What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mengsk's 2018 Outdoor Grow Show

Mengsk

pqJETdT.jpg

o7JkWgL.jpg

I'm no Shcrews but I'll give it a shot
EZAbEPV.jpg

MQrm6su.jpg

k60zVEW.jpg

Last edited:

Mengsk

I didn't want to mess up my plants (no sunset herm in my garden let's get that straight!) but I know the night shots come out nice.

Pineapple Train Wreck
ciaNoUA.jpg

KC4jejZ.jpg

dFH4e3o.jpg

Jack Herer
pvEPo7R.jpg

mJNAs5N.jpg

CrushnYuba

I use the same brand alfalfa pellets. 12$ for 50lbs. I hope after you make that tea, you throw the spent alfalfa on your soil. Waste not want not.
Alfalfa is gold.

Mengsk

Honey Bear is as much as I know. There seems to be some info on a Honey Bear Kush from So. Oregon, and a Honey Bear Farms page in Los Angeles. This plant however I thought might be almost like an autoflower, and it is definitely purple the only plant here that has 100% purple buds from the beginning and now leaves (the Abacus CBD is also purple/black). In time it will be interesting to see how they all smoke and compare. Although I picked up plants grown from seed and clones from different sources, at different times throughout the season, meaning any comparison would not be level or apples to apples. I'm sure some are better than others but they weren't all started at the same time etc. If one plant has been vegging for four months then goes outside, and another small clone goes out a few weeks later, I can show pics but I'm not sure how fair it would be to say one is better than the other. In my experience the 100% dark purple varieties (not 'grapes' or 'purple') are pretty rare and aren't necessarily the strongest but are nice to have in the collection, more than a novelty I'd say. Cookies and Gelato and everything are great (not to names names), it's just nice to have like one lime green and one dark purple to switch, mix, etc. Always nice to have a rotation. At one point everyone wanted purple, then it was everywhere (the taste) and/or hype, hard to get, expensive. Looking at my current collection not in a bad way but it looks like nearly everything has been crossed with purple or blueberry at some point.

Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

Neat, I remember seeing something about Honey Bear somewhere or other when I worked in a weed store a few years ago. I tracked it down to being in state somewhere and wanted to get it into the shop, but didn't manage to. I agree about having purple stuff to play with being fun. You're growing flowers after all, they might as well be pretty different colors. I had one with magenta trichome stalks and otherwise completely green foliage which was amusing to gaze at while I was taking care of the plants, but I didn't get a real purple one this summer unless you count males.
Now that you mention it, Mendo Purps and/or Blueberry were in background 4 of the 6 regular strains I grew out this summer. I think Space Dude was in all of them though, Bubba Kush was in 5 of 6, Headband in 4.

Mengsk

Ordered this potassium bicarbonate a bit late but the plant(s) that could use it might be fine from just one treatment with 1/2 tsp baking soda, [~1/4 tsp gypsum] and ~1/4 tsp/gal coco/yucca (don't need Na in soil just like diet /rant).

I came into this thinking I'd look for some holy grail personal stash rarely seen fluffy sativa plant since those aren't easy to come across. Aside from that although I am pissed that I didn't buy the Tom Hill Haze when it was available recently at Real Gorilla Seeds there are so many indicas this is going to be exciting (Moroc, Mazar x Skunk I think, G13IX, more).

About nomenclature it isn't likely to me that a plant can have almost all of its traits retained except one in other words short wide early season and then sativa high/trichomes etc. The commercial grow operations established from black market and med/rec until now are based on breeding selectively for indoor yield because of black market costs and profit. I am skeptical about new naming lingo. It sounds like a ploy to keep the same exact "big bud" or whatever commercial strains made for being under lights and cash cropping.

You can say all the benefits of light dep but it isn't the same as letting a plant grow in the sun. Clones fine but they are likely bred for that fast flowering cycle too. I don't want to sound like a broken record but to me it's about bringing the plant outdoors to grow and live free and naturally. Not turning the great outdoors into a manipulated commercial grow op. Cookies and GG have changed things quite a bit, very different from those paint can sized colas from the 90s-00s.

Yield and quality do not go hand in hand they are what balance the see saw. There is no free lunch, the best taste or quality or desirable characteristics will always cost more. This is separate from methods used or the cost of input materials. In other words more better soil and/or better growing conditions = better product, is not the same thing as budget of grow materials being passed to the consumer. Even I am a customer with all of this for my own personal/medical use. Strain name will effect plant size and flower price but effectively it's the same idea cost vs yield.

To me indica is the look of the plant. Sativa is also the look of the plant. And flowering time. Hemp just means low thc. You could breed some stronger strains from hemp maybe pretty quickly but I would rather start with 2018-2019 breeding stock at least for some of the grow.

Growing these G13IX seeds and others will be a big learning experience I'm sure. It is always nice to hear and learn from other growers and breeders. I'm sure there is genetic variation and lots of potential in there even if inbred. For me the goal still is rare and unique strains as far removed from the commercial stuff of yesteryear as possible. Which always cycles back around to wanting a couple early reliable heavy yielders in the collection. Choice of selection variety is great and don't want to be short or worse empty handed at the end of the season.

Time to check on the plants :tiphat:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: