What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Guide to Fishsticks

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I bought a Surly Krampus and am loving the 3in tires. It will roll over just about anything…it’s my foray into 29+ and I’m not sure I’ll ever go back

All I have around me is technical single track but would love to find some gravel

Long time lurker
i miss my old OG swamp gas green krampus,that bike shredded like cheese!

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
as far as i know no one has ever ridden white gap pass clean,meaning stayed on the bike the whole time...even going downhill is no joke,baby head sized rocks everywhere...those kids in the video had vehicles at the camp sites...so a bunch of spoiled,whiny millennials...

see? i told you the riding around here is no joke,i just never take pics in the gnarly spots because i don't want to die
I was wondering where they were getting all those burritos out on the ride.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was wondering where they were getting all those burritos out on the ride.
they stopped in hatch on the way...i think they started there and skipped the first 50 miles of the official route...
me,i would consider the approach to white gap pass to be a good warmup for the climb,those kids stopped at the bottom and ate burritos,took a long break...i might stop long enough to scarf down a granola bar,but probably not until the top...once you get through white gap there's a few more miles of rough double track then a crazy ass chip seal road descent...the last section you can hit 50mph+ if you can stay off the brakes....scary

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Went for a long cycle ride with my boy yesterday - lovely weather - intermittent sun/clouds - average 20 C temps - light breeze/wind

Visited The White Lodge - in Richmond Park - its the Royal Ballet School - but it was closed till next week - so we cycled round the Pen Ponds - then out of Ham Gate - to the river Thames - then over Teddington Lock - thru Bushy Park - and back to Kingston-Upon-Thames - thru the market place - to get home nearby - was 'cream crackered' (knackered) when we got home - so ate some homemade Madras curry and wild/brown rice with Greek Yogurt - then had a 1-2 hour nap - before walking a mile to feed a mates cat -
- a day to remember -
1000002388.jpg

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here's what one of our bigger desert rides are like..
6am meet up,3-4 water bottles,snacks,weed,tool kit,tire kit,pump,misc stuff...10+ miles just to get to the dirt parts,then time to climb...ok,finally to the dirt,more climbing,very loose sandy sections,washed out arroyos,rocks everywhere,little steep gut punch climbs...finally to the high point 2+ hours into the ride,time for some downhill....whoa,that got serious quick! fuck! got steep! shit shit shit! whoa! phew...now a section of smooth flowy double track...hey,that was fun! 1 whole mile of actual fun riding! now down to the arroyo bottom...guess i'll push for half a mile now...frack,that was deep ass sand! now some overgrown double track,overgrown with spiny flesh ripping devil plant...now a long stretch on a reasonable chip seal road,actually get to look around and have a drink,it would be more fun if you weren't with a group of fast riders...now into the canyon that will lead us out...5 miles of mostly pushing through loose sand and gravel,a solid 2 hours of pushing with break...finally back to a road,just 20 miles of pedaling to get home,already toast,still hammered it out....get home,can barely walk...now to have something to eat so i have enough energy to cook again all while guzzling water...and a nap after the first meal...50 odd miles and 7+ hours out...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
here's what one of our bigger desert rides are like..
6am meet up,3-4 water bottles,snacks,weed,tool kit,tire kit,pump,misc stuff...10+ miles just to get to the dirt parts,then time to climb...ok,finally to the dirt,more climbing,very loose sandy sections,washed out arroyos,rocks everywhere,little steep gut punch climbs...finally to the high point 2+ hours into the ride,time for some downhill....whoa,that got serious quick! fuck! got steep! shit shit shit! whoa! phew...now a section of smooth flowy double track...hey,that was fun! 1 whole mile of actual fun riding! now down to the arroyo bottom...guess i'll push for half a mile now...frack,that was deep ass sand! now some overgrown double track,overgrown with spiny flesh ripping devil plant...now a long stretch on a reasonable chip seal road,actually get to look around and have a drink,it would be more fun if you weren't with a group of fast riders...now into the canyon that will lead us out...5 miles of mostly pushing through loose sand and gravel,a solid 2 hours of pushing with break...finally back to a road,just 20 miles of pedaling to get home,already toast,still hammered it out....get home,can barely walk...now to have something to eat so i have enough energy to cook again all while guzzling water...and a nap after the first meal...50 odd miles and 7+ hours out...
I'm feeling knackered - just reading that unc - my cardiologist told me to keep my heart rate under 130 beats per minute when exercising - or I would probably blow another valve - so couldn't do what you do - unless I was determined to meet up with The Grim Reaper - I'm still waiting for this Mitral valve fix/replacement in my ❤️ heart (open heart surgery) - so gotta be responsible - and not overdo it -

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
of course not all the rides are like that,a nice toodle along the ditchbanks to the local trails is milder but still ends up being close to 30 miles...pretty much all the riding that's not just around town it's gonna be at least 30 miles,and everything aside from riding along the river there will be long climbs...

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I bought a Surly Krampus and am loving the 3in tires. It will roll over just about anything…it’s my foray into 29+ and I’m not sure I’ll ever go back

All I have around me is technical single track but would love to find some gravel

Long time lurker
Awesome!

It's 7am and I'm loading up the stumpjumper and dropping the kid at school. Then it's an hour and a half drive to stoney creek metropatk. Going to ride some flow trails for a few hours.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Went for a long cycle ride with my boy yesterday - lovely weather - intermittent sun/clouds - average 20 C temps - light breeze/wind

Visited The White Lodge - in Richmond Park - its the Royal Ballet School - but it was closed till next week - so we cycled round the Pen Ponds - then out of Ham Gate - to the river Thames - then over Teddington Lock - thru Bushy Park - and back to Kingston-Upon-Thames - thru the market place - to get home nearby - was 'cream crackered' (knackered) when we got home - so ate some homemade Madras curry and wild/brown rice with Greek Yogurt - then had a 1-2 hour nap - before walking a mile to feed a mates cat -
- a day to remember - View attachment 18884091
Damn …you look to be in fantastic shape .. :peek: (y)

Latest posts

Latest posts