What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Top feed drain to waste hugo thread (post yours here)

so lets talk about it. Top fed drain to waste hugo growing. I'd like to hear from others how they condition their rockwool, how often they feed and anything else as to how they dial in hugo growing! i'll post my pics and questions are welcome.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
-GH nutrient..
-10ml Micro and 10ml Bloom @ 5.5-5.8ph
-Soak for 1 hour and then stack cubes on top of each other to dry them out to easily transport to table...
-Readjust soaking liquid to 5.8-5.9 and water with that over the next week till gone...

To water them - Soak from the top till it comes out the bottom, cant get any more simple then that!

very nice! i do the same flushing /soaking method but keep running into issues that dont seem to plague most. i test my run off almost daily and have huge pH fluctuations. for instance, run while feeding at 5.8 will come out at 6.4, visible signs of damage to the plants and i adjust the feed to 5.2 untill run off comes back to 5.8. i can not figure out why i have such large pH fluctuations and others don't.

jaystray

HGO I think you need to feed more if your ph goes up they need more food
If your ph drops and your ppm goes up your food is to strong.

gmanwho

Veteran
bacteria can change ph.

plant roots can change the ph by excreting different acids/alkalines to aid in the breakdown of surrounding elements.

in my top drip recirc. i see ph rise most when my feed is a little stronger then the plants want to feed. is your runoff ppm higher then your feed? if so, that prob could be a a adirect indicator that your feed is to strong. or evaporation could cause ppm increase as well, nutes stay behind as water evaps or plant is drinking more then feeding. to low of vpd could cause plants to consume more water, leaving nute behind. that nute behind changes the ph as things get heavy

sometimes the ph adjusters are absorbed as food an the overall ph changes.

your plants look great... bsafe

Phases

This makes me want to take a run at doing rock wool blocks.

I had a couple ok runs and then I had a couple that didn't turn out that great.

What ec do you feed at?

Krunchbubble what amount of GH Micro/Bloom do you feed to start and what do you max out at?

HGO what nutrients do you use? and whats your feed schedule?

thanks~

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Curious as to what kind of you can get from a cube on top of a Hugo. I'd try them if I could still get an eight ounce average per plant. Possible?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
This makes me want to take a run at doing rock wool blocks.

I had a couple ok runs and then I had a couple that didn't turn out that great.

What ec do you feed at?

Krunchbubble what amount of GH Micro/Bloom do you feed to start and what do you max out at?

HGO what nutrients do you use? and whats your feed schedule?

thanks~

Flowering
10ml micro
10ml bloom

Late flowering
10ml micro
15ml bloom

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can Put Hugo's on RW Slabs 2 to a Slab for bigger plants further spaced as well but 9 Hugo's to 120cm sq works nice for me. Brings 3-4 oz's a plant like that and hassle-free.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
You can Put Hugo's on RW Slabs 2 to a Slab for bigger plants further spaced as well but 9 Hugo's to 120cm sq works nice for me. Brings 3-4 oz's a plant like that and hassle-free.

Right on, I do four plants per 4'x4' in coco now and get 2 pounds per light. Starting to hate coco though and would be happy if I could transition to wool with no drop off if weight. Due to plant counts I can't grow more plants.

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Right on, I do four plants per 4'x4' in coco now and get 2 pounds per light. Starting to hate coco though and would be happy if I could transition to wool with no drop off if weight. Due to plant counts I can't grow more plants.

I fell out with coco somewhat too. But still loving top feed run to waste ATM as got sick of Re-Circ issues.. Usually 4 to a light mostly and 9 to a light at my low-height area. I have had good results with 60/40 coco/clay pebbles but I prefer 70% Mapito(loose RW and Foam aged) or if not Eurofoam(not aged) with 30% Diahydro or the Growrocks(hard to get here tho'). Never got on with the little Cellmax 1cm potting cubes very well though and hate washing pebbles.
But I used to use Hugo's with and without Slab's in the past to Bloom and also when progeny testing or doing selection as they have a degree of uniformity. I still use Hugo's for Parent plants now anyway,but they have gone up in price in UK and it sucks for value now. They are hassle free tho' and I had none of the calcium problems I get sometimes with Coco(only Coco) so I am considering Hugo's again now as I still Prop and Veg with Grodan mostly for Indoor and Its just Easy....and I aint as young as I was ;) If the coco pots you use are a similar volume to 6inch cubed then similar yields will be no probs methinks ;)

HL45

Veteran
Seems like most rec and commercial ops have been using rockwool lately, not really seeing any coco beds anymore. I've been waiting to try a round doing this myself. Nice pics!

gmanwho

Veteran
What strain is that with the big nug?

hgo posted some similar shots in the gg#4 thread the other day. they where that big!! but , i maybe wrong. they certainly have my attnetion.

well done..

thanks everyone! lets keep this conversation going.

yep, the huge one is gg4.

now for discussing the ph fluctuations possibly being due to too high of ec. i have suspected that, however i never go over 2.4 ec. i am trying to give them the highest levels i can without burning them. 90 to 100g per square foot average with 25 different strains.

GreenMtns

I'm a few runs into DTW with 4" cubes on top of Hugos. Nothing on the scale of what you cats have pictured though. Ran soil for a few years before that with great results, switched to ebb and flow with first hydro runs with GH nutes. No complaints on results, any issues were definitely operator error! Switched to rockwool from soil for cleanliness reasons, tired of cleaning soil off the floor. AN nutes the last two. Two part Sensi grow for veg and then two part Connoisseur for bloom. 7ml each of A and B per gallon is what I max out at,very happy with the results. I presoak the cubes in the nutrient solution strength they are getting when I transplant(stack) them. Strain/size/season affect watering times, currently feed 3 minutes in the morning and 1 minute in the afternoon. HighG, what are your Hugos sitting on that is holding them above the linoleum?

painter66

thanks everyone! lets keep this conversation going.

yep, the huge one is gg4.

now for discussing the ph fluctuations possibly being due to too high of ec. i have suspected that, however i never go over 2.4 ec. i am trying to give them the highest levels i can without burning them. 90 to 100g per square foot average with 25 different strains.

WTF.... that right there answers your question EC 2.4 is never needed in any medium ever. :tiphat:

2.4 ec x 700 is only 1680, 1200 depending on your ppm conversion. No burning has ever occoured, interesting fact though..... I just started feeding more times per day and am seeing less kf tge issues I was discussing

MJINC

2.4 ec x 700 is only 1680, 1200 depending on your ppm conversion. No burning has ever occoured, interesting fact though..... I just started feeding more times per day and am seeing less kf tge issues I was discussing

How many feeds a day are you giving them? I was told four was a good number just for short bursts so you get about 10-20% runoff.