What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Large scale PPK system

Desert Hydro

Veteran
on the end bulbs, always was a fan of the vert bulb in a parabolic hood. i just wish they made a de bulb that can burn vert.

u ever mess with the philips single ended cmh/cmd 860w ?

no, never have. im using cheap digital ballasts that i got from a storage unit auction. got 20 ballasts and 20 something light movers. sold all the light movers, made my money back and then some, and then kept the ballasts to use.

they arent dimmable and my guess is that they arent the most efficient.

is there any reason why DE bulbs cant be burned vertically or is it just a lack of reflector options? my buddy is quite the fabricator so if it can be done we could do it

gmanwho

Veteran
is there any reason why DE bulbs cant be burned vertically or is it just a lack of reflector options? my buddy is quite the fabricator so if it can be done we could do it

u can buy just the de socket an cord sets.

i dont know the exact reason why it is said they only run horizontal.

but if i had to guess it could be that heat rises. an the top of the bulb would burn hotter then the lower. making an uneven burn. the fillament is long an thin on a de, where as the se bulbs the filament is concentrated towards the end.

im sunday morning stoned an that makes sense atm.

killer deal on the storage auction. been to a few myself . im forever scouring ebay an craigs list for deals... just found 220sqft of mohagany 3/4 decking,im tonguing an grooving it an laying it in my camper. like $2.50sqft. great deal..

Desert Hydro

Veteran
im doing a ten hour round trip in two hours to save over a grand on equipment. getting five 10" can fan maxx fans and a power box 12 light power supply for 500 :)

Mr Blah

im doing a ten hour round trip in two hours to save over a grand on equipment. getting five 10" can fan maxx fans and a power box 12 light power supply for 500 :)
That sounds like something I would do.
Awesome find. 5-10" can fans are worth a hell of lot more than that. Wondering if they had mites in the room running through the fans.

Also I was so cheap once that I got some 12" duct work cheap but was a bit dirty. One day in an above ground pool and a hose, left hanging from the top of my deck to dry and it is shiny and good as new. :laughing:

Desert Hydro

Veteran
That sounds like something I would do.
Awesome find. 5-10" can fans are worth a hell of lot more than that. Wondering if they had mites in the room running through the fans.

Also I was so cheap once that I got some 12" duct work cheap but was a bit dirty. One day in an above ground pool and a hose, left hanging from the top of my deck to dry and it is shiny and good as new. :laughing:

turns out this was a house that had an illegal grow and the landlord found out and turned the guy in. he was stealing power and had destroyed his house. the guy had 40 air cooled lights in about a huge 2 story house and a bad ass industrial natural gas powered chiller system. he was selling the equipment dirt cheap to try and fix his house.

ended up getting 7 can fan max 10" and a 8" inline by advanced nutrients for 475 and a flipbox power box for 10 lights for 150. he gave me a bunch of random flanges for the fans and stuff too.

as far as the mites are concerned, im not sure about that. they hadnt been used in a while and had spider webs with spiders in them so i think they are good to go. im doing preventatives all throughout veg with the hopes of staying clean in flower. prevention in key, or so they say.

on a side note, i am getting my DE setup ordered tomorrow. should be able to get a nice comparison going between SE, DE and DIY COB in the PPK shortly.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
almost done! ran out of tees in town :( i bought out lowes and HD lol

Attachments

• IMG_20171027_174428.jpg
    IMG_20171027_174428.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 11

Desert Hydro

Veteran
finished for the most part. just need to plumb it into the res. plants should go in tomorrow morning! my DEVA 1000w is in the mail. cant wait to fire that bitch up!

Attachments

• IMG_20171030_141145.jpg
    IMG_20171030_141145.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 11

Desert Hydro

Veteran
mwahahahahaha! it fucking lives!!!! CO2 goes in soon! ordered the wrong type of controller

Attachments

• IMG_20171103_214041.jpg
    IMG_20171103_214041.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 10

Desert Hydro

Veteran
they are already flowering. didnt keep track of veg since they were going until the spot was ready and i was at someone elses mercy at that point. they also took longer because they were monstercropped, hence the crazy structure on most of them.

here they are as of last night. at about 2 weeks now

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171107_233337.jpg
    MVIMG_20171107_233337.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 9
  • MVIMG_20171107_233346.jpg
    MVIMG_20171107_233346.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 10
  • MVIMG_20171107_233353.jpg
    MVIMG_20171107_233353.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 13
  • MVIMG_20171107_233402.jpg
    MVIMG_20171107_233402.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 9

Speed of green

Those look like they will be interesting to cage up.

not sure how tall your ceilings are but i ended up using 8' tall outer cages for my ppk's. i have 4' cages like you but i made them smaller in diameter and they sit on top of the turface right on the inside lip of the 7gal tuff tub.

im at about the same stage as you day 20 flower.

gotta love the PPK those things are going to blow up in the next few weeks.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
im in 8 foot ceilings as well. gonna be a bit of a stretch, pun intended. gonna stretch trellis across the top of the cages and the cages will get suspended with rope ratchets, im just waiting for some ceiling grid clips to show up.

full shot from just now.

after seeing a bunch of side by sides with mammoth p im not all that convinced on its effectiveness. just gonna run the powdered bloom booster from veg+bloom. its cheap enough to not hurt me if it doesnt do anything lol. i'll get that ordered tonight and they will start immediately for the next 4 weeks.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171108_214933.jpg
    MVIMG_20171108_214933.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 9

Desert Hydro

Veteran
all my stuff comes in tomorrow so i will be able to suspend my cages, hook up my CO2 and set up my new kick ass light!

p0opstlnksal0t

no, never have. im using cheap digital ballasts that i got from a storage unit auction. got 20 ballasts and 20 something light movers. sold all the light movers, made my money back and then some, and then kept the ballasts to use.

they arent dimmable and my guess is that they arent the most efficient.

Nanolux has the Maxpar Single Ended (E25 base) bulb with a DE Arc Tube that can be hung vertically. 2100 umol!

p0opstlnksal0t

my next investment is to switch over to all DEvas when their new aircooled ones come out in a couple months

ya the new air cooled ones look sick, they have LED's coming too but im just not sold on LED price for performance yet.

the controller for them is pretty cool i think they have some relay control thingamajiggys coming soon too for plug and play with their RLC-1 controller