What's new

You know you live in the country if......

Betterhaff

Veteran

Attachments

• Pick One.jpg
    Pick One.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 10

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
a friend just told me this story: now this isn't MY story but am looking for anyone that may validate it. :dunno:

when he was a kid and worked his fathers dairy farm..

There were a couple acres that were the designated area for dug up tree stumps. They were stacked/arranged in such a manor that it created a rat condominium. BIG rats, not 6"-8" but full 12'-14" rats not counting the tail and they were seen every day.

(I used to shoot the same sized rats along the Hudson river (1960ish) in the local dump in a small town north of NYC: if you haven't seen one that big, they are 'impressive'.)

anyway one day his father caught one of those rats, alive, in a trap. He said; watch this.. an proceeded to singe all the hair off that rat, without burning it. Let it go and never saw another rat again..

seems a little out there story but when he lived in the country... I was drunk and crying laughing when he told us that story..

rockymountainJ

When you grew up smoking: kind, pretenda kind, and shwag..... cause shyt changed so many hands by the time it got to us.... never had a name lol

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
You know you live in the country if......

You have to drive into town, to go to the local farmers market...

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Looks a lot like the Coyotes on my block..

Looks a lot like the Coyotes on my block..

No roadrunners around here, just cats and small dogs.

We used to have a coyote den about a 100 yards from me. They removed it a few years ago after too many lost cat signs.

There was an Alpha Male that would challenge my dog near a far corner of my hill. That's the only coyote around that he will back down from.

Grrr.. There are still a lot of missing cat signs around :biggrin:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
you know they have recordings that will call them in...
...if ya just want to seeum!:shooty:

St. Phatty

You have your own Pet Sematary.

I talked with a neighbor about water stuff, but we got onto the subject of animals.

He said he shoots all the cats that come onto his property because they eat baby squirrels, who have no defenses.

I told him about one of my own compost piles. Basically dedicated to dead animals, road kill etc.

Actually I think the neighbor that shoots cats does it because he doesn't like the neighbor who had a cat. That neighbor's landlord's late husband shot the cat-shooting neighbor's dog ... about 15 years ago.

Feud is still going, far as I can tell.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
'yotes got 5 of a litter of 6 kittens off of a buddies porch over a two week span. the last one was found up on the roof of his house where the mama cat had put it for safety. a co-worker here told me his neighbor phoned him wanting to know if he had a scrawny looking german shepherd mix dog. he said no & asked why. she said it had run into her front yard, grabbed her Yorkie & ran into his woods. he told her to forget the dog, it would be coyote shit the next time she saw it...

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The last 2 cats that I dispatched @ my place were done in by my .30-30, of course I had to clean up the messes because of the stink potential & that I owned some curious dogs.

One cat belonged to the neighbor across the road that was constantly tearing up my garbage and leaving chicken bones where my dogs could get to them, I warned them to no avail, it had to go.

Cat number two, feral, pregnant and vicious; sadly discovered its mean streak after leaving it food & water, I couldn't get rid of it (she wouldn't leave) and certainly couldn't risk her tearing up one of my dogs.

I stopped killing those neighborhood cats a few yrs ago even though I still have a garbage eater, I'm still wondering how to feed, water & house any/all of the feral cats that I spot around here each winter. None of them asked to be abandoned or born into this way of life, if I can build enough trust over each winter then I can hopefully cage each of them and bring them in for low cost feral cat spay/neuter clinics.......

as the years go on I respect the sanctity of life in more and various ways, one of the credo's that I've always appreciated and accepted is 'turnabout is fair play' and now that my health is sometimes questionable I see life through a different set of eyes.

Latest posts

Latest posts