Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > USA Cannabis Scene: State By State > Arizona > Old School Arizona

Thread Title Search
Buy Cannabis Seeds at Royal Queen Seeds
Old School Arizona Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 09:32 PM #1
mofeta

mofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of light
Old School Arizona

I am starting this thread to discuss the "old days" of herb and herb growing in Arizona.

I was inspired to make this thread by new member Madjag, who made some posts about growing SK1 on the Mogollon Rim in 1978. That story brought back a lot of memories, I am pretty sure I smoked some of that SK1 back then.

Although Arizona didn't have as many growers as California, a lot of good weed was grown here, and vast quantities of good weed came through here from Mexico on it's way to other places.

Those were good days.

Anybody else remember those days? Did you smoke any of the "Blue Afghani" grown in the Pinalenos near Safford in the late '70s? Or Madjag's Rim SK1, or the SK1 grown along the Gila at about the same time? Do you remember Arivaca, Paradise, Peppersauce and Rincon? Or maybe you were farther north, Young in the Anchas, Payson etc.
mofeta is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 PM #2
Phillthy
Seven-Thirty

Phillthy has a reputation beyond reputePhillthy has a reputation beyond reputePhillthy has a reputation beyond reputePhillthy has a reputation beyond reputePhillthy has a reputation beyond reputePhillthy has a reputation beyond reputePhillthy has a reputation beyond reputePhillthy has a reputation beyond reputePhillthy has a reputation beyond reputePhillthy has a reputation beyond reputePhillthy has a reputation beyond repute
some of my buddies in virginia were getting some real nice stuff that they called arizona because thats where it came from. real dank. love to have a cut of whatever it was!

“A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?” - Albert Einstein
Phillthy is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 PM #3
mofeta

mofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of lightmofeta is a glorious beacon of light
Hi Phillthy

If that was recently, it could have been herb actually grown in AZ. There are some real good local strains that are produced in enough quantity to make it around the country. If it was a while back it was probably from Mexico. Not many people are aware of it, but a lot of the good weed they were smoking around the country was from Mexico, coming through Arizona.

Most people in the midwest and east thought of the brick schwag that comes through Texas when they thought of Mexican weed. What they didn't know is that really fine herb from Mexico came through Arizona. A lot of weed sold in the US as being from Callifornia in those days was really from Mexico.

Every year, Tucson and all the border towns like Bisbee, Douglas and Nogales are overrun by people from all over the country looking to buy bales. You start seeing lots of young guys (and girls) driving vans with Wisconsin, NY, Virgina etc license plates. These newbs end up with the middle of the road stuff, that is still pretty good. I've noticed that in the past 10 years or so people on the forums talking about getting "Arizona weed" that while not spectacular, was a lot better than other imports, almost as good as domestic.

The really good stuff was already sold before it came into the US. Italians from NJ and black guys from NY (and others of course) would purchase all the really high grade from the Mexicans, and it would be shipped to other parts of the country immediately. This was really good weed. They would make up stories about where it came from instead of revealing that it was Mexican, so they could sell it at a higher price. Usually they would tell people it was from California.

Even most Arizonans didn't see this stuff because very little of it was sold in AZ, it was all shipped back east. The lucky few who transported it from the border towns to Tucson got some, as did the people who repacked it for going cross country.
mofeta is offline Quote

Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 PM #4
motaco
Old School Cottonmouth

Location: The road to Nowhere. But it's a long way away and it's going day by day so it's alright.
motaco has disabled reputation
Yeah I never personally saw any, but in the last 5 years like mofeta was talking about the stuff called "zona" had gotten pretty popular along the east coast and parts of florida.

Its basically like the quality of lower grades of cali outdoor that are also so prevalent. Not dank weed but like $10 a gram stuff. Ounces are cheaper.

Definitely not medical grade, but definitely not the ditch weed many people generalize as being mexican either. Some stuff tested at the border came in over 10% thc. That is pretty good for baled up mexican weed.
The point I'm trying to make here... is that there there ain't no point to it. Thats all it is. Because there ain't no point. You didn't ask to come here and you sure can't choose how to leave. You don't know when you're going to go. So don't take this shit serious now. You better have some fun and plenty of it. Because when the shit is over and you ask for a refund its too late. All I can tell you is to keep some sunshine on your face. -Mudbone
motaco is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 AM #5
Madjag
More Dhamma, Less Drama

Madjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant future
Old School Arizona - 1972 to Present

Nice, focused thread Mofeta. Should be fun.

As an avid explorer, hiker, backpacker, and Topo map collector I have seen most of the places you listed. A few of the locations you mentioned were under consideration by me and my partners back in 1976 when we were first looking for that special, perfect canyon that eventually came to be called Mad Jag Canyon.

Look for a book coming out on Amazon for Kindle (PDF too?) next month. It will be called "The Year of the Mad Jag" and was written by a friend of mine. It is a work of fiction loosely based upon our experiences. I have not yet read it, but I look forward to it.

Thanks for the invite and new thread. I'll be back soon with a brief history of who (disguised), what, when, and where (displaced). If you've ever been a guerilla grower in the remote regions of Arizona, you and I will have a lot to share.
Madjag is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2012, 05:38 AM #6
mofeta

My Earliest Experiences

In the early-mid '70s I lived in a small mining town in central AZ. The town was >80% Hispanic population. I am about as white as a person can be, but I was immersed in the rich Mexican culture that is found in the small mining towns of AZ. I learned to make tamales, to roll out flour tortillas and cook them on a comal, and to eat menudo with chiltipines on it when I was hung over. I also learned the proper respect for my elders and a distrust of any authority less than God himself. Gracias, Mexico.

Herb was a part of just about everyone's life. Most of the young people smoked, and most of their parents did too. Almost everyone had an uncle that was a marijuano (broker/importer/dealer). Me and my friends never had to buy it, older brothers and tios would give us a handful.

I had one good friend who's older brother was a marijuano with a really nice '63 Impala lowrider. When we got low on smoke, we would go an sit in it and smoke the roaches in the ashtray of his brother's ride and listen to the stereo. The roaches were always really good, because they were from the guy's personal stash.

Obviously, all the weed we had came from Mexico. It was a real smorgasbord of what Mexico had to offer.

We had all the varieties from the south that became famous and that you have probably heard of- Oaxaca, Guerrero, Michoacan etc. These for the most part were light green when treated right by the farmers, and were sweet, anywhere from fresh cut hay to fruity. When the farmers let it ferment it was darker and more earthy and spicy. The stuff from furthest south (like Oaxaca and Gurrero) was finger like buds, small tightly packed calyces. The stuff from a little farther north (like Michoacan) was bigger buds with bigger calyces and had more spicy/earthy tones even when unabused at harvest. For the most part, these were head-high weeds, some real bell ringers. As I was to find out later, these strains made big plants with narrow leaves, and took a long time to mature.

Most of this southern Mex weed was grown on big farms that were dedicated to growing herb. I don't know why, but it seems to me the large-scale production of pot for export from Mexico spread from south to north.

We also had the rare shipment of weed from Colombia or Panama. Most of these were not as good as the Mex but some were real good.

We also had herb from northern states, Sonora and Chihuahua. These were totally different. These were not grown on big farms dedicated to weed production. They were grown by families for personal and medicinal use. The buds were fat and the calyces and stems were big. They were darker green. The smell and taste varied a lot, some were spicy, some hashy, no sweet. The buzz was more full-bodied than the southern stuff. Thats not to say that it wasn't head weed tough, it was. Some of the most trippy weed I've ever smoked was from Sonora. The buzz reminds me of some African varieties I've had since. I later found out that these northern varieties made short, cola dominant plants that matured in September.

Good Days!
mofeta is offline Quote

15 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:04 AM #7
Madjag
More Dhamma, Less Drama

Madjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant futureMadjag has a brilliant future
Yep, and don’t forget to mention that most of the weed available in Jerome, Clifton, and Globe was from Hispanic family members, Mexican relatives, and friends of friends and was surprisingly potent and not yet widespread in the rest of the USA. Read Jerry Kamstra’s book, Weed, for a detailed glimpse (with great photos) into this world.

I spent many a fine evening in Jerome from 1973 to 1979 smoking excellent herb from Oaxaca, Michoacan, Guerrero, and Culiacan in addition to the more exotic imports from Thailand and Colombia. I’ll delve into the importers’ scene later, however the Verde Valley homegrown arena centered upon the Spirit Room in Jerome. Unfortunately bragging and drunken expose engendered the massive busts of the 1970’s in Jerome, Centerville, and Sycamore Flats and brought continuous paranoia and scrutiny upon the Valley’s weed aficionados in the form of narc trainees as well as undercover snitches. The peaceful rule of hippies was threatened and advancing growers like ourselves had to be even more removed from the parties and social life that involved most of the alternate lifestyle folks. It got lonely, so we spent more time in the remote corners of the Mogollon Rim where we felt at peace. We were masters of our terrain and few, few ever ventured near.

It’s strange that so many large movers of herb, peyote, real mescaline, and even LSD had a common bond through myself and Gerardo, AKA, Colombo Johnnie. It was Kevin Baconism before the Six Degrees of Separation were yet imagined. The Verde Valley was Arizona’s equivalent of northern California’s “Emerald Triangle” at that time and even then, oddly enough, we had deep ties to northern California’s chemists, smugglers, and cultivators in Redway, Shelter Cove, and Briceland in addition to New York’s Colombian network.

The Rastas came in later.
Madjag is offline Quote

10 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:37 PM #8
Mtn. Nectar

Mtn. Nectar is just really niceMtn. Nectar is just really niceMtn. Nectar is just really niceMtn. Nectar is just really niceMtn. Nectar is just really niceMtn. Nectar is just really niceMtn. Nectar is just really niceMtn. Nectar is just really niceMtn. Nectar is just really niceMtn. Nectar is just really nice
good read......always prefer local notes ........and do remember well some individuals from southern humby areas noted...........

ganj on.....
Mtn. Nectar is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM #9
Rinse

Rinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really niceRinse is just really nice
Nice thread, I want to go Arizona and grow weed, watermelons and some 8 ft san pedro in the back yard.

Rinse is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:26 PM #10
Madjag
More Dhamma, Less Drama

Boy, Rinse, they all do well in our serious sun and heat. My neighbors have 10 foot tall San Pedro growing within some shaggy-bark Junipers. The Juniper limbs act as support and have allowed the Pedro to keep searching for the sun while avoiding heavy wind damage. Quite cool actually.
Madjag is offline Quote