What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeking help with ppk cloner

gregor_mendel

This thread is to get help from anyone experienced with ppk cloners shown in the "
Ppk for a 6 plant limit" thread.

I sprouted seeds in one built as shown in that thread, using a 150W lamp.

About two weeks in, that changed to 1000W.

Things went well for a week or two. Then one began showing signs of drowning.

I cut the irrigation from full flood every two hours to every four hours.

It died after a week, and the others are following.

I raised the module to increase air gap, which just seemed too make things worse.

I am about to lose a whole order of seeds.

Please help.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey gregor, they are designed to be used for short periods to clone in or start a seed. but because of the cloth wick they will slow down and eventually clog. by the time you see roots anywhere at the sidewall they should be transplanted to the final container.

i think that for periods longer than a few weeks they need to be in regular ppk type containers with a media wick.

sorry you are having problems.

editing to say that perhaps you should pull the wicks altogether and treat them as conventional containers until you transplant.

av8or

I had to do the same thing. Pulling the wicks saved mine. What I ended up having my best success with is pictured below. Rapid rooters to start them and then I put them right into the full system, flooding every 90 minutes at 600ppm. Because they sit so high up in the media, they don't get overwatered, which is a plus. Once they reach a foot tall, I scoop them out and chop the root balls down to a grapefruit size bundle and put them in additional full size ppk sites. This is working really well and is saving me a lot of time and energy.

Attachments

• IMAG3629.jpg
    IMAG3629.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG3627.jpg
    IMAG3627.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 8

gregor_mendel

Pulling the wicks saved 2 of the 5 five I had.

I should say I am surprised that any of them lived.

I have a ridiculous amount of space, so moving forward, I will clone and start seeds in final containers.

I do like your cloner, though.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Pulling the wicks saved 2 of the 5 five I had.

I should say I am surprised that any of them lived.

I have a ridiculous amount of space, so moving forward, I will clone and start seeds in final containers.

I do like your cloner, though.

with the big containers in the veg area i was sticking them in right behind the rooted vegging plants to block some of the light and then scooping them out and moving them as needed. no nothing. no hormones. no rapid rooters or rockwool. i was using large cuts with 3 nodes.

but i rooted a bunch of tiny cuts recently also. i mean 2-3" with stems smaller than toothpicks. you could take hundreds of cuts from one plant like this.

with the big containers in the veg area i was sticking them in right behind the rooted vegging plants to block some of the light and then scooping them out and moving them as needed. no nothing. no hormones. no rapid rooters or rockwool. i was using large cuts with 3 nodes.

but i rooted a bunch of tiny cuts recently also. i mean 2-3" with stems smaller than toothpicks. you could take hundreds of cuts from one plant like this.
Hey Delta, got a question regarding the wick inside the PPK Cloner. You suggested 1"x8" pieces of thermolam to use as wick. Just wondering how much of that 8" length is actually inserted into the cup? Do i just slip like a quarter inch in and im good? or do i want to try to get the wick to be buried inside some perlite inside the cup?