What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finishing times, Photoperiod, Latitude, and how it all works!!

M

mossy

:D
The fast finisher are..
JLP's Mississippi Mud..
and a White Widow Blue Mystic cross.

On the ww/bm cross..I got 2 FF girls..
and 2 season long girls.

On Jlp's Mud..I got 1 FF..and another.

All seeds were grown at the same time in the same conditions.
I have 2 season long girls as well..so I have a test.

In good conditions AF's show sex between 21-25 days.
The FF show up about 28-30 days.

Af's go straight from sex..to starting fat buds..
Season long girls..show sex..then grow with still thin bud..then start fattening bud.
The FF's went straight to fat budding..the same as the AF's.

Photo dependency.. :chin:
I harvested the AF's & the FF's around May..
FF's came in around 2 weeks behind my AF's.
increasing natural light pattern...so they don't look photo dependent.

I DID worry that because I was on about a 14-16 hour natural light pattern..
that I had forced the FF's into flower....(12/12)..
but discounted it..as it would have also forced the season long girls too..
and it didn't.

JLP's Mud..FF

WW/BM..FF

AF's..

Natural increasing light pattern..ALL photos taken 29th April..Outdoor..

Last edited:

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im from Denmark where we have long vegetative and a short flowering period.
This summer we had lots of rain but with good, early and mold resistant genes, a lotta care and good nutrients we still manage to grow some good cannabis here, although most of the exotic sativas can only be grown indoor or in versions that has been climatized here for many years.
Im on 56N
heres the day length for 55N all months of the year.
http://www.orchidculture.com/COD/daylength.html#55N

G

Grasso

Hello,

I have grown hemp plants from pound packs of bird and fish feed. These F2 plants have few resin and are mostly hermaphrodite.

Germinated on the window-sill of an unused, cool room in February plants sexed two months later and did neither look nor smell too shabby. The raising daylength had its share in stopping sex and delaying seed maturation. In June when seeds were ripe and plants transplanted to the outdoors they re-vegetated. In August they sexed again but looked ugly and moulded away soon after although the weather was nice. Thesis: "Grey-mould does not depend on rain and humidity but on plant sickness. Healthiness is mostly determined by the phases of genetic expression and by the state of roots."

Plants started in May outdoors were ready for seed harvest on September 1st. (But hermaphrodites grew grapes of pollen sacks that dense that the inner sacks could not open. These grapes clung to the plants still at harvest date. The F1 seed parents may have been hybrids which did not show this excessively stupid behaviour.)

Therefore this strain called Macks Futter starts to flower if:
A) it is at least a month old and the days are short
b) Or when it is at least a meter high and the solstice with 16 hours of sunlight has passed.

Cannabis Sativa Sativa, the european fiber and seed hemp, is sown in May and harvested in September.

F3 plants started in June were all males and done in October.

Another strain called Wehrens Futter is in heavy flowering right now and should be ready before October. The males showed much earlier than the hermies and I do not even know if there are any true females. Hermies look better than the ones of Macks but are slim, say low-yielding.

Ruderalis Indica did not show much daylength-independant flowering. Only one plant started to flower after transplant but fell back into vegetation soon after. Right now they are two meters high and still bald. I read that even Lowryder does not flower reliably in german summertime. Some finnish growers have got the knack of auto-flowering; certain environmental conditions as for instance the type of soil probably help. Although humus of needle tres may look similar to the one of leaf trees the chemistry is different. It is hard to convince Cannabis to flower on long days and certainly a recessive thing. Auto-flowering depends on warmth (May and later), growth (good lighting and watering) and youth. The youth factor can be great but varies greatly due to yet unknown reasons, too.

Luise of bagseed had a lucky lifetime from March to October and was already resinous in August although the summer had been miserable. Shiva Shanti which was germinated in end of June and grown in the ground sexed in August and matured in late October. Flowering a cutting of a big outdoor plant alongside a small seed-plant indoors it becomes clear that the seed-plant lags behind. All else being equal, the sowing date has a slight positive effect on possible harvest dates.

Uli

Last edited:

ampersand

great info!

somewhere around here a guy took a picture on his trip to pakistan(or someplace) and it had a sativa flowering before the indica planted next to it. so i think the whole when to flower thing can be highly genetic and with enough breeding most anything is possible.

G

amount of light or shortening days?

amount of light or shortening days?

Hi all, nice thread. I'm in the 45.5 and seen something special this year with a local strain. M39, a quick to finish (45 days) photosensitive strain. Planted very very late around mid-July. Wee-little clones 6" appart in a patch. A sea of green outside. We'll see how they do and I'll let you all know. Usualy here this strain is planted in 6" pots and put in flower 1 week max after transplanting from clones. This gives off great yield per square meter. The theory is that moving them from indoor 24h light to outdoor 15h light will trigger immediate flower and cause the plant to go on overdrive like they do indoors. This kind of contradicts what has been mentioned above but with the combination of cold nights and shortening days I think it will work. Anybody out there tried anything of the sort? Anyone know how much of an effect the cold has on triggering flowering. What about the effect of shortening days, would that not make more of a difference than the actual amount of lignt per day?

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Mr. Growitall said:
Hi all, nice thread. I'm in the 45.5 and am trying something special this year with a local strain. M39, a quick to finish (45 days) photosensitive strain. I planted very very late around mid-July. Wee-little clones 6" appart in a patch. A sea of green outside. We'll see how they do and I'll let you all know. Usualy here this strain is planted in 6" pots and put in flower 1 week max after transplanting from clones. This gives off great yield per square meter. My theory is that moving them from indoor 24h light to outdoor 15h light will trigger immediate flower and cause the plant to go on overdrive like they do indoors. This kind of contradicts what has been mentioned above ........
Hi there! Are you saying these plants are inside or outside right now? It sounds like you are saying they went out already, if so....when?

As I recall, M39 has also been available commercially for some time from the same breeders that supplied Mighty mite, but it seems to have disappeared again on the market. Perhaps you live in the part of Canada that this strain originated in?

I can't see how your experiment would contradict anything said in this thread.....

phrank

off topic..?

off topic..?

I posted this elsewhere, and it got zero response, but it seems germane to the topic at hand. Let me know what you think!

I believe the following was found in one of the Mel Frank books. The author suggested starting out indoors with 15 hours of light per day, and reducing said light a half hour per week (i.e. 15 hours 1st week, 14 1/2 hours 2nd week, 14 hours 3rd week, etc.). The author claimed that the first plants to indicate sex under this regimen, would be the first to finish outdoors. The idea being, of course, to find the fastest finishing plants so that they might serve as mothers. Our initial tests seemed to prove this method, but admittedly, our methods were not all that scientific. Has anybody else employed this strategy? Any thoughts on improving it? It may not sound like much, but in the cold and wet conditions of 43 North, every little bit helps. It may also offer a way to take advantage of the greater number of mating cycles per year indoors, to breed better outdoor strains.

phrank

PS BACKCOUNTRY, feel free to delete post if you feel it's to far afield!

G

Hi Backcountry,

they are outside right now, planted as just rooted clones in mid-july, so they went from 24h light to about 15h light of natural sun with rapidly shortening days.

The hope that the switch from 24h light to 15h light along with shortening days will induce immediate flowering. Thus resulting in about the same flowering time as indoors; I am hopping for 2 weeks overdrive vegging (due to the plant realising it has no time to grow), then 45 days flowering. This is exactly what happens indoors with this strain. The only difference here is temperature, and 15h light shortening days rather than solid 12h. This experiment contradicts the above in the sense that is expected the same flowering times as would be indoors. The key here is planting extra late to take advantage of the rapidly shortening days we have here. I asume this would not work at lower latitudes.

And yes, near here is the home of M39, it is all that you can find on the market. Fast, resistant, rock hard nuggets, easy trim, smooth high. Out here the rock hard nuggets it produces has become a sort of industry standard than actrualy inhibits the introduction of other strains.

Last edited:

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
im at just about 45N on the money and so far today only 2 out of 7 plants are showing flowers...wtf is going on?!?!

i am beginning to be more interested in the autoflowerings so any ideas/links/results etc. would help!

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Hey everyone i have a question sort of pertaining to the topic. When is the shut off day that plants wont trigger into flower? Like if i put some plants in my greenhouse like a month from now i know the flowers will trigger but will it stay triggered throughout the winter until they are done? Cold would definately not be an issue where I am from.

G

Correction, just spoke to the concerned, and actualy they where planted on the 1st of August. So that is about 14h 45min daylight. If all goes according to plan, they should be ready by October 1st which is 11h 45min daylight.

Last edited:
G

Sheriff Bart, when did you plant? What strain are you using? For a mostly indica strains at that latitude, if you plant before solstice then your ladies will flower much later than if you plant after solstice. Planted a few a week after solstice will already have buds the size of dimes. Planting around June 1st will usually be ready after the first few frosts. Just be patient and hope for good weather. If your strain is mostly sativa then good luck or they may never be ready on time...unless you move them to a green house or keep them indoors over night when it starts getting cold.

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Mr. Growitall said:
....they are outside right now, planted just rooted clones in mid-july, so they went from 24h light to about 15h light of natural sun with rapidly shortening days.

I have hope that the switch from 24h light to 15h light along with shortening days will induce immediate flowering. Thus resulting in about the same flowering time as we get indoors; I am hopping for 2 weeks overdrive vegging (due to the plant realising it has no time to grow), then 45 days flowering.....

.....Correction, I just checked my calendar and actualy I planted on the 1st of August. So that is about 14h 45min daylight. If all goes according to plan, they should be ready by October 1st which is 11h 45min daylight.
Well, its been nearly 4 weeks, let alone 2, have you seen any blooming?

Mr. Growitall said:
....For a mostly indica strains at that latitude, if you plant before solstice then your ladies will flower much later than if you plant after solstice........
This is a interesting theory, I'm not much further south of you guys, and my plants put out in late April are blooming faster than the ones placed out closer to June.....I've always found slightly more mature plants to be slighty earlier.

chubbynugs- Generally almost any Cannabis strain will bloom hard from mid-October to early/mid-April in the northern hemisphere, and most will be blooming now or soon.

phrank-I agree with Mel on that most definatly! I have a plant that showed sex early like that, and I will use her as the seed mother to the next generation of her race because of her earliness.

Your post is just fine here, but I can't delete others posts anyways, I am not a Mod.

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
well i dont reacall from last year but a plant generally doesnt flower in a month, eh? last year i think we had snow in oct, right off the bat. I recall i lost my whole nice tobacco patch due to it...

i dont know the strains or anything. they were started in april, and outside since they popped. you can look at my gallery to see the pics.

G

Backcountry, actualy I messed up the original date, they have been in the ground exactly 26 days, there should be signs of flowering, I will find out soon.

I have found that planting early does mean a sooner harvest but plants that are planted after solstice always finish earlier. 3 inch clones planted on solstice grow 2 feet tall. They are ready for harvest in mid-september = earlyer than anything planted before solstice.

Also, in post solstice planting, the moon cycle has an effect on the trigger of flowering. To trigger immediate flowering it is best to plant after solstice right after a full moon. This way, once the plant recovers from being planted it will have the benefit of dark nights to trigger the flowering. So on the next full moon it will already be triggered and not be fooled by the extra light. A plant that has just been triggered into flowering could possibly revert to veg on a full moon.

Sheriff Bart, harvest is usualy done in the beginning to mid november when planted that early. Best stick to strains with good frost resistance if you like to grow monsters.

Last edited:

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
damn growtail, how can you do it that late at that lat.?!?! yea i need to get some good strains...but i am cheap, what can i say...last year my bagseeds pulled it off just fine...

Latest posts

Latest posts