What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stunted seedlings from 600W too close???

Tys4runnin

I can't seem to find anywhere online if anyone else that has stunted seedlings from a HID 600W too close to seedlings, and if that would stunt the growth. Does anyone know how far a 600W MH should be from seedlings? Also it would be more helpful if anyone uses a LUX meter to distinguish how much light they give their seedlings :chin:

GonjaLove

Buy yourself a couple t5's for babies. Get them shits like 2 or so inches away with an oscillating fan on low. My babies sometimes touch my t5's before I get the chance to raise them with no stunt or burn. Bigger hid's make me nervous on any fresh seedling or clone.

Tys4runnin

Thanks GL, but I'm sick of buying shit. I have everything under the roof, lux meter, TDS meter, etc. (I built my own ebb and flow, which is pretty sick btw) but I know enough to know people throw their babies under HID at first. Maybe one day when I feel up to it in future grows will I buy a t5 fixture.

localyocal

Only just my personal input, I know it isn't really answering your question and just my two cents. I use t-5 lights on my CLONES, and keep them under the light until they are around a foot or two depending before I throw then under the 600's. I don't like the idea of my clones being under a 600 let alone a seedling. That being said, if ur just now trying to determine how your grow works using a 600 for seedlings, ur gonna have to test it. There definitely is not great answer except trial and error, but i also agree with Jaqen with a 2 foot mark as a starting point, but that also really depends on your hoods and ventillation and general room temp...Thats a hot bulb to try and experiment with a seedling that you say already has stunted growth, and just know that you are going to basically have to babysit the plant if you for some reason can't afford to lose it. If this is an option, and you have more than one seedling, I would place them at different heights under the light and see which one fairs the best, using buckets or whatever to set them on to have different heights utilizing one light.

Tys4runnin

Thanks local. Your two cents means a lot. It's nice to have more experienced ppl give their time of day for a newbie

OldPhart

I know you don't want to buy more stuff, but.....

I know you don't want to buy more stuff, but.....

If you are really looking for tight nodes, it is as much about the spectrum as it is the intensity/distance. You mention that you are running 600w HID, but what type of HID? MH will get you much better node spacing than HPS will.

I love my little 4x24" T-5 lamp. I use it for seedlings/clones, and it makes for some crazy dense nodes with 6500k bulbs. I have also seen some good results under CFLs, using high kelvin bulbs.

LedLara

With the cooler spectrums of >6500Kelvin you should be able to get a great node distance, take some screw in LED's or even good old PLL..

Ogtg2213

It's all about the lumens, Just keep the 600w light 3 feet above the canopy, after they have 2 sets of real leaves you can start to lower the light 6" a day
I clone and start seedlings with 1000w lights any time my t-5's are busy.