What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how cold is too cold?

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I put a plastic tarp over her. but how cold is too cold?
the weather guy said its get a lil chilly to night maybe to morrow.
then back to sunnydays next week.

and my plant is comming down oct 25.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
the coldest a plant can stand is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 Fahrenheit...for no more than 3 days extended after that i would say it will get frost damgage and for sure go purple on you...
You must watch the night temperatures..that;s the most important...
ps i have heard of plants surviving longer but the smoke is harsh
good luck
peace
Chefboy

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
i dont think the problem is how cold it gets, its how long it stays cold.
if its sunny next week you should be fine.

Ripshot

the forcast was calling for nightitme temps of -1 to -3 at night here so I cut all mine down. the were only 5-6 weeks into flower.

antimatter

Veteran
its been way to cold for quite a few days now for me, and its gonna get even colder and colder and then lots and lots of snow.. :(

Henrik

Its been frost on more then one night here, and my plants lives on. chopping in a week or two i think. Its a cross with mazar i sharif and diesel ryder, and i checked the weather in mazar i sharif and its normal with below freezing temps in november. And over there they harvest in desember-january;)

Koi

The same for me Henrik.
I still have one Thyphoon female in a bucket near the water line.
We have had some frost some nights. But now there has two nights of frost in a row, this night it was -2.2*C. It was still healthy today (just getting more and more purple)

As insulation for the plant I carried some rocks to make a radiator for the bucket.
I hope it will work, this tiny plant will be dead withing the next two weeks.

grapeman

Veteran
Yeah - I can clearly see from this thread that global warming is killing us all.
Ha.
On a more serious note, plants can stand temps down to 32 (0 cel) but unless you want to stay up all night watching temps, you should either cover, run water (water will evaporate and release heat, which will help several degrees, not more) or heat your plants in some fashion.

I think of equal importance to night time temps, is day time temps. If it is colder then normal and under 50 f, you won't get much if any further growth as growth will slow to a crawl if not slower.

grapeman -
you said to run water to warm it up. you mean like get some lukewarm water and water the area around the plant? it just rained alot in my neck of the woods, so i dont want to overwater.

Henrik

Checked my plants today, out of 26 only one has got just a little bit of mold. And it has rained A LOT the last few days. BTW northern latitude 58-59.

grapeman

Veteran
grapeman -
you said to run water to warm it up. you mean like get some lukewarm water and water the area around the plant? it just rained alot in my neck of the woods, so i dont want to overwater.

Any water. As a citrus and grape farmer, if it predicted to be freezing at night we run water. Even though the water is cold and it is night time, the evaporation releases heat and will protect you for several more degrees as long as the freezing temps don't last for more then a few hours. Protection is alway closer to the ground, and also depends on your dew point. The lower the dew point the more danger there is of the freeze causing damage. You can always cover them also (plastic or tarp) as that traps a little heat under the cover. In tandem, using both processes, you should be able to withstand a few degrees under freezing for several hours. BTW, when I say run water, I mean run a hose under your plant so water is standing during the coldest hours.

If it is going to be even colder, then you must cover and heat somehow.

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you'll be fine. i put thick clear plastic garbage bags over my last three remaining plants because the overnight lows are going to be around freezing. in 4 days the temps will be back in upper 30's at night and i'll take the tarps off until temps get near freezing again. then it's chop goes the weasel. i'm trying to get as much as i can out of these last babes.

yeah dude thats what it looks for my arjans haze 1. i dont think she will make it to her peak ripness but im trying to finish up a hawaiian snow and shes been through snow and all(well i covered her for that. and she still lives. hopefully this next week of sun will be better

Latest posts

Latest posts