What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Clear .............Thread!

Old Gold

You take the dark oil, put it in the distiller, turn the distiller on until you fractionate and fractionate and fractionate. And when your done fractionating, youre done distilling its real eazy. You get clear oil.

mobin

You take the dark oil, put it in the distiller, turn the distiller on until you fractionate and fractionate and fractionate. And when your done fractionating, youre done distilling its real eazy. You get clear oil.

Damn, i knew it had to be one of those keep it simple stupid deals. Here i was overcomplicating things.

Old Gold

Damn, i knew it had to be one of those keep it simple stupid deals. Here i was overcomplicating things.

As for your previous questions, with what you already know and the info in this thread, you should be able to answer your own question through a few trial runs, and perhaps recording data while you work. I highly recommend it as well.

What did you mean by "first pass is difficult to fraction"? You had to raise temperatures to get anything over? Or you had a very wide range of boiling and condensing temperatures per fraction? Or you just didn't get a good color in your collection? Give more details and I'm sure someone may be able to help

Consider getting a clean boiling flask for final runs, when your product is fairly pure already. See if you can dial in pressures and temperatures.

mobin

As for your previous questions, with what you already know and the info in this thread, you should be able to answer your own question through a few trial runs, and perhaps recording data while you work. I highly recommend it as well.

What did you mean by "first pass is difficult to fraction"? You had to raise temperatures to get anything over? Or you had a very wide range of boiling and condensing temperatures per fraction? Or you just didn't get a good color in your collection? Give more details and I'm sure someone may be able to help

Consider getting a clean boiling flask for final runs, when your product is fairly pure already. See if you can dial in pressures and temperatures.

well I had some successes i'd say. re-ran a batch of 19g and cleaned it up a good bit.

as far as first pass issues, i was runnin non dewaxed bho and wasnt able to get anything other than a single wide fraction. From what i've studied its all about having too many bp components goin at once, so re-distill and the subsequent run will be easier to separate.

I got a ton of extra glass load/boiling and collection stuff, only to break the vacuum port off of the head. so i ordered a new one up, just a standard laboy.

im going to try piecing together a smaller jointed kit (currently 24/40)
and ill spring for a vacuum jacketed head with some vigreaux indents and see how that helps the process along.

while waiting for the new head to come in, I found a guy with a ton of welch vacuum pump parts so i bought what he had and overhauled my 1405 today........still outgassin whatever solvents/shit i left in the pump so i wont know my ultimate vac for a couple days, ill be happy if i can beat the 50 microns it was getting before.

ive definitely learned a ton getting to where im at now, just gotta keep tryin runs and making improvements. hopefully the vac and head swaps will sort out nicely and i can show off something soon.

ive gotten light ambery gold thus far......wanna get it colorless!

LostTribe

Premium user
I have a lot of Cinderella 99 from my harvest 6 months back that I am thinking about running out as BHO and will consider this once I get to that point. I also have some Headband that needs to get run so once I get the dough for some tane I will then check into fractional distillation.

How much does a basic setup run??

mobin

I'd like to think I got my setup for a cheap as possible.

laboy glass is around 150-180 ebay/amazon for basic fract dist kit
chinese stuff can be had around the $80-100 for the same kit
mantle- 100 from SEOH
welch 1405- $80
vac gauge- $60
misc shit.......at least the cost of all the above lol

the vac pump is the most important/expensive and it doesn't mean shit if you can't tell how its pulling with a real gauge (thermocouple/pirani/mcleod)

welchs' are all over for well under $3-500 shipped, and oil change and shaft seal is prob all youll need to get so decent vac.

its definitely not cheap to get some clear in the collection flask. the cost of starting material aint shit compared to the time and money spent learning the process.

challenging, but not impossible. scary as fuck oftentimes, but so worth it in the end.

I have a lot of Cinderella 99 from my harvest 6 months back that I am thinking about running out as BHO and will consider this once I get to that point. I also have some Headband that needs to get run so once I get the dough for some tane I will then check into fractional distillation.

How much does a basic setup run??

LostTribe

Premium user
GW you got a link to any vendors that have the correct components to set up one of these systems? I was checking out lab glassware and there are just too many to search through.

Looks like a list of required materials are as follows: (feel free to correct me or add on)

heating mantel
2L 2 neck round bottom flask
24/40 SP distillation head w/ vigreux thermometer joint 14/20
24/40 cow receiving flask w/ 3x offset receiving joints 24/40
3x 250 ml round bottom flasks 24/40
4 inch deler condenser w 45/50 endcap
1L 45/50 Dewer round bottom flask
assorted keck clips
assorted thermometer joint adapters x2
hoses
chiller
vacuum pump

open source steel has a kit with just the glassware for $2150 which is high I would think as the distiller head seems to be the most costly piece.....

I haven't done anything chemistry related besides open blasting BHO in like 2 decades so excuse me for my ignorance. This looks like a fun project!

Really need to bite the bullet and gather the parts for CLS first it seems. Butane cost is prohibitive to me running oil as would be needed. Then there is the problem of what to do with all of the extra oil!

I really need to make some new friends that are 420 friendly.....all my old stoner friends either gave it up or moved far away.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW you got a link to any vendors that have the correct components to set up one of these systems? I was checking out lab glassware and there are just too many to search through.

Looks like a list of required materials are as follows: (feel free to correct me or add on)

heating mantel
2L 2 neck round bottom flask
24/40 SP distillation head w/ vigreux thermometer joint 14/20
24/40 cow receiving flask w/ 3x offset receiving joints 24/40
3x 250 ml round bottom flasks 24/40
4 inch deler condenser w 45/50 endcap
1L 45/50 Dewer round bottom flask
assorted keck clips
assorted thermometer joint adapters x2
hoses
chiller
vacuum pump

open source steel has a kit with just the glassware for $2150 which is high I would think as the distiller head seems to be the most costly piece.....

I haven't done anything chemistry related besides open blasting BHO in like 2 decades so excuse me for my ignorance. This looks like a fun project!

Really need to bite the bullet and gather the parts for CLS first it seems. Butane cost is prohibitive to me running oil as would be needed. Then there is the problem of what to do with all of the extra oil!

I really need to make some new friends that are 420 friendly.....all my old stoner friends either gave it up or moved far away.

I don't but Pharmer Joe both runs and builds them, both short path and molecular distillation, and if you will email me at graywolf@skunkpharmresearch.com, I will forward it to him and hook you up.

mobin

I'd like to think I got my setup for a cheap as possible.

laboy glass is around 150-180 ebay/amazon for basic fract dist kit
chinese stuff can be had around the $80-100 for the same kit
mantle- 100 from SEOH
welch 1405- $80
vac gauge- $60
misc shit.......at least the cost of all the above lol

additionally I should have stated that my setup is in no way indicative of the "correct" way as there are factors like how much you wanna run per setup, that will more determine what you need.

im not tryin to make money with my setup, its purely for fun/challenge/hobby so I didn't need a rotovap and kugelator etc.

my vacuum pump wasn't a hook up and run deal, with some minor mechanical knowledge one can make a cheap old welch work for the purpose of making distillate.

my glass is not the best, and boy am I glad because the "learning" cost would have increased quite a bit as I break something often enough to be more careful even with the cheap shit now.

if you're the type that likes to tinker and learn.....go my way

if you just wanna turn out production runs.....good luck! Can't offer my opinion there.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Was just at my boys warehouse checking out his gear for his new setup...

Thats 15 chillers and pumps...

And yes, the tank does start right up and drive.....

bammurdead

Quick question.... can you use bubble hash as a starting material for short path distillation of THC? Can't seem to find the answer, most people use BHO

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Certainly a leg up on equipment!

Boy toys! Alas, I recently lost a friend (Steve Preston), who fired a demo round from one of his tanks and the breach exploded, killing him and his driver.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fractional distillation, big time. I know GW has Michael Starks "Marijuana Chemistry," can anyone correct the errors in the picture captions from pages 118 & 119?

For one thing if it's indeed fractional distillation, all the solvent is long gone.

I want all the details, don't you!?

"One seizure revealed a veritable 'Rube Goldberg' machine consisting of a boiler, a heat exchanger, a vacuum assembly and other components (with parts list, instructions and assembly methods) for a sophisticated hash oil apparatus which was scheduled to be shipped to the Middle East."

https://www.scribd.com/document/24502143/Marijuana-Chemistry-Michael-Starks

Last pic comes from The Brotherhood of Eternal Love Senate report,

https://archive.org/stream/hashishsmuggling00unit#page/16/mode/2up

"Right around the time that the book (Cannabis Alchemy) came out, a wave of Afghani Honey Oil hit San Francisco. Made in Afghanistan from fresh charas and purified by fractional distillation, this wonderful product was the strongest cannabis preparation that anyone anywhere, up until that time, had probably ever smoked, in my opinion. It was probably around 80% or more cannabinoids, but was unlike similar oils available today. It had all the high of the THC that one would expect, but retained the powerful ass-kicking knock-you-down power of fine Afghani. It retailed for $50 a gram and was worth every cent to everyone who partook of the lung-crushing delight. Its acrid taste indicated that it probably was isomerized, but I don’t think it was acetylated. Many people attribute its import to the Brotherhood of Eternal Love in Laguna Beach, a courageous bunch of long-distance surfers!

For the next decade or so, many different extraction products were available in California. The original Honey Oil from The Brotherhood was the standard and very few offerings approached its intensity and quality." D. Gold/David Hoye

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7643180&postcount=3

Attachments

• 125-4c0cfafd98.jpg
    125-4c0cfafd98.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 126-3fc5029907.jpg
    126-3fc5029907.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 127-3121c316f0.jpg
    127-3121c316f0.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 17
  • hashishsmuggling00unit_0022.jpg
    hashishsmuggling00unit_0022.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

mobin

Quick question.... can you use bubble hash as a starting material for short path distillation of THC? Can't seem to find the answer, most people use BHO

you can. but the less pure the starting product, the more impure the distillate, the more degradation that takes place due to the extra time it takes to separate cannabanoids from a greater number of compounds present, which means lower yields.

can you get a great, pure distillate from bubhash? yes, but you will suffer a greater ratio of loss.

you can. but the less pure the starting product, the more impure the distillate, the more degradation that takes place due to the extra time it takes to separate cannabanoids from a greater number of compounds present, which means lower yields.

can you get a great, pure distillate from bubhash? yes, but you will suffer a greater ratio of loss.

Speaking of yields ...........I'm just curious what all this distillation and fractioning does to the overall yield. Let's assume you're starting with 450 grams of BHO. Beginning with winterization which for me always reduces yields 12-18% ............ from there how far south do yields go trying to produce translucent, colorless oil?

Old Gold

Speaking of yields ...........I'm just curious what all this distillation and fractioning does to the overall yield. Let's assume you're starting with 450 grams of BHO. Beginning with winterization which for me always reduces yields 12-18% ............ from there how far south do yields go trying to produce translucent, colorless oil?

In my few runs, I saw 23-35% yields of quality, smokeable distillate. Potentially another 5% or so of thicker oil that's is going onto red and streaky (much higher B.P. than light thc fractions), which I've eaten and happily got stoned. I theorize I could snag some thc out of that cleanly if I dialed in my vacuum pressure deeper. Otherwise, it is great food grade oil. I haven't dabbed it yet.
Starting material was runny black oil from the Bhottom of who-knows-who's barrel. I always winterize as well.

How do you not get the stank to end up in the distillate? It's this nasty smokie smell that just gets into everything the distillation head, receiving flasks, vacuum lines, and end product.

Is it a terpene that I collected too early or is it from over-cooking the flask. It seems like my main body is coming out late (250-280c). I don't know if it's our vac (can only get down to 0.7torr).