What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drip emitter vs open pipes

Hi everybody i was wondering if i should go with open pipes vs using emitters in a recirculating drip tote setup. Ive always used the drip stake emitters with the adjustable cap that you twist to adjust flow. Have also used disc style emitters and both types clog frequently. I read a thread were some people were saying to ditch the emitters and go with open pipes. Would it hurt to do that? Would the flow be too much? Medium is hydroton, h and g aquaflakes nutes and am using a 250gph acitve aqua pump. Thanks for any input here

MJINC

It's always nice to be able to control the flow with an emitter system. It's a bit more work but your more likely to get an even, controllable, measurable amount of water to each plant this way

Ogtg2213

If your hydroton can drain properly , you literally can't overwater it, I quit using emitters years ago. I'd never use them again. You can always Put your pump on a timer if you want to maximuize oxygen in the root zone

currently using open 4mm tubes coming off a 4mm x piece.
timed for 1 min 4x a day, coco is very compacted, do I care, nope, they seem to still be growing happily,
do you have yours constantly on?

Yeah i have usually run continuous drip setups but can look into getting a good timer cheap ones from walmart have failed me before. I'm also thinking i could try a pressure regulator but that might just clog like emitters do. My hydroton net cups drain freely open pipes on a timer might be my best option. Thanks for the help guys

Speaking of coco coir I'm considering ordering a brick and mixing it with the hydroton so my root zone doesn't dry out too much between waterings. Then i could run the pump every few hours like you paranoidnz. Running it on and off too frequently ruins subersmible pumps from what I've heard before.

I run open tubes also.

IMO... you got to use a way big pump, like a 400 GPH to run 8 1/4" open tubes.

The big pump tends gives give even flow to all tubes.

Too small pump, and the tubes that are furthest from the pump have low pressure.

I run open tubes also.

IMO... you got to use a way big pump, like a 400 GPH to run 8 1/4" open tubes.

The big pump tends gives give even flow to all tubes.

Too small pump, and the tubes that are furthest from the pump have low pressure.
Are you running a continuous flow or using a timer? My pump is rated for 396gph so im good then. I have 8" piece of vinyl tubing from the pumphead then plug the end with a piece of hydroton. That piece is basically a manifold i poke holes in it for barb fittings and run each line to it individually.

Are you running a continuous flow or using a timer? My pump is rated for 396gph so im good then. I have 8" piece of vinyl tubing from the pumphead then plug the end with a piece of hydroton. That piece is basically a manifold i poke holes in it for barb fittings and run each line to it individually.

I run timers. I'm in coco. When the root system is mature, I run the pump four times a day for ten minutes.

However, several times I left the pump running 24 hours and the plants love that too. I don't run continuous because I don't want the pumps to heat up the rez.