What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Clash

bChiefing

Love the clash! funny story, while traveling thru france a few years back with family, we had stopped in a really cool british pub where we met the coolest bartender who learned english from watching tv! haha aside from that a random african bloak walks in and sits near us at the bar(knew the bartender) and whips out this book which my sister notices and asks me Who's the Clash? after i quickly whisper its a good band the fellow chimes in and say "a Fucking GOOD Band!" with the best british accent I'd heard all day! haha good times. good vibes. keep it up. :rasta:
big-pink-clash-book.jpeg

bChiefing

Love the clash! funny story, while traveling thru france a few years back with family, we had stopped in a really cool british pub where we met the coolest bartender who learned english from watching tv! haha aside from that a random african bloak walks in and sits near us at the bar(knew the bartender) and whips out this book
big-pink-clash-book.jpeg

which my sister notices and asks me Who's the Clash? after i quickly whisper its a good band the fellow chimes in and say "a Fucking GOOD Band!" with the best british accent I'd heard all day! haha good times. good vibes. keep it up. :rasta:

Last edited:

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
I´ve got 3, my wifes orig. vinyl, my orig. vinyl and the remastered version on cd. :biggrin: And i´ve got the original maxi single
London Calling/Armagideon Time. I still can remember, to try to hear the differences between Armagideon Time/Kick It Over and Justice Tonight.

The-Clash-London-Calling-91115.jpg

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Years ago I blagged backstage camping at Glastonbury, more secure, less cramped, better bogs...

Turned out I was camped slap bang next to Joe Strummer... Now, as a Punk, I fucking loved the first album, The Clash, but everything else they later did was rubbish compared to that, I am not fazed by celebrity, so largely ignored him and his campfire of brown nosers. [Ian Brown was there and made a spectacular cnut of himself there btw] They were smoking brickweed that had been liquidised, to get rid of the visible seeds, they were broken into little bits and had ruined the lot. Not overly impressed, I stunk them out with some Jack Herer :)

So, late at night, returning to my tent in the dark, I realised someone just arrived and, despite this being backstage, had parked their tent half on top of mine... Naturally outraged, and, it must be said, off my fucking face, I decided the only possible course of action was to bomb the fuck out of this bastard, so got a massive Spanish banger, waaay bigger than anything legal in the UK, more like a stick of dynamite... lit it and lobbed it at the offender's recently adjusted tent. Being utterly fucked, it went a bit wrong and ended up blowing up Strummer's tent instead...

Sorry Joe, we lost the poor sod soon after, but there is a permanent shrine to him just at the entrance to the Lost Vagueness fields.

RudeDog

Veteran
I'm too slightly too young for The Clash when they were doing it but spent many a Sunday afternoon getting loaded to them. Big Audio Dynamite as well.

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
I'm too slightly too young for The Clash when they were doing it but spent many a Sunday afternoon getting loaded to them. Big Audio Dynamite as well.

I was a little bit to young for going to concerts here in germanys province. If i had lived in Hamburg i think i had saw them on a concert. I saw Strummer in 99 in Hamburg, i was a little bit disapointed, no merchandise and only 150 people but it was a wonderfull concert. Before the concert started, we were standing there at the bar. I think oh this guy who is he, another guy came in, hm i think i know him and then it was clear, it was the Toten Hosen (german punkband, well known) and as Joe and the Mescaleros played the Hosen and the audience arm in arm, tears in our eyes, we were singing/shouting all together. Old punkrockcomrades. :)

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
Her next album was an interesting effort. Spirit Of St Louis was produced by Mick Jones of The Clash – although he was credited as “My Boyfriend”. It was a fascinating album with most of the songs written by Jones and Joe Strummer and another Clash alumni Tymon Dogg. Recorded in London the mood of the record was broadly European, with a chamber music approach to some quirky pop songs. It still stands up well today but at the time the style of the album didn’t do much for American radio and the public and its sales were mediocre.
Around this time Foley could also be heard singing on the Clash’s Hitsville UK from their extraordinary triple album Sandinista.
Ironically the most commercially successful element of her collaboration with Jones was the song Should I Stay Or Should I Go which he wrote about their relationship and which became a hit on the Clash’s Combat Rock album.

ellenfoley_mick-jones.jpg

Growcephus

Veteran
The Clash is one of those bands that can be both raw, and refined, with equal success. Not many bands can pull that off, and fewer can pull it off as well as The Clash.

From their earlier "Ramones inspired" work, all the way to Combat Rock, they proved to be a truly multifaceted and competent band adept at playing in a variety of genres while still maintaining their identity as The Clash.

One of my favorite tunes off of Sandinsta:

Corner soul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H8nr8J-WF4

From the raw, simple power of tunes like "Know your rights", to the more refined and heartfelt tunes like "The Street Parade", the boys always manage to provide a great tune to accommodate any mood I may be in, at any given moment.

Awesome band, and I still listen to them to this very day.

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trailer for the rise and fall of the Clash

The Rise and Fall of the Clash features previously unseen footage of the band at work and at play, interviews with the individual band members and with those who knew them well, and traces the downward trajectory of a band who were at one point "the biggest band in the world." This is not a film that pulls any punches, but neither does it overlook the life-changing effect that The Clash brought to so many. Over 90 minutes it paints the fascinating inside story of rival, treachery and betrayal, and the internal band dynamics and managerial interference that ultimately led The Clash to self-destruct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ms8aRQhIUuQ

Growcephus

Veteran
Trailer for the rise and fall of the Clash

The Rise and Fall of the Clash features previously unseen footage of the band at work and at play, interviews with the individual band members and with those who knew them well, and traces the downward trajectory of a band who were at one point "the biggest band in the world." This is not a film that pulls any punches, but neither does it overlook the life-changing effect that The Clash brought to so many. Over 90 minutes it paints the fascinating inside story of rival, treachery and betrayal, and the internal band dynamics and managerial interference that ultimately led The Clash to self-destruct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ms8aRQhIUuQ

Good find.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts