main fans on the latest 2 plants as they're indica dominate and larger than sats. They also seem to allow less light through than sats. I've read light can penetrate through a fan as much as 85%. Anywho, cutting the main fans seems to speed up the secondary fan growth. As the secondary fans get almost as big as primaries, I continue to remove these and allow more penetration into the lower central part of the plant.

I don't really know if I'm making any difference yield wise but lower growth seems to benefit from this method. By harvest the only fans left are small secondaries and two or three fans off the cola. Trims are easier than typical grows. With little fan removal, much of the buds have only half blades sticking out of the bud. A progressive removal of fans seems to speed the growth of blades and many expose the fan stem, making trims easier and buds seem to have less leaf between harvested bud nodes.

Any thoughts? One of these days I'll grow a true sog as most of my grows get a little big in veg and want to branch. I used to think the more fans, the more bud. Now I'm reconsidering as large fans act as water reservoirs. This really helps outside when rain in low, but we don't have this problem indoors.

KolorBlind

Way to go man!
tell me one thing, what is the distance between your tallest plant and the lamp atm?
Can you shoot one pic of the whole fridge with girls inside? plz plz plz :D

Stay green!

I usually try to keep the distance between the light & my smallest plant right at 4 inches, sometimes 3.5. Its really amazing how much that little PC fan cools the air between the bulb & plants! The furthest plant is probably 7 inches from the bulb, but still about 4" below it...if that makes sense. I will try to snap a pic for you tonight, I am just like you I love me some good cab porn!!

Apollo looks amazing.
Great job.

Gotten a chance to smoke any of it? Does it go straight to your head?

Actually yes I have cut a few samples from it already. I was absolutely amazed at the quality considering I cut the lowest branches with maybe .5g of dry bud each. Straight to the head is a perfect way of describing it, there is absolutely no doubt about when it hits you. This seed will forever be in my collection and hopefully the bud will forever be in my stash box :)

I am actually debating whether or not to do a 12/12 from seed grow with some of my remaining A11 seeds so I can keep them small and pollinate one to get more seeds, I only have 16 left. :yoinks:

KB, I've always left the main stem fans unless they die off. I've been cutting main fans on the latest 2 plants as they're indica dominate and larger than sats. They also seem to allow less light through than sats. I've read light can penetrate through a fan as much as 85%. Anywho, cutting the main fans seems to speed up the secondary fan growth. As the secondary fans get almost as big as primaries, I continue to remove these and allow more penetration into the lower central part of the plant.

I don't really know if I'm making any difference yield wise but lower growth seems to benefit from this method. By harvest the only fans left are small secondaries and two or three fans off the cola. Trims are easier than typical grows. With little fan removal, much of the buds have only half blades sticking out of the bud. A progressive removal of fans seems to speed the growth of blades and many expose the fan stem, making trims easier and buds seem to have less leaf between harvested bud nodes.

Any thoughts? One of these days I'll grow a true sog as most of my grows get a little big in veg and want to branch. I used to think the more fans, the more bud. Now I'm reconsidering as large fans act as water reservoirs. This really helps outside when rain in low, but we don't have this problem indoors.

Yeah I have thought a lot about this myself. I usually dont do any trimming, but when youre working with SOG the fans can get pretty out of control and even hurt the airflow a bit. I will probably use your method his time around as my lower fans are already starting to get a little crazy. Thanks for the thoughts and kind word as usual :)

Peace guys
KB

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
You're welcome. Fans diminish light from adjacent plants and I usually cut em quicker than if they're shading their own. Just a guess.

Latest posts

Latest posts