What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
thanks @GreenAndFast

that is good to know about the months of cure. ok so first cob is down to really dark purple, super hard like a goofed up small flat of hash. cob2 i got the cucumber smell ,when i opened the vac bag, to dry the cob after the sweat cob #3 is resting on the heat mat with a pillow on top!
Its best not to sweat them too much at first its easier to ferment slowly. The GOOD dark hash like cobs take longer to master.
People usually over cook them and loose the terps until they get the hang of cobbing.
It is simple to do once you have the hang of it but its easier to over ferment them than under ferment them.
Best to start slowly on short ferments then increase the time ect when you understand the changes that occur.
If it gets out of hand fully dry them to stop any further degradation.

ost

Its best not to sweat them too much at first its easier to ferment slowly. The GOOD dark hash like cobs take longer to master.
People usually over cook them and loose the terps until they get the hang of cobbing.
It is simple to do once you have the hang of it but its easier to over ferment them than under ferment them.
Best to start slowly on short ferments then increase the time ect when you understand the changes that occur.
i will let things cool and slow down , i get hyper from time to time!

ost

cob #3 got right about 4 hrs @98 degrees , for sweat time.

ost

Sounds good, now if the moisture content id favorable you should get a nice ferment going.It was way wet when we started a few days back,chop hang dry ,72 hrs. take top buds,bag squeze(as soon as i bag ,i use the shop press to tighten things up) tight vac, seal and start the watch on the dry and change. keep and cure/vac.freezer, the rest for oil/smoke.

Last edited:

Goodherb

T.H. Seed

Pulled out some cobs that have been dried and aging in a vacuum bag for 4 days. Just wanted to smell them and take off a small chunk to dry out; to test on 4/20😄

Hard as a rock after several hours in open air. An interesting sweet and nutty smell this time around.

Attachments

• 20230418_190851.jpg
    20230418_190851.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230418_190842.jpg
    20230418_190842.jpg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230418_190755.jpg
    20230418_190755.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62

ost

Pulled out some cobs that have been dried and aging in a vacuum bag for 4 days. Just wanted to smell them and take off a small chunk to dry out; to test on 4/20😄

Hard as a rock after several hours in open air. An interesting sweet and nutty smell this time around.
nutty with earthy smell or no background note?

sneezydog

The eating is better! Crunchy.... oily.. a real snack
ever tried deep frying a heavily seeded bud? In coconut oil a few seconds and then a dip in Brown rice syrup and back into hot oil to crisp. With heavy seeding is the best. Never had enough to fry a cob chip... i like the raw fermented probiotics too much too.
Can tie tighter without seed maybe without breaking them up..

Tangwena

Veteran
Is there any upside to leaving seeds in the material being cobbed vs removing them? I have a plant that hermed and made big fat seeds. I can squeeze the seeds out of the buds and cob the rest, or cob the buds with the seeds inside. There are quite a bit, but the dope is frosty and good.
If your smoking the cobbed bud the seeds fall out easily when you mull it up.
For chewing its something I'm still getting used to but def not a negative in my experience.
I have lots of seeded cobs from my last seed run the high is a little different due to the different oils and resin coverage but still good.