What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sea Water in my compost tea mix??? ACT

1Maconheiro

I understand that sea water has a lot of micro organisms, would it be beneficial to add sea water to my compost tea? How would the salt affect my plants? How much should I use?

My compost mix is pretty simple worm castings, organic compost, chicken manure, molasses and Aloe Vera. I live near the ocean and thought that sea water would be a good addition. What do you guys think?

fungzyme

If sea water has lots of microorganisms (which it probably does, but I don't know) they are organisms that have adapted to life in water with a high salt content. IMO they wouldn't be the best addition to soil, and the soil organisms haven't adapted to higher salt environments. Probably won't be disastrous in small amounts, but I can't see it helping a great deal better than just feeding your soil organisms with your regular tea to increase their numbers/activity.
Kelp rocks as an additive, though. Lots of trace minerals and K, etc. That's as close to adding something from the sea that I get, though.

B

BlueJayWay

kelp = benefits of the sea, without the salt :D or something like that....

sea water for sea plants, fresh water for fresh? plants :)

S

SeaMaiden

I understand that sea water has a lot of micro organisms, would it be beneficial to add sea water to my compost tea? How would the salt affect my plants? How much should I use?

My compost mix is pretty simple worm castings, organic compost, chicken manure, molasses and Aloe Vera. I live near the ocean and thought that sea water would be a good addition. What do you guys think?
Chances are that when those microbes hit the fresh water the difference in osmotic pressure will make them POP! Damn near instantly, if not instantly.

If you've ever taken a brackish water fish, such as black mollies (I used to keep them with my seahorses, because they're always breeding, popping babies and that's good seahorse food) from fresh to salt water too quickly, you know exactly what I mean.

Also, another FYI, in the trade and hobby we use freshwater dips on marine fish to rid them of external parasites and it works very well. We do exactly the opposite with freshwater fishes, too.

Chances are that when those microbes hit the fresh water the difference in osmotic pressure will make them POP! Damn near instantly, if not instantly.

If you've ever taken a brackish water fish, such as black mollies (I used to keep them with my seahorses, because they're always breeding, popping babies and that's good seahorse food) from fresh to salt water too quickly, you know exactly what I mean.

Also, another FYI, in the trade and hobby we use freshwater dips on marine fish to rid them of external parasites and it works very well. We do exactly the opposite with freshwater fishes, too.
Ya that. Salt should shrivel microorganisms not found in the sea and we're shooting for soil microbes, not their oceanic kin. I would be hesitant to try any any experiments with aerated compost tea without the aid of a microscope. How will you really know what was accomplished?

If sea water has lots of microorganisms (which it probably does, but I don't know) they are organisms that have adapted to life in water with a high salt content. IMO they wouldn't be the best addition to soil, and the soil organisms haven't adapted to higher salt environments. Probably won't be disastrous in small amounts, but I can't see it helping a great deal better than just feeding your soil organisms with your regular tea to increase their numbers/activity.
Kelp rocks as an additive, though. Lots of trace minerals and K, etc. That's as close to adding something from the sea that I get, though.

There is plenty of other things from the sea that growers use other than just kelp. Crab shell, Oyster shell, and ocean going fish just off the top of my head.

That being said, I wouldn't add seawater to my teas.

C

CT Guy

Not for teas but I did read a good article on the use of seawater in Italy for tomato crops. Wish I could remember the link but you may be able to find it on google. The use of water with low salinity at 1-2 times during the plants life I believe raised brix levels and nutrients in the fruit.

S

SeaMaiden

I'll have to look for that, CT. First thing that comes to my mind is how 'low salinity' is defined in this context.

Of course, it lends a wee bit of credence to the notion of using something like Sea-90, which is not only not 'just' sea salt, but behaves nothing like the saltwater mixes I'm familiar with. It's kinda tasty, too, not too salty, but a bit gritty. I've corrected BER problems in my squash and Roma tomatoes using it.

K, got a Science Daily News linky-link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070319091015.htm
http://digitaljournal.com/article/147467

C

CT Guy

I'll have to look for that, CT. First thing that comes to my mind is how 'low salinity' is defined in this context.

Of course, it lends a wee bit of credence to the notion of using something like Sea-90, which is not only not 'just' sea salt, but behaves nothing like the saltwater mixes I'm familiar with. It's kinda tasty, too, not too salty, but a bit gritty. I've corrected BER problems in my squash and Roma tomatoes using it.

K, got a Science Daily News linky-link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070319091015.htm
http://digitaljournal.com/article/147467

Nice work! :)

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet the study mentions the Italian farmers dilute the sea water as 10% of the total.

My understanding is the salt content is fine so long as the medium doesnt dry right out.

Must take a trip to the seaside soon :D

S

symbiote420

I grow 100% organic and use Sea-90 religiously as a foliar, drench, and in my teas! The plants really love it!
No spamming here just reporting what I see in my own garden, it fries fungus gnats in the soil and I kept a spider mite infestation in check with it.
I only use 1/2 tsp per gallon in my teas and a pinch in the 32 oz. bottle, bought a 15lb. bag for $20 with shipping added ......grew some OGs without using a drop of calmag the entire grow! It's really about how we apply anything we use, too much of anything good for your plants can be bad. j/s

S

symbiote420

Plus I'll add that it's a mineral more like say espom salts are, they don't call it epsom minerals lol, but we all know the benefits of espom salts!!

Neo 420

Veteran
I grow 100% organic and use Sea-90 religiously as a foliar, drench, and in my teas! The plants really love it!
No spamming here just reporting what I see in my own garden, it fries fungus gnats in the soil and I kept a spider mite infestation in check with it.
I only use 1/2 tsp per gallon in my teas and a pinch in the 32 oz. bottle, bought a 15lb. bag for $20 with shipping added ......grew some OGs without using a drop of calmag the entire grow! It's really about how we apply anything we use, too much of anything good for your plants can be bad. j/s

Organic cal/mag?