What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Clear .............Thread!

Still unclear about what "hold up" is.
I believe that hold up is the amount held in the system. Here it seems they are referring to the amount in the column and thus sizing of it. Other times it will refer to the size of the system and the amount lost to the sides and what not.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"3. The hold-up of the column should not exceed one-tenth of the volume of any one component to be separated."

I believe the hold-up is the higher boiling point components held up in the reflux of the column.

"Definition of holdup: unrecoverable distillate that wets the column packing (only for fractional distillation)"

https://quizlet.com/78297491/distillation-flash-cards/

This morning I read through the info and manuals for Auberins' power regulators, and temperature controllers with power regulator function. Everything on this page,

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=53

Here's their explanation of current solid state power control (versus a Variac - the standard,)

"Appendix
Technical Talk -- How does it Work? v1.1
There are three commonly used methods for AC power control."

"2) Time proportional firing. A fixed cycle time needs to be defined in this method. Then, the controller or regulator adjusts the on time during each cycle to achieve the power control. For example, if the cycle time is 1 second, turn on the power for 0.25 second for every 1 second means a 25% power output. Most of PID controllers use this method to control SSRs. This is also how the manual mode of Auber's PID controller works, except the cycle time has to be 2 second or longer.
Using this method, the user can linearly adjust output. But the power output is pulsed at each cycle. The shortest cycle time for most PID is either 1 or 2 second. Therefore, power is pulsed at 1 or 2 seconds. When heating a liquid, heat is not transferred as smooth as the phase-angle fire method."

Pages 3-5 here,

https://auberins.com/images/Manual/DSPR1 manual_V1.pdf

Read what their DSPR400 can do,

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=559

Much more in the manual,

https://auberins.com/images/Manual/DSPR400_manual.pdf

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 9.17.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 9.17.47 AM.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 12.00.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 12.00.19 AM.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 11.57.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 11.57.59 PM.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 11.58.57 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 11.58.57 PM.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi I’m interested in purchasing a bho distillate processing setup. Right now I’m looking at lab society, open source steel, and gold leaf scientific but am open to different brands. I’m looking at 2l kits. It seems like gold leaf has the lowest price on the kits at around $4500 with the chiller so I’m leaning towards them but figured I’d stop in here to see if you guys have any suggestions on which to choose or if I should just build my own kit? I’m planning on processing about a lb of oil once a month at first but may increase production depending on demand. Also I see that there’s an option on open source steel to get only a heater instead of a heater/cooler and on gold leaf I can purchase without a chiller for $2500. Is a chiller necessary?

Also I’ve read this thread trying to get a better understanding on the process itself but am still pretty fuzzy. Can anyone recommend any other good resources on the distillate process itself on YouTube, other forums etc? Thanks everyone!

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Hi I’m interested in purchasing a bho distillate processing setup. Right now I’m looking at lab society, open source steel, and gold leaf scientific but am open to different brands. I’m looking at 2l kits. It seems like gold leaf has the lowest price on the kits at around $4500 with the chiller so I’m leaning towards them but figured I’d stop in here to see if you guys have any suggestions on which to choose or if I should just build my own kit? I’m planning on processing about a lb of oil once a month at first but may increase production depending on demand. Also I see that there’s an option on open source steel to get only a heater instead of a heater/cooler and on gold leaf I can purchase without a chiller for $2500. Is a chiller necessary?

Also I’ve read this thread trying to get a better understanding on the process itself but am still pretty fuzzy. Can anyone recommend any other good resources on the distillate process itself on YouTube, other forums etc? Thanks everyone!

I am sure those companies have very quality products, but you could put together the parts, including a used/rebuilt vacuum pump, for a small fraction of the cost. Check out Deschem on ebay. They have awesome customer service and shipping from China is usually 8-10 days.

http://stores.ebay.com/Deschem-Science-Supply

Roji

Dont forget a rotovap to recover your ethanol after winterization.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Summit Research has a new video describing their latest SPD tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD1NVu2bMuo

Noperuiy

The distillate still smell like shit

The distillate still smell like shit

I run couple distillate , it smell like shit . People recommend to chagne the cow receiver but i have no clude when it need to be change due to , the flask still keep boiling at 220. Vacuump full run ( edward 5 ) , it keep pushing the odor out . Please any one help ? Your help is much appreciated it . The distill so clear and very liquid not thick. But i dare not to try .

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 9.26.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 9.26.22 AM.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 9.28.00 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 9.28.00 AM.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 16