What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calling all 4x8 tent growers, need advise

browntrout

Veteran
Looking for some help, just bought a cheap 4x8 tent and a cheap dimmable Vivosun 1000W MH/HPS light. A bit new to small scale ten grows.

It's more for testing different hybrids and breeding. Not going for massive yields just healthy 2-3' plants in quantity

How many plants do you guys run effectively under 1000W in soil?

Pictures of your setups would help.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Or 3x600W.
Or 6x 315W cmh ;)

koon - this is what i don't understand - i was told (maybe wrongly) that a 315w cmh is outputting close to a 600w mh/hps - if thats the case, '3' 315's should be enough to equal '3' 600watters...

i'm only on my 2nd cmh grow with '2' 315's in a 4x3.5' tent , n i don't think its enough lite n i'm going to add a led light on both sides...

Koondense

Veteran
Zach
I think the 315cmh and 600hps are in a different league, no matter what people say.
A fixture with 630cmh and a 1000hps are way closer in output and I think they can have a similar par light output except the cmh has a broader(better) spectrum and likely make better buds and resin.
So yes, you're probably right to add more light since the 315cmh fits best a 3x3 space(actually 80x80cm is perfect), the sides probably don't have enough intensity.
315 cmh is a bit better than a 400hps, not 600hps as many people say.

Ok, maybe for the OP's case with a 4x8 tent, two 630W CMH fixtures would be the best option. I'd go with this setup(or leds of course).

Cheers

browntrout

Veteran
Maybe I'll get a couple smaller full spectrum LEDs for the sides. CMH was my first option until I realized the current retail rate.

koon - this is what i don't understand - i was told (maybe wrongly) that a 315w cmh is outputting close to a 600w mh/hps - if thats the case, '3' 315's should be enough to equal '3' 600watters...

i'm only on my 2nd cmh grow with '2' 315's in a 4x3.5' tent , n i don't think its enough lite n i'm going to add a led light on both sides...

lol what? How does that even pass common sense?

315 W = 600 w???? :laughing:

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I have a 4x8 and run two 600w cool tubes. I think two 1000w will be to much heat and frankly over kill for the size. Been running this set up for 10 years now. I can get from 6 to 8 plants in flower depending on the strain.

Defacto

I have a 4x8 and run two 600w cool tubes. I think two 1000w will be to much heat

I verify that Putmbk does have the awesome grow that he claims!
:)

fwiw, I struggle to keep it under 80 F degrees with 2 1000 watt bulbs in a 9' x 12' room.

browntrout

Veteran
I verify that Putmbk does have the awesome grow that he claims!
:)

fwiw, I struggle to keep it under 80 F degrees with 2 1000 watt bulbs in a 9' x 12' room.

I've got another 3 months of -C temps in separate building. (I live in the frozen wasteland of hoth FYI) I can keep building temps at 8C if I wanted, I am actually thinking with the air cooled ballast 6" fan setup etc. that I may loose to much heat and will need to regulate fan speed on intake / exhaust. that way the heaters external to tent can be turned down/off.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I've got another 3 months of -C temps in separate building. (I live in the frozen wasteland of hoth FYI) I can keep building temps at 8C if I wanted, I am actually thinking with the air cooled ballast 6" fan setup etc. that I may loose to much heat and will need to regulate fan speed on intake / exhaust. that way the heaters external to tent can be turned down/off.
I use timers and router (speed) controls on all fans...works great. I also recirculate the light fan and vent it back into the room in the middle of winter to help get the heat up. I run flower at 74f and keep the humidity between 50 and 60% using this method.