What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Worm Leachate

1Maconheiro

so I just invested in a 3 tier worm bin to compost my organic trash, I understand worm casting are really good for your plants, I plan to add that to my soil mix and also use the wormcastings for my ACT.

My question is what about the liquid that is left over from the worm bin that collects at the bottom tray. I believe they call it Worm Bin Leachate. Is that stuff good for Cannabis? I've read mixed reviews about it online, some saying it's great for plants and other saying it toxic... Anyone use Worm bin leachate on any of there grows?

This is just my opinion. I would only use leachate as soon as it came out.

But really, if you have that much liquid coming from your bins, it's not the ideal environment for your worms to begin with. I understand that this is less of a problem w/ fancy storebought worm bins. At the end of the day I would rather just make a tea from the actual EWC.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to have a problem with worms getting into the liquid and drowning. This then made the whole thing a bit stinky. I solved this with some cardboard under the bedding layer and it works much better.

But yeah fresh is best as Rancho pointed out.

oldbootz

Veteran
The leachate is not used by most worm farmers. Its the cured castings that are the main prize. The liquid is very high in ammonia which is only one half of the nitrogen cycle. There are better ways to give nitrogen to your plants but i would use it on my veggies 1 - 10 with water like said above.

J

jerry111165

If you even have leachate then your bedding/worm food is way, way too wet.

Worm leachate is just an anaerobic mess. Throw it on your compost heap.

J