What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I have a soil question.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Look for Black Kow if they carry it. I used to get it at HD. It is great stuff done right. You'll need to ammend to lighten it up some and cut the NPK down but you can't go wrong with it. They used to make Black Hen back in the day, don't know if they still do or not but it was powerful stuff. Real pleasure to use.

http://blackkow.com/_html/howitsmade.htm

Hank Hemp

Veteran
If you want to go KISS- 50% pro-mix, 25% per perlite, 25% EWC. Fert as you please. You need to study a sticky at the top of this thread. Lots of reading help there. No bad advice.

Last edited:

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
my local garden store doesn't sell promix. is this brand any good.
Sta-Green 64-Quart Potting Soil they might have more brands in the walk in store than on line store.

I used Stagreen many years ago along with Botanicare nutes,very good results.If I remember right it has some fert pellets in it.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
pro mix is mostly spag. peat moss, perlite, dol. lime and a few other goodies. Search it and good with something similar. How do you intend to grow that's the main question. No one can tell you that make up your own mind. You will have to do a lot of studying before you pop that first seed. There's people here who do fine with miracle grow products. Only down side is taste. I grow just for myself, so I want it all. You know yield, taste, etc.

study this- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112662
and https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=228020
this too https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=115377

I've went to all this trouble to help I hope you help yourself because 99.9% of your questions are answered there. Read, study, read study, understand.
like it or not growing in science, botany and you need to learn it,teach yourself and when you know it gets fun until something goes wrong and it always will. good luck and learning!!!

Last edited:
S

SeaMaiden

I thought Pro-Mix was a fairly equal mix of sphagnum and coir +. It's the mix that is favored by farmers who use soil-blocking techniques. My local Lowe's sells the 2'cu (that's what I think they are) for $30.

I don't care for Miracle Grow because I get splinters handling it, the Sta-Green is slightly better for that.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
What kind of mg soil you talking about?
Went out and took a pic here's the mix Canadian sphagnum peat moss 85%, Perlite, mycorise pro, vermiculite, dolomitic and calc. lime, wetting agent.
that's the BX type.
I don't believe my Lowes carries it. but they have organic mg soil. With a few add ins and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
S

SeaMaiden

Whatever they were selling at Lowe's that I haven't bought for years because of the splinters. I don't get the special soils... err.. didn't. It's been years, I've been buying topsoil in bulk for a while now.

They

My last mix came from Lowes and Napa

1 bale of majestic earth peat moss $10
2 40 lb bags of black velvet mushroom compost $8
7 lbs of Epsoma garden Lime $8
8 lbs of Epsoma Plant-tone $12

and 1 40 lb bag of Superior oil absorber from Napa $6.50 (calcined fullers earth)

$44.50 for ~ 7 cubic feet of fully amended soil just add plants and water.

bad gas

Thanks, Hank.

Your post should be a sticky. Everything you need to know all in one place. I went back and read them again.

Have a nice day. bg

Hank Hemp

Veteran
been growing 25+ years

been growing 25+ years

Thanks, Hank.

Your post should be a sticky. Everything you need to know all in one place. I went back and read them again.

Have a nice day. bg

and I still refer back to them just to jar my brain now and again. LOL

I hope #1cheese listens. Sometimes nubes will latch on to some bad advice and go with it.

Here of late I've been dogging around the more social threads and not helping others, shame on me.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
noobi grower??? I have been growing indoors and outdoors for the last 14 years. both in soil, hydro and coco. so Im not a noobi or even close to one. I just grow indoors on a small scale. and last year i got 2 LBs from my outdoor garden thank you...

now back to my new soil problem. I wanted to try a good soil that i havn't tryed befor. I want an good all in one soil. I hate MG soil because it has way too much bark in it and it feeds ur soil for you but i want to feed the soil my self.

thanks for the help. im gunna head up there today and see what they have.

My last mix came from Lowes and Napa

1 bale of majestic earth peat moss $10
2 40 lb bags of black velvet mushroom compost $8
7 lbs of Epsoma garden Lime $8
8 lbs of Epsoma Plant-tone $12

and 1 40 lb bag of Superior oil absorber from Napa $6.50 (calcined fullers earth)

$44.50 for ~ 7 cubic feet of fully amended soil just add plants and water.
SO I use 1 bale of peat moss and no longer want to use dusty lime. So I am switching to the Epsoma garden lime I use a whole 7#s per bale? I add in bone and blood meal with guano added and tea used with some other goodies. So help me out pls. 7#s per bale?
thank%20you.gif