What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

India Impressions

Gedöns

Hi Forum,

I would like to tell you my small experience on cannabis in India.
I had the chance to live in Bangalore (South India) for a year with some locals. As I traveled with some friends to various places around this incredible country let me give you a short overview.

To get some weed isn't that hard if you don't go fully tourist - in shorts and camera
Knowing a little Hindi or the locale language get's you a sympathy bonus right away, as well as the head wiggle - that one I adapted way to fast :D

I general you should be aware that as a white tourist you will draw attention to you, simply for looking different (some people get the stare at you just wink or smile - worked for me 4/5).
Don't create a scene and try to be discrete with your cash, bla you heard it before.

Always haggle!

Scoring in South India

I found mostly flowers around South India and hash was tricky to get and more expensive. One thing I can tell you beforehand: find yourself a local who knows his weed and you'll be good from there, buying in public occasions will mostly not satisfy you until you put in some effort.

Autoriksha drivers usually know where to get some flowers or sometimes have some on them self. If one doesn't know what you want or is not eager to help you - just try someone else.
It's mostly dark laced flowers and pretty expensive too. Smoked a little of that in the beginning - gets you high, but in a very down and enraptured kind of way.

You can spot the difference, the light green was one of the best we smoked. The laced stuff is dark brown/blackish, there is also brownish outdoor (right picture) around but you can tell by the glued up kinda look.
picture.php
picture.php

Gedöns

Bangalore
We scored at different occasions, but mostly the college crowd will help you out.

Worse than usual -- once we got half tola --
picture.php
picture.php

the best we smoked, really sticky and stinky
picture.php

Mysore
On the old market you will find people who would like to sell to you, here it's the same as with the riksha drivers, quality is poor and prices high. Nonetheless your chance of getting something better increases if you ask around more or tell them it's laced and and you like the better quality (that mostly doesn't go with riksha drivers as their expertise is limited)

The left one is basically just toss and the right one takes you hours to pick out stems and seeds
picture.php

Gedöns

Himalaya Region

The vibe is way different up there, you'll see people smoking on the street and plants everywhere beginning right at the road side and ending right before the police station.
We scored some different charas (hash from live plants) and it was very relaxing but not too strong if you're a daily smoker. Basically the more you get into smaller towns or villages and the further you go, the prices will decrease and the quality increase.
But bare in mind that it's still illegal, it may appear different as it's just to long of a history there to ban it, but if the cops get you you'll be fined.
picture.php

Manali
Go to Old Manali, which is the small part of the town right after the river. You'll find restaurants or cafe's where people smoke up and you can have a chat with either the tourists or the owner and get yourself some charas. It's around 2200-2600 Rs. a tola (11g) so you're paying the tourist price.

Manali is chill for 1-2 days as a starting or ending point of your mountain journey but it's quite touristic and also a lot of indian people travel there.

The tola we purchased there, its really brownish in this picture becaus it's already some 7 days old to that point.
picture.php

Kasol
We've just been there for a night but our Apartment host smoked on with us and even left us some 1g of charas in the morning when we left. It's not that nice of a city, one of the reasons being the weed tourism.

Tosh
Where we scored the best charas on the journey, simply ask your Guesthouse owner or at the cafes and you'll get a hint where to find some. Don't buy too quick here as the supply is pretty decent.

Its a very small town high up in the mountains, you'll have some great treks around.

picture.php
picture.php

Zitz

Great report, I found some stuff in Kerala that looks the same, brownish lots of seed but not compressed like Thai more like individual buds rolled and fermented.

Gedöns

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the awesome feedback.

Great report, I found some stuff in Kerala that looks the same, brownish lots of seed but not compressed like Thai more like individual buds rolled and fermented.

-> I never came across what is called brick weed I think, so it was always uncompressed. Regarding fermantation I came across all variations of harshness. Mostly all of the stuff comes packed together in newspaper.

Basic Info

Material

Loose tobacco for rolling (it's an european thing? :D ) was only to be found in touristic places and big cities, tip paper was especially hard to find but I came across some 2-3 months in hehe. As for longer rolling papers you'll find them where you can get loose tabocco and vice versa. If you just staying for a holiday simply bring it with you.

Police

I never had trouble with them and basically everywhere except Goa, they're conception about white people is that you won't dare to do illigal stuff. That's how a good friend explained it to me and it really made sense to me. If they catch you, Indian police is highly corrupt and you'll pay some 10-50$. I saw friends of mine bargaining bribes. :bow:

Munchies
First of all street food (don't go without other people eating/hanging out there) is the best I swear. It will cost you 20-50ct a small plate and you just order some plates of what he recommends or what other people eat there and you'll be happy, trust me.
But precaution is needed as your stomach has to adapt to the kind of food first and second to the lower hygenic standards, that's just how it is. Our first month we didn't eat anything of the street to adapt to local food and ever since we just eat there!

Look out for (mostly south indian [street] couisne): biryani, pakoda, fried rice and noodles with egg, sharwama and pani puri.
Masala Dosa, Vada's, Samosa (the more cross and thinner version) and gobi manchurian - my favourites. :woohoo: I get flashbacks just thinking about that tasty stuff.

Another thing is CHIPS SHOPS, you heard it right they're just dedicated to that one thing and you'll find them on every bigger street (don't miss them as they are small store front shops). First of all the chips get mad freshly, it tastet's sooo god and it's way cheaper than the supermarket shit.

Then there is Mango Season, you'll find out as you see them everywhere then for 3-4 months. Watermelons and Pineapples (the ones here in Germany taste like 1/2 the intensity of the flavour).

Another great highness stop by is at your local juice shop, damn they have it all: fresh juice, ice, mik shakes and all that good stuff.

Greets

soil margin

Veteran
Sweet pictures and details. I've always wanted to go to India and smoke some of the finest charas available.

Gedöns

as if I didnt want to go to india badly already...
nice reports! cant wait to get there!
the mangos sound like heaven...

Oh the mangos are heaven! Altough we never figured out how to cut them without getting that sticky fruit juice everywhere. :biggrin: They've benn always with us on our hang outs.

Sweet pictures and details. I've always wanted to go to India and smoke some of the finest charas available.

Charas is really a Mountain thing, you should visit Himachal Pradesh in the season when the plants bloom (weather probaly isn't that good then) then go on a trek and find yourself some bud to hand rub. Dman that's on my list if I get back there.

Greets :tiphat:

soil margin

Veteran
When you say find bud to hand rub do you mean wild plants or are there farmers with fields who will let you rub?

Gedöns

When you say find bud to hand rub do you mean wild plants or are there farmers with fields who will let you rub?

I meant wild plants, but I'm shure in small places like Tosh you can find someone to show you his field. Just ask your guesthouse owner or other locals.

Greets

haze*ekiel420

Hey Amigo. Sehr geil..
I ve eben to himachal twice.. 2200 rps a tola in manali? We paid 600and that was Tourist Price.. Never been to tosh and kasol.. what prices did u Pay there? Cream or Fingers? Or did u manage to Score some Pollen?

Reingehauen....

Gedöns

Hey Amigo. Sehr geil..
I ve eben to himachal twice.. 2200 rps a tola in manali? We paid 600and that was Tourist Price.. Never been to tosh and kasol.. what prices did u Pay there? Cream or Fingers? Or did u manage to Score some Pollen?

Reingehauen....

Seems like we've been riped or prices increased. Have to say though we've been there in March so no fresh flowers around. In Kasol we got gifted some cream like hash and in Tosh we paid 2000 for really nice hand rubbed hash.

Grüße

i have been many many times to kasol. you can buy a patch of weed plants from the villagers for your own rubbing purpose. you can book them in advance, or give them seeds to plant for you and you come back to rub or commission nepali workers to rub for u

charas was my life and soul for many years

600 per tola either a loooooong time ago or bad shit. those farmers up there they know the valu of their hand rubbed efforts and charge royal prices for it and they have the right, it take all day to rub one tola

I tried bhang lassi in Banaras. That was back when I was "sober" so it felt like I was tripping on acid--I had to clockout early I was so gone. So I asked my guru-ji at my next lesson if he ever partook & he acted like he didn't know what I was saying. Lmao. My guru-ji & guru-ma were good parents.