What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMEP-OL Vs. Dual TRS-21 or TR-19

littlepookie

Can you guys help me work through the pros and cons, please?

CMEP-OL is $500-800 more, produces less heat and thus saves money on ice or dry ice.

Maybe the TRS-21 or TR19 in a dual set-up would be faster and cheaper? What do you guys think?

I've been considering the same for a couple years now. The CMEP-OL is claimed to be just a bit faster than two TRS21s in tandem and costs $500-800 more than TWO TRS21's combined (or more...I've seen used TRS21's in good shape for $700-750, haven't seen a CMEP-OL under $2500, mostly $2800).

When the CMEP-OL first came out I really wanted it but I've decided to just keep adding more TRS21's to my system for a couple reasons. One is redundancy. I like the idea of having multiple pumps, each with its own bypass, so if a pump fails in the middle of recovery, I can just bypass it and keep running. The other thing is that although the TRS21s need to be taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt fairly often, it's generally cheap and easy to do. Rebuilds on the CMEP-OL seem costlier and more difficult. I'm thinking about going up to 3 or even 4 TRS21's - I'm using 30-36lb of butane each run...it takes quite a while to recover - over 2 hours with a single trs21. With more pumps and a better cooling solution for my pumps' outputs, I'm hoping to get that down to 30-40 minutes.

If choosing betwee the two, I like multiple tr21s for durability and ease of rebuild, but dislike the heat they produce. However. the cmep-ol is quieter and rated for the solvents we use, but is not as durable or easy to rebuild.

As far as the trs19, it appears to be just like the TRS21, but with half as strong of a pump. The 21 is 1HP, whereas the 19 is just 1/2HP. I've also been looking at the TRA21 and TRA21O which appear to just be a TRS21 with a rollcage and some accessories like a dryer and comes with a 30lb recovery tank. I really wish they'd just come out with a 2-5HP beefed up version of the TRS21. While there are other pumps out there that can move 2-5 times as much gas as the TRS21, they all seem to be MUCH more expensive. The CMEP6000 or VaporHawg costs as much as 12-15 TRS21s but they only seem to recover at 3-5x the speed of a TRS21.