What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pH indicator strips

2_2_2

Hello:

If I had a penny for every time I've time I've read 'went to check my pH, but my pH meter quit working' in a grow report or journal, I'd have about $1.20 by now.

I've weighed my options and am going to use pH indicator strips from here on out. (Maybe someday I'll pay for a quality, digital pH meter but that day is not today. Hope you understand.)

The indicator strips I have range from 5.5-8.0. I'll be aiming for 5.8 for some hempy girls.

My plan was to pH-test my tap water, add nutrients (GH 3-part), and pH-test again.

My question is: Can I eliminate one of the planned pH-tests? And if so, why?

boshuter

Hello:

If I had a penny for every time I've time I've read 'went to check my pH, but my pH meter quit working' in a grow report or journal, I'd have about $1.20 by now.

I've weighed my options and am going to use pH indicator strips from here on out. (Maybe someday I'll pay for a quality, digital pH meter but that day is not today. Hope you understand.)

The indicator strips I have range from 5.5-8.0. I'll be aiming for 5.8 for some hempy girls.

My plan was to pH-test my tap water, add nutrients (GH 3-part), and pH-test again.

My question is: Can I eliminate one of the planned pH-tests? And if so, why?

Unless you plan to adjust ph before you add your nutes, there is no reason to test the ph before adding nutes. That said, I've never trusted those strips, at least for me they are just too hard to read with any degree of accuracy. With PH being one of the most important things in hydro, I just can't see skimping on that. When I started my first grow I was on a very tight budget and it seemed like there was an endless list of things I needed. I bought the strips, but quickly realized they just didn't cut it, I ended up getting a cheap ph pen and it worked out fine, I've since bought a nice Hanna ph pen and don't regret the expense.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
The water here sucks as it is acid one time and basic the next. I pH all the water that goes into the organic soilless grow and pH after I mix the organic nutes. I got nute lock one time before I started pH on the water. I really have trouble reading the pH strips, and the swimming pool kit is a little better. I use a cheap pH pen and that gets me by.

amanda88

Strips give a basic reading like reading Ph of suspect water...?

for hempy do get the right tool, along with a 'back up'

correct operation practice and maintenance is essential

along with the brave that will throw an extra few dollars

to get that keeper!!

that said W-Mart etc etc are now selling RO water at about .37c a gallon !!!

..look for the vending machine out front

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Test your waters ph first, then you know what your source is, just so you know. After that when mixing nutrients you should only have to pH down or up to get to target after everything is mixed. Adding nutes always changes pH.

I use an aquarium tank tester kit. It works great for me. Its not pinpoint accurate but it reliably keeps me in the right range for coco. I shoot for 6 and squeek it by just under. Piss yellow.

LeeROI

Hydrofarm (Active Aqua) drops work great for me. I spent hundreds of dollars on Hanna pH pens and maintained them per best practices but they sucketh long term. The calibrated probe did give me confidence interpreting colors from the drops.

Piss yellow = good for hydro (coco) edit: pee from a square meal, not beer piss.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've read about PH testers going bad but never have experienced it. have had the same oakton phtestr2 with the same tip for 15 years and when I calibrate it, it is usually no more than .1 off. thats pretty darn good. I'm not sure if this is because of the quality of the oakton or i happen to have a six signma probe tip... dunno.

I won't use test strips on anything other than my hot tub....

some tips have to be stored in solution, but man i'm telling you mine dries out between every use. 15 years and still going

boshuter

i've read about PH testers going bad but never have experienced it. have had the same oakton phtestr2 with the same tip for 15 years and when I calibrate it, it is usually no more than .1 off. thats pretty darn good. I'm not sure if this is because of the quality of the oakton or i happen to have a six signma probe tip... dunno.

I won't use test strips on anything other than my hot tub....

some tips have to be stored in solution, but man i'm telling you mine dries out between every use. 15 years and still going

Same with my Milwaukee, got it five years ago and just store it in a measuring cup with no solution so it's dry between uses. I usually check calibration once a month (if I remember) and it's never of by more than .1 I just don't understand skimping on something like that, but maybe growing in dirt it isn't as important as in hydro.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I use an HM Digital PH-200 and always store it with the tip wet.
If not used for a month or more the calibration will be off about .13 too high. Battery drain?
Anyway, I recalibrate every use just to be sure, in six years I am on my second quart of calibration fluid, it does not take very much.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Good to know. Looks like thats where my next $$ goes. :) That and a quality ec meter. I still like my drops.

Andyo

Veteran
lab grade ph indicator solution

lab grade ph indicator solution

The grow kit companys supply piss weak indicator solution because goverment restriction to public.

I got the formula for the real stuff about 20 yrs ago
Im currently trying to find it again it has a strong obvious colour change. not goverment piss
its 2 parts ethanol to 1 part water and phenolphthalein,
methyl red,methyl orange,bromomethyl blue,and thymol blue .
ive not got exact weights just yet.

when i do have it ill put the step by step instructions on this thread

needs 0.000 scales ideally

I use it for last drips from a tilted pot @ 45 degs at 1 hour and 2 hours after flood n drain cycle
its an ideal indication of ph shift in hydroton or any other substrate for that matter.A

OldPhart

I would fix the water supply

I would fix the water supply

For around $100, just get an RO filter system. It will get the TDS low enough that when you add your nutes, you will get consistent PH results. If you don't want to trust a cheep meter, I personally like the PH indicator drops. In fact I use a cheep PH meter, and do random 'sanity' checks with the drops.