What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I always fail at sprouting seeds

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
They always smell stinky as if they don't get enough air, and become anaerobic. This time I just soaked for 8 hours, drained and left in open container, and rinsed once a day. They still smelled, and then actually dried overnight, and all the little taproots had dried up.

Im using barley. Please share methods or insights, I don't know what Im doing wrong. Guess I will keep trying with lids on and off, maybe shorter initial soak, maybe a heatpad, maybe a thin layer on a baking sheet,

burmese

barley- info where i live is that presoaked 12hours, then wash out,//then 2x daily washout// + always sterile everything ,,,so first thing i would do is first clean seeds with peroxide water or quickly keep em to boiled water for seconds//it doesnt mean your seeds dont sprout,i dont really know, but try it, maybe....//
one time we cooked full seeded ganja milk for hour or so and waste was around kilo of seeds and almost every seed sproutet in thah waste plastic carry bag when opened later,, inspite of this fact i was teached that sprouting hormones quickly drop in around 40Celsius. //dont grow plants from this sprouts because weak ganja, but almost everything sprouts//

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
It is barley seed. Soaking 8 hours is to start germination as per most instructions out there.

thanks burmese, might give that a shot. I do rinse out everyday. should it be sealed and airtight in container or have air blowing on it ?

burmese

air blowing on it,,,so top it with geo-textil or some cloth, //attention for ecoli and different bio dangers,,hence the sterilization//

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
No, because I got a big bag of barley for cheap, and fresh sprouted has more enzymes then malted I thought so this is superior. I will figure it out one way or another. It just smells, not sure if that is normal. I will put wet paper towel over top, and put it on a heat mat

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is your water source contaminated with something that could be causing the rotting smells?
What are your germination temps?

It's been a while since I've sprouted barely. My method was to soak the grain for a few minutes to a couple hours then pour off the excess water into my compost then setting the lid on the jar for a couple days while sprouting. It worked every time without fault.

Is it possible you've got a sterile batch of seed?

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
No, they are sprouting. city tap water has chloramine and is clean source. I am doing a test today, after a 12 hour soak of 6 cups, I am splitting it into 3 different batches, one with lid on, one with a lid off, and one with wet paper towel on top.

I did have some costco corn kernels and only 20% germinated, so I better use up this sac of barely before it gets old!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was sprouting 10 year old barley when I was making those SSTs.

In future attempts... consider how nature germinates seed.
Most never get soaked and barely get wet in order to germ.

Barely is a dry land crop so it does not need a whole lot of water to get started.
My farmer hates the shit because it makes it difficult to get a decent price on wheat.