What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Choosing a Good R.O. Filter?

5lrootsexcel

I have been using this cheap filter set up for years, consistently 0 ppm. I just change out the filters every couple months.

https://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=702

I wouldn't recommend this unit for hydro use because the carbon and sediment filter seem to be on the smaller side. Larger carbon and sediment filters would do more of the filtering before it hits the RO membrane. The purewaterclub unit with smaller filters would be letting the RO membrane take care of the work and probably wear the membrane out sooner. RO membranes are expensive compared to carbon/sediment filters so remember to clean and replace your filters.

I ended up buying Hydrologic Stealth Ro300 Filter. And got upgraded Carbon Filter.

One thing I am noticing is the water is tasting of EXTREMELY PLASTIC-Y / hose water taste.(I bought for drinking water also :D)...but.... The manual said let run for 2-3 minutes first time. I ran for 30 minutes down the drain. Then I've been using for one week (another maybe 10-15gallon), but water still tastes very plastic like, almost like garden hose water but even more plastic.

Is there something wrong with my unit? (I am contacting HydroLogic currently) But anyone has experienced something like this?

RB56

Veteran
I ended up buying Hydrologic Stealth Ro300 Filter. And got upgraded Carbon Filter.

One thing I am noticing is the water is tasting of EXTREMELY PLASTIC-Y / hose water taste.(I bought for drinking water also :D)...but.... The manual said let run for 2-3 minutes first time. I ran for 30 minutes down the drain. Then I've been using for one week (another maybe 10-15gallon), but water still tastes very plastic like, almost like garden hose water but even more plastic.

Is there something wrong with my unit? (I am contacting HydroLogic currently) But anyone has experienced something like this?
I've been using my Stealth 150 for drinking water from day one. Water4 has never tasted of plastic or anything else. I have their tank for drinking water but can't think of a reason that would make a difference whether you have a tank or not. I also run mine directly to an atomizing humidifier and it seems likely that any odors in the water would come out there too. Hope they can help. Sounds like there's a problem.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Perhaps they changed a hose, or received some poor quality hose? Give each piece of hose a good strong sniff, because most hoses I've noticed with a plastic taste also have a chemical smell to them. My stealth 100 r/o has also never tasted like plastic, and I can almost taste a bug fart in the wind at 20 paces. lol I don't use their tank, I have a 55 gal drum which originally had hydrogen peroxide in it.

Bobby Boucher

My RO tastes like whatever I put it in. If I drink it from a plastic jug, it tastes like the jug. If I drink from glass, it tastes like the glass. If I suck it strait from the plastic hose, it tastes like the hose.

If it actually tastes tainted, I would just run it all day and keep checking the taste every few hours.

RB56 Hopefully not, but I will find out soon. Emailed then a day ago, if I don't hear back I will call them tomorrow.

Douglas you're great! (funny! haha) Maybe the hose?...It is polyurethane. I will be using Rubbermaid BRUTE (food safe) container to store the water to. Have not installed the float valve yet, so I have been pouring it straight from the ro filter hose (it has a "T" on the end to shut off the water).

Bobby, I have poured it into one of those water jugs you get from the store for water, then into a glass cup. Also straight from the filter hose into a reusable water bottle. They're both rather plastic tasting. I'm going to pour it straight into a glass and see if it's any different. But first I think I'm just going to leave it running for few hours.