What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hundreds of watts of CFL SOG in cardboard boxes in an attic (Alaskan Ice).

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Dude, you need to tear down the fire trap while you can or at least have the decency to ask the mods to bin this thread. I mean this in the nicest way possible; Don't be an idiot.

L

L-Thirt33n

Don't do it! Don't grow cannabis in a damned card board box man. Use wood. Seriously.

If you can't use wood then for your own sake, use the sunlight and grow outdoors...

Look, it may very well be possible to accomplish this "cardboard box grow" but you have to ask yourself, is it really worth it?

Example- What if one day while your at work or out at your girlfriends house and the heat from the lights causes the cardboard box to collapse? Ok, now lets say there was some water on your freshly watered babies and it gets into the top of one of the CFLs...Uh oh...Then, it's not the box catching on fire you have to worry about, it's the house! An electrical short can and would be violent and extremely flammable. Fuses can't stop a short when water is introduced to the system...lol.

Not to mention now you're going to spray it with some flame retardant chemical that will undoubtedly find its way either into your plant/s or into your skin...Not a good idea!

I don't advise using the flame retardant and I don't advise using the cardboard boxes. AT ALL...

Why can't you use wood now? No tools or something?

Pertaining to the actual grow itsself, well a cardboard box is not a very plant-friendly environment.

Your humidity levels will be abnormal. You would need to seal off the box to retain humidity. But then that's going to cause another issue, more heat! Oh by the way, do you have any type of ventilation, circulation or even a fan? I see no mention of your basic environmental control factors other then trying to contain the light...

Either way even if it doesn't cause some kind of fire, with that type of environment you'd be capable of doing 1, MAYBE 2 plants. You'd be lucky if you get a couple ounces of bud. You have to be able to capture all your environmental factors in the box and control them...This just doesn't seem worth it to me...

But if you're feeling faithful about it there are some things you can do to maximize what you CAN do with it...But I highly recommend using wood or at least a section of a closet or something...

Δ-9

Don't do it! Don't grow cannabis in a damned card board box man. Use wood. Seriously.

If you can't use wood then for your own sake, use the sunlight and grow outdoors...

Look, it may very well be possible to accomplish this "cardboard box grow" but you have to ask yourself, is it really worth it?

What if one day while your at work or out at your girlfriends house and the heat from the lights causes the cardboard box to collapse? Flame retardant or not the whole thing's botched and it COULD still catch on fire. Lets say there was some water on your freshly watered babies and it gets into the top of one of the CFLs...Uh oh...

Plus, working with water, electricity and cardboard is generally an accident waiting to happen. Not to mention now you're going to spray it with some flame retardant chemical that will undoubtedly find its way either into your plant/s or into your skin...Not a good idea!

I don't advise using the flame retardant and I don't advise using the cardboard boxes. AT ALL...

Why can't you use wood? No tools?

Pertaining to the actual grow itsself, well a cardboard box is not a very plant-friendly environment.

Your humidity levels will be abnormal. You would need to seal off the box to retain humidity. But then that's going to cause another issue, more heat! Oh by the way, do you have any type of ventilation, circulation or even a fan? I see no mention of your basic environmental control factors so in my opinion you are WAY off my man...

Utilizing your light will also be a BIG problem. All the brown cardboard box is doing is eating up all 300 something watts of your CFL power. The surface of the box is pourus and non reflective. You need a 90-100% reflective surface to use CFLs for growing. Something like a FLAT white surface or MYLAR to contain your light is absolutely necessary! If you don't figure out a way to contain the light you will effectively lose up to 65-75% of your USABLE light. Then you're just wasting money...

Either way even if it doesn't catch on fire, you're way off track and the grow would be botched from the beggining. With that type of environment you'd be capable of doing 1 MAYBE 2 plants. You'd be lucky if you get an ounce of bud. You have to be able to capture all your environmental factors in the box and control them...This is best done with wood. Not paper...

I don't have 2 large wooden boxes. I also don't have a table saw or a way to cut into the wood. I was planning on using a 6" duct fan in each box with a carbon scrubber. I was also going to paint the inside of each box with flat white paint.

Again, if anyone knows of a source for plywood boxes or cabinets, please do let me know. I'm yet to find something suitable.

You don't need a table saw, you can have HD rip the panels for you.

For a box, there are many, many, many things you can use - if you don't want to just buy some panels and build one.

- old dresser
- bookshelf
- desk
- file cabinet

These are just a few of many examples you will see on this site. Do a little more research before you dive in.

jtk707

If yoyr willing to buy CARDBOARD FLAME RETARDANT you can afford some panda plastic to make a box , or go to a second hand store and buy some type of wardrobe or pre built box with doors . People are going to hate on you if you dont go the safe route. I did grow in a cardboard box. The sides got wet it crumbled my lights fell my plants fried and luckily my studio didnt burn down. GOOD LUCK peace and chicken grease:joint:

Δ-9

I just remembered that I know someone with a drill press, and surely a 6" bit.

Is a 6" duct fan generally a little less than 6"?

You don't want a drill press, it will very likely be difficult to put the box under the press.

But if the dude has a press, he almost certainly has a hand drill as well. Seriously though, what man doesn't own at least a few tools? Buy a hand drill, twenty bucks. If you start buying a few basic tools as you need them, and take care of them - it will pay off big time in the long run.

-- You are a man, right? This isn't some secret grow in a buddy's parent's attic? Right?

Δ-9

You don't want a drill press, it will very likely be difficult to put the box under the press.

But if the dude has a press, he almost certainly has a hand drill as well. Seriously though, what man doesn't own at least a few tools? Buy a hand drill, twenty bucks. If you start buying a few basic tools as you need them, and take care of them - it will pay off big time in the long run.

-- You are a man, right? This isn't some secret grow in a buddy's parent's attic? Right?

It's from ikea, so it comes unassembled. I have a drill but no 6" bit, and I figued the press would be easier to use with an unassembled side of a box.

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
6" drill....priceless. have u ever used power tools before? the only thing that could possibly be is a drill bit 6" in length, which doesn't describe your cutting diameter at all. FYI long ones are referred to as "jobber" drill bits. now at least you know 1 thing about tools.

secondly, 6" in diameter? a drill? chucked into a drill press? for cutting a piece of wood?

are you fucking shitting me...

FYI cutting out holes in wood would be the job for some type of reciprocating saw and you would drill through first to make a starter hole (try a 2" hole saw and a cordless drill.) that being said, go find someone who knows how to use big boy stuff.

p.s. cardboard flame repellent !!!! wow

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
oh, and have someone else use saw horses and clamps to keep wood in place.

figured if u do end up doing it and kill yourself it won't be on my conscience.

Δ-9

6" drill....priceless. have u ever used power tools before? the only thing that could possibly be is a drill bit 6" in length, which doesn't describe your cutting diameter at all. FYI long ones are referred to as "jobber" drill bits. now at least you know 1 thing about tools.

secondly, 6" in diameter? a drill? chucked into a drill press? for cutting a piece of wood?

are you fucking shitting me...

FYI cutting out holes in wood would be the job for some type of reciprocating saw and you would drill through first to make a starter hole (try a 2" hole saw and a cordless drill.) that being said, go find someone who knows how to use big boy stuff.

p.s. cardboard flame repellent !!!! wow

... I've used 5 and 6" bits on a press before. If it wasn't possible, the bit wouldn't exist.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
Δ-9;2209650 said:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89811770

I did find this, but I don't know how I'd make a 6" circle for a fan.

yes that would make a nice cab for you. you can use a holesaw (attaches to normal drill) or get someone else to make the hole in the panel before you build it. you may even be able to just cut the hole with a knife as the backing plate on these is some shitty wood, almost like card.
bonus in a cab that size, is capable of high powered hps in a cooltube, should you ever.. ;)

smokeymacpot

Veteran
Δ-9;2209821 said:
I just remembered that I know someone with a drill press, and surely a 6" bit.

Is a 6" duct fan generally a little less than 6"?

do not worry :D you would end up buying a flat plate with a flange for pipe and attach that around the hole you cut. then connect fan to pipe e.t.c

L

L-Thirt33n

Δ-9;2209925 said:
It's from ikea, so it comes unassembled. I have a drill but no 6" bit, and I figued the press would be easier to use with an unassembled side of a box.

Sounds like an excellent idea!

Latest posts

Latest posts