What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do we have a lot of preppers in this cannabis community?

hunt4genetics

Veteran
For the last few years, I have been very drawn to and curious about the world of prepping. I live in a part of the world with it's fair share of natural disasters.

I watched doomsday preppers, I found it fascinating.

Bit by bit, and as the world has been changing, I have been gravitating more and more towards the world of prepping.

That being said, I wonder if we have a good amount of overlap with preppers/and the world of cannabis growers?

Peace.

St. Phatty

I think there is a lot of overlap.

But there is so much media hype about "preppers", there is rarely an intelligent article on the subject.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not with the NEW SCHOOL cannabis growers that couldn't do it before prohibition was kind of lifted. They're as doomed as any other pure CONSUMER.

Prepping is a lifestyle!

Smith111

You could call it prepping, or just being smart. Like having insurance, chances are you will never need it but it's there if you need it. When you have a family to worry about, you better believe I have food storage and survival gear.

I prep for typical situations - power & water outages, winter storms, supply disruptions, etc.

It ain't rocket science - plenty of food & water on hand, stoves & fuel for backup heat, a portable generator that I test monthly.

Oh yeah - guns and ammo for when the Zombie hordes are on the loose...

Hydro8

I usally see two types of "preppers"

1- Your standard materialistic consumer who thinks that consumer goods and buying and hording consumer goods will save them in an emergency.
These guys think that in a disaster that they will sit in their armchair eating snacks while the neighbors try to trade virgin daughters for MREs

2- People who make a plan B and possibly a plan C-D-E
These guys have remote properties, dual citizenship, backpacks, shoes, gold, bitcion accts,

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Burt Gummer..."prepping ain't easy"

Burt Gummer..."prepping ain't easy"

lmnfsOd.jpg

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
:yeahthats

I think that was P.W., 20 years ago...

And yes, that's a .50 cal....

You better be one tough MoFo just to lift that thing, much less fire it off your shoulder!

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Little bit. Got a good food and seeds stash. All my water and radiation filters.

Mostly just patiently awaiting society to destroy itself. Looks like it needs the wings (both right and left) ripped off in order to prosper. Doubt nature will drag us much furthur down than we are now. But I bet she does a fine job at cleaning up the mess we created.

O

[omerta]

Every guerilla grower is prepper - domesticated with wildlife and survival.

troutman

Seed Whore
I have a lab glass still and could make distilled water all day long.

With yeast and sugar I can make firewater as well. :)

Clean water is a must.

St. Phatty

From experience I would say - one of the most important thing you can have in your prep stash is Opioid or Opioid mimick painkillers.

Enough to get you through serious pain. At least 8 weeks' worth.

It's obvious that even before any official recognition of collapse, the American medical industry can not be counted on to treat serious pain.

The alternatives to opioid medications are not pretty -
* booze.
* frontier surgery.
* suicide. People do kill themselves because of constant unrelenting pain.

Besides a web search, I think one of the better tools for dealing with supply chain issues of pain medications is - your telephone.

You may already be getting calls from telemarketers selling pills.

When I get a call from them, I ask them - do you have a website ?

The conversation that results helps you gauge whether they are seriously in business, or phishing.

I don't like to think about what I would have done, if I hadn't earlier laid in a supply of Tapentadol 100 mg. It is a 2nd generation opioid mimick, developed by the same company that developed Tramadol.

Since I'm not getting any support from the 3 dentists involved in my teeth right now, re the pain, I'm not sure I would have survived without the Tapentadol, since I've been living with serious tooth pain now since August 9 - 2+ months.

If you aren't prepared for Pain, you're not completely prepared.

Do any ICMag members have nurses in the family ? That's good prep-wise.

I would also say you should have Antibiotics in your prep stash.

7 days, 4 times a day, is a typical dosage for 500 mg antibiotics like Cephalexin or Penicillin.

I think you should have both, because different people's stomachs tolerate different antibiotics.

It is also a FANTASTIC barter item. I have scored major points with neighbors by providing them with antibiotics at the right time.

Green Squall

Funny this topic pops up every now then. I don't consider myself a prepper, although I have plenty of food stored in mylar along with many other misc items.If something serious ever happened, I doubt I would make it. I wish I had a cabin in the North Maine Woods.

Green Squall

From experience I would say - one of the most important thing you can have in your prep stash is Opioid or Opioid mimick painkillers.

Enough to get you through serious pain. At least 8 weeks' worth.

It's obvious that even before any official recognition of collapse, the American medical industry can not be counted on to treat serious pain.

The alternatives to opioid medications are not pretty -
* booze.
* frontier surgery.
* suicide. People do kill themselves because of constant unrelenting pain.

Besides a web search, I think one of the better tools for dealing with supply chain issues of pain medications is - your telephone.

You may already be getting calls from telemarketers selling pills.

When I get a call from them, I ask them - do you have a website ?

The conversation that results helps you gauge whether they are seriously in business, or phishing.

I don't like to think about what I would have done, if I hadn't earlier laid in a supply of Tapentadol 100 mg. It is a 2nd generation opioid mimick, developed by the same company that developed Tramadol.

Since I'm not getting any support from the 3 dentists involved in my teeth right now, re the pain, I'm not sure I would have survived without the Tapentadol, since I've been living with serious tooth pain now since August 9 - 2+ months.

If you aren't prepared for Pain, you're not completely prepared.

Do any ICMag members have nurses in the family ? That's good prep-wise.

I would also say you should have Antibiotics in your prep stash.

7 days, 4 times a day, is a typical dosage for 500 mg antibiotics like Cephalexin or Penicillin.

I think you should have both, because different people's stomachs tolerate different antibiotics.

It is also a FANTASTIC barter item. I have scored major points with neighbors by providing them with antibiotics at the right time.
/

I've read on a prepper forum that many get their antibiotics at pet stores, as fish use the same kind as humans. Others say certain Bodegas sell them over the counter for undocumented immigrants with no medical insurance. I'm sure you would have to know someone though,.

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^^ To be honest, if everything went to Hell with no help from anyone. I bet most people would be dead in
less than 3 months. University city slickers who have never gone into a forest would probably be the 1st to go.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
^^^^ To be honest, if everything went to Hell with no help from anyone. I bet most people would be dead in
less than 3 months. University city slickers who have never gone into a forest would probably be the 1st to go.

No shortage of well armed city slickers here. I think the more prepared you are the more of a target you become. Hard to say what exactly will happen and who would survive. Personally I think first thing the government/law enforcement would stop all traffic in and out of low income areas and anyone inside would have a hell of a time surviving. As for the rest of the population who knows. Lots of crazys live in the country too.