What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Building Some TLO Soil

R

!RA!

So after having some great results with TLO (True Living Organic) soil I bought online, I thought I'd give building my own soil a try. Not going to go into the whole list of amendments, but suffice to say it's pretty long! Took a while to procure all the ingredients, but I finally put it all together yesterday. Planning to cook for about 30 days, then transplant some of my vegging girls (Ghost Train Haze #1 and Star Killer) and see how they do. Soil pH sitting at just under 5 currently, which is normal when you first mix it, according to the Rev. Hoping for mid-high 6 range when it's done.

Now I know there are a lot of soil experts on this site with varying opinions, and that's one of the things I really like here. But please understand, this is the side I picked and I'm sticking to it. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Will update as things progress. Here's day one of cooking. :woohoo:

picture.php

Scrappy4

Veteran
My only comment would be to use the best compost you can source, for the best results in any mix.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You don't wanna talk about the soil amendments in a tlo soil building thread....dang

:yeahthat
i'll follow along.... but if u ever feel like posting just a list of what u got in there (nevermind the ratios/quantities)...
:dance013:

Golden Tree

Good luck buddy....

Life changing switch....

I've NEVER looked back....

Viva la TLO!

Great vibes to you good dude!

GT...(a fellow TLO soldier)

R

!RA!

Out of respect for the Rev I don't want to post up his recipe. Not sure that would be kosher. I did hear that the 2nd edition of his book is being released pretty soon, so if you want the recipe it can be had for the price of a paperback. Well worth it IMHO. Not trying to sell anything here, just documenting my own work.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it is an actual living soil, amendments have little to do with it until after the soil comes to life. Certainly the soil structure (porosity and OM content) is important.

If it is a water only see you through to harvest maybe mix...then that is what it is.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
fwiw i've been able to go up to five cycles without adding amendments.

sure they suffered, but i determined that it takes very little once they start producing sugars.
not optimum, but not dead-band either.

just TBS per cubic foot works a treat when i do get around to it.

neem meal
fish bone meal
alfalfa meal
kelp meal
ewc
humic/fulvic acid

that's the list of amendments i add. no sense of ratios. i don't keep track.

wait...i do use molasses sparingly at harvest to keep the beasties alive, with maybe a little fish hydrosolate depending on how long before i use that medium again.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i notice your list is all well balanced additions trichrider {well humic fulvic is what it is} you do mean 1 TBS total right? {& likely '~1 TBS'}

Ratzilla

Veteran
I have been a student of the Rev's for years.
It's nothing for my mix's Ph. to dive low into the 4-5 when first mix up.
I give it a few weeks and check the Ph. again if it has not started to rise I'll throw some more powdered oyster shell in and give it another week or so.
I like my mix to stabilize around 6.2-6.4.
After that I'll wont check the mix's ph. again.
I recycle and get around 5 cycles out of my mix before seeing any deficiencies.
I do add a few things back after every cycle.
Mostly a light dose of a all purpose complete fertilizer.
Then I get a soil test done and bring everything back in accordance to my soil minerals handbook and begin again.
I am a big fan of tea's that bring life and top dressings.
Growing the kind!
I have learned much from the Rev!
I have never seen the Rev to not want to SHARE his methods.
Ratz :tiphat:

Golden Tree

Build a soil.com

And Modern Microbes....

For very TLO friendly amendments.....

Two outstanding TLO friendly companies....great products.... GREAT people...

REV is quite a special soul...;)

Good luck brother...

RATZ nailed IT....spread that TLO love!

Respects...good vibes...

GT

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now I know there are a lot of soil experts on this site with varying opinions, and that's one of the things I really like here. But please understand, this is the side I picked and I'm sticking to it. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Well said.

Though I am more of an open source type. Someone, somewhere always puts what ever they got online.

Either way, I'll tag along for the show.

R

!RA!

Just a small update. pH still very low, but temperature starting to climb. Haven't measured, but I can tell just by feel that the cooking has begun. :biggrin:

picture.php

R

!RA!

Vermicomposting

Vermicomposting

Considering getting a worm bin to make my own (well, not MY own, the worms') castings. Any suggestions on which ones are good?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent source of info there, thanks KIS.

FYI - I noticed under feeding they said no banana peels due to pesticides. I don't know if the concern is residual or harm to the worms but we fed our worms banana peels for years. There were no apparent issues and they were one of the favorite foods.

Also they said Manures (cow, horse (not if the horses are de-wormed), - There is virtually no such thing as horses that are not dewormed - All responsible horse owners deworm their horses at least twice a year - However the good news is that the common medications used dissipate in around one month. I had 30 horses and fed the manure to our worms - I have never seen better vermicompost than we produced. KIS can confirm the quality.

This of course does not mean there is anything wrong with their product.

R

!RA!

All organic fruits and veggies here, so not too concerned about pesticides. If anything vermicomposting might make me eat more good stuff.