What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hang dry for 2 weeks

macdiesel

I'm going to be out of town during my harvest, so I'm wondering if I can hang my girls to dry in my tent for 2 weeks.....is that too long? RH stays about 40 where i live. thanks in advance

Yes, that's too long. I jar mine on the stems after 4 or 5 days and then burp them regularly untill dry, at which point I cut the buds from the stems and jar the buds.

MedResearcher

Veteran
40 RH is a tiny bit low, but not to bad.

With the right RH you could hang for months, 2 weeks will be no problem. We typically hang for around a month.

I have had really fantastic small batch stuff that hung for a half a year, super slow dry. Smelled almost like a fine wine.

Mr^^

EvergreenState

MedResearcher what would you say is the right humidity and temps. for 2 week plus hang time or your one month hang time?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I might be speaking out of turn here but 2 weeks at 40% and it's going to be like hay.

I use a tent to dry mine. And, 2 weeks isn't out of the question. But, I'm at 55% and 65-70F. Anything below 50% and (so I have heard) is overly dry and has lost all it's moisture.

Like I said, I could be out of school.

I know if you water before harvest, it will take longer for the plant to dry. Also hanging it whole and not taking off any leaves/branches will keep moisture in longer. If you hang it whole, most of the fan leaves will dry in a position where it will help the bud maintain moisture from inside the stem and you should be fine. It also depends on how big the plants are, mold can become an issue with bigger plants.

macdiesel

I have temp and humidity control in my tent, just don't want the buds getting too dry. Seems like it will be fine. Thanks peeps

MedResearcher

Veteran
MedResearcher what would you say is the right humidity and temps. for 2 week plus hang time or your one month hang time?

A lot of variables involved. How much you are drying, risk of mold, density of flowers, was there already some rot or mold in the field, fan leaves bucked off or left on, how much stalk is hanging, etc..

Don't think there is a single answer that will fit all situations. 45-55 RH is pretty ballpark. As cold as possible, the heat speeds up the degrading. The light also degrades it, so dark is better.

When I did smaller crops I was able to run higher humidity to get a slower cure for more quality. I would try to hang around 55% even 60%, for as long as I wanted.

Do larger pulls now, cant really observe it all, and we pack the drying room very very thick. Sheets of flowers pushed right next to each other. Cant risk any fungal growth, so we hit them a bit harder, under 50%, 45% even. Can still hang for a long ass time.

The dense stuff, even if its crispy once you tub it up and pop the lid it will go right back to being sticky. We harvested this last year from September 15th until October 30th. I am still checking tubs to make sure there is not to much moisture.

Curing canna is like an art form. Very similar to high end cigars or wine. I think eventually consumers will appreciate the longer slow cures. Most of them have just never been introduced to it, so they don't have much to compare their flash cured flowers to.

40-60% pretty good imo. Better to slightly over dry something than to let it go anaerobic. Once it goes bad, it will never be the same.

I think Colorado is a LOT drier than Nor Cal. High altitude, freezing temps, no RH. I know old school outdoor growers in Nor Cal who would hang whole plants in wood shacks over the entire winter. Months and months later, flowers so sticky can barely roll a joint, let alone smoke one without some tobacco in it.

Had a cooky friend who loved to smoke weed. When he came over I would take nugs and stick them to the window to test them.... he always got a kick out of it. If it was sticky enough to stick to the window it was quality, if it dropped it was meh.

OP: Agree with Cloudy, if your worried about over drying to be sure to leave the fan leaves on. If you were really worried can use hangers of flowers with brown paper bags over them. The paper both wicks moisture away and retains it.

Mr^^

Last edited:

Speed of green

I might be speaking out of turn here but 2 weeks at 40% and it's going to be like hay.

I use a tent to dry mine. And, 2 weeks isn't out of the question. But, I'm at 55% and 65-70F. Anything below 50% and (so I have heard) is overly dry and has lost all it's moisture.

Like I said, I could be out of school.

I agree with this.

40% for two weeks and you could have an extremely dry product that crumbles to dust.

You could seal the tent up and set your exhaust fan to vent the tent every hour or so for a couple minutes, this should let the humidity rise and fall.

THC123

Veteran
Just dont trim them at all and you should be fine, It will be a bit too dry to cure in jars. But not too dry to vac seal them and let them cure that way!