What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zimbabwe Bag Seed

squatty

I was just given a dozen or so seeds from a friend that just got back from Zimbabwe. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with plants from the region. On a map the country does not look far from Malawi!

thejact55

There are seeds you can buy based out of zambia and malawi, but havent seem any from 'babwe. Theyre probably more sativa like 12-16 week flowering. Id treat em like every other sativa, light on the nutes, plenty of headspace and let em rip.
Keep us updated.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi. If the farmers haven't introduced foreign hybrids yet, it could be a very good strain.

It should be a pure sativa with a electric soaring high. So it would be a rare treasure in these days of couchlocking hyped fancy hybrids.

You can look for info of a strain from there called Kariba Surprise:

https://www.icmag.com/modules/ICStrainguide/index.php?eop=showstrain&id=7

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4288660&postcount=6067

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4392978&postcount=6177

Reproduce it and keep pure strain seeds in the freezer. Later make all the experiment or hybrids you want. But please don't lose the purebreed landrace/heirloom strain or you will miss it with sadness and sorrow.

Good luck ;)

thejact55

Just to emphasize on ahorator's comment....
Make seeds. It could be something that may easilt be lost when hybrids arrive to their scene. Never know. Keep it pure and plentiful.

squatty

Thank you for the information everyone. Friend said they got some weed from a tour guide that was full of seeds. They were not happy to have the seeds. I was grateful to receive a few.

oldbootz

Veteran
Zim weed is very similar to neighboring countries. The country does move a lot of weed around for export by the poor rural communities. So the genetics do get mixed up a bit, just like in other places. There are pockets of western influence and pockets of pure sativa and feral weed (natural selection moves away from drug qualities).

The best sativa landrace cannabis in these kind of countries always comes from the remote villages that sow their own seed each year, with someone in the village that knows how to pull mutants, bad males, and plant only seeds from good strong females.

The remote villages usually have a few small fields of communal cannabis that they work on together. This is different to the poor homes closer to the tourist areas where each home grows a couple of plants behind the house to sell to tourists and they do not help each other much or share knowledge.

So its really a gamble what you got. It could be good :)

The landrace weed has medium - thin size leaf fingers (fatter than a oldtimer haze) which taper off slowly to a sharp point and with deep serrations. Long inter nodes, good branching, very vigorous growth, delay in onset of flowering (not quick to show sex). There are some with red stem but none that turn purple without cold weather (westernized cannabis sometimes shows purple hues on lower dying leaves as they yellow). Hope this helps!

burmese

kariba surprise-zimbabwe,, energetic later narcotic,, always wanted it for breed it with indicas //more info big book of buds//

squatty

That is some awesome information oldbootz. Thank you.

I'm not expecting to get much from my seeds because I don't have many to work with and I have no experience working with pure landrace plants. Another difficulty for me is that my climate is way too far North and I only grow outdoors.

If I wait seven more years I will be living at 19 degrees North! That would be a great place to try growing these!

therevverend

Veteran
Lucky you those seeds could turn into something interesting. The fact that your friend went to the trouble of saving the seeds and giving them to you is a good sign. Did he have any details of what the ganja was like? I'm sure he saw a few different kinds of ganja you should find out what reason he decided to keep these seeds.
Haven't heard a lot of descriptions of Zimbabwe ganja. It's 20 degrees S latitude so hopefully it isn't as long season as a true equatorial strain like Malawi or Congolese. It's a large country so it's hard to say, but if it's from the southern part of the country it could be more like South African. Maybe your friend has some info.
Be sure to have a proper set up to pop those babies I've seen it happen too many times when someone gets exotic seeds. They get excited and sprout them only to not have the space, time, or lights to fully flower them to their full potential. I don't think I've ever tried Zimbabwean ganja it is very exotic at least in North America.

squatty

Hey revverend. So here's the story. Friend's wife gave me the seeds saying her grown kids got the weed. The kids said the weed was not so good but that might be because they are not used to finding seeded weed. I do not know where in the country this all took place.

As I mentioned above, I'm tempted to wait a few years until I move back to Hawaii where I can grow these properly. I only grow outdoor in Oregon and these would never finish in time there.

oldbootz

Veteran
Just to give you a few hints at the structure, the seeds for these plants were obtained 150km from the Zimbabwe border in South Africa:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm also about to get some seeds from Zimbabwe that a friend is sending back. I'm excited to grow them out into big beautiful monsters B)

ahortator

Veteran
Just to give you a few hints at the structure, the seeds for these plants were obtained 150km from the Zimbabwe border in South Africa:

View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

Hi, they look really great!

As dagga has been recently decriminalized in South Africa, I have been doing some research. And I got contact with some SA people in a group from there. I am surprised because I met really very kind and lovely people there from SA.

Sadly, very few are growing such wonderful sativas they used to have there. It seems most weed grown there in already contaminated or replaced by modern fancy strains. As usually people value more expensive fancy seeds than those sativa bagseeds, but even bagseed is already contaminated with modern genetics.

Nevertheless looking for news about I have found some photos showing beautiful sativa appearance busted in Limpopo province bordering with Zimbabwe. Also in Pondoland.

https://www.limpopomirror.co.za/art...ive-suspects-caught-over-illegal-dagga-plants

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2016-04-13-groundup-report-cash-crops-poisoned-in-pondoland/

I really wonder why I see nobody growing or getting seeds straight from Lesotho! It is far enough from the tropics, and the country is so high (in altitude, but also on grass :biggrin: ) the weed must be fast flowering and pretty well adapted to cold and harsh weather.

Greetings.

Latest posts

Latest posts