What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do some people not like femenized seeds?

beta

Veteran
Master Kush, Pot of Gold, AK-47 used to be one, Kali Mist, various hazes, etc.

There are tons of elite reg seed lines or elites that came from regular lines.

It is worth pointing out that none of these stood the test of time. None of these cultivars are regularly grown anymore.

insomniac_AU

Thanks for your reply :)
I have a green house 8x8 that I plan to grow my sativas in (2 plants) I also have a 3x3x6 tent with a 600W Meizhi for flower and a 2x2x3 tent with a 300W Meizhi for sprouting seedling to veging.

The bottom line for me, I lean towards indicas vice sativas. I simply do not like being wasted all day long. I went with recommendations for my ailment but at my age I could do without the THC. I love AC/DC BTW :)

I also know that I may have to move my plants (Sats) the larger tent before I can place them in the greenhouse (Gc Tw) while growing (Dt and GDP) in the main tent.

Depending how the grow goes and the yield, I might use my main tent into a "bordello" LOL That is my plan anyway, becoming self sufficient.

Cloning is definitely an option on my radar, but we are ltd to 4 plants. If I can dial in my grow to as close to 1g/w I will be happy. An oz lasts me a month or more. Turning all bud into oral applications go a long way, even with a yield of 0.5g/w

So starting out I believe in KISSING as much as possible :) Take care...
With your set up you should easily be able to clone. I just have one small cloning tray with a lid that I sit in the side of my veg chamber.

I take my cuttings about 10 days before harvest. I know that's cutting it fine if things go wrong but I find if I do it any earlier the plants get too large by the time they are ready to flip. I always take extra clones as a precaution. Because of this the clones are only a pain in the veg chamber for a couple of weeks. After that the new girls go in the tent to flower and the clones start veging and the cycle repeats.

Cloning is the best thing to do because if you find a particular plant that you really enjoyed you can keep growing it over and over.

green-genes77

Veteran
I don't have strong feelings either way about them but they don't make sense for what I'm trying to do with my growing career.

OTOH the state of the art of fem seed production has come a long way in the last decade, and there are some great products to be found.

insomniac_AU

I forgot to say Switcher the other vitally important thing with cloning is the time factor. Growing from seed takes forever cloning saves a lot of time and allows me to get fully veged plants ready to flower from scratch in 2 months.
Using this method allows me to get 12-20 ounces every 2 months year round. You should have no problem supplying your own needs with what you have.

Easy7

Veteran
I could get very large and mature plants in 2 months from seed. A lot depends on the amount of light. Not for maturity, but 2 months is plenty of time. That's almost what we get for outdoor veg time here. From mothers day till stretch the last week of July (when stretch starts for most).

green404

I would like to know why some people don't like femenized seeds

Most of the hate on feminized seeds I have heard all goes back to the finer points of genetics. If you have a small grow and just want some flowers none of that matters.

Feminized seeds are very practical.

Many places have plant counts you need to stay in to be legal. Most people do not want to kill 50% of 6 plants because they are male, especially outdoors with one season.

Indoors space and light are costly you do not want to waste them on male plants.

insomniac_AU

I could get very large and mature plants in 2 months from seed. A lot depends on the amount of light. Not for maturity, but 2 months is plenty of time. That's almost what we get for outdoor veg time here. From mothers day till stretch the last week of July (when stretch starts for most).

Yeah sorry I was talking about my own situation. In my cupboard under 2 CFLs things don't happen fast. Not only do I have to worry about getting busted but I also have to worry about how much power I use. It's expensive here.

It is worth pointing out that none of these stood the test of time. None of these cultivars are regularly grown anymore.

Maybe not Master Kush or POG, but I found them to be good and would grow them if I could.

People still grow the hazes, pretty sure at least one person has the Cherry AK pheno.

The main one I forgot is Blueberry. Definitely an elite to some and people still grow regular seeds trying to find that special Blueberry.

There are many more examples. Just because many people love the flavor of the month OG, GG#4, GSC, etc. doesn’t mean no one grows regular seeds or you can’t find killer plants in reg seeds.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Most of the hate on feminized seeds I have heard all goes back to the finer points of genetics. If you have a small grow and just want some flowers none of that matters.

Feminized seeds are very practical.

Many places have plant counts you need to stay in to be legal. Most people do not want to kill 50% of 6 plants because they are male, especially outdoors with one season.

Indoors space and light are costly you do not want to waste them on male plants.
Exactly! :tiphat:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
With your set up you should easily be able to clone. I just have one small cloning tray with a lid that I sit in the side of my veg chamber.
Yup! It is all about timing :) 1st I want my medicine (1st grow). Then I was gifted an auto Nl, which will be my second grow.

I take my cuttings about 10 days before harvest. I know that's cutting it fine if things go wrong but I find if I do it any earlier the plants get too large by the time they are ready to flip. I always take extra clones as a precaution. Because of this the clones are only a pain in the veg chamber for a couple of weeks. After that the new girls go in the tent to flower and the clones start veging and the cycle repeats.
Now that answered one of my Qs. MOst grows I have seen sacrifice one plant (usually the best) and take clones continuously on her (vegging) and flowered it with the rest. Can you say ugly LOL but, I do understand why. I like your method better :)

Cloning is the best thing to do because if you find a particular plant that you really enjoyed you can keep growing it over and over.
Yup!

beta

Veteran
Maybe not Master Kush or POG, but I found them to be good and would grow them if I could.

People still grow the hazes, pretty sure at least one person has the Cherry AK pheno.

I said legendary, not 'good'. :p

The main one I forgot is Blueberry. Definitely an elite to some and people still grow regular seeds trying to find that special Blueberry.

I have never once had a legendary Blueberry. There isn't a legendary blueberry cut that's commonly passed around, as far as I know. What Blueberry is notorious for is people buying seeds, growing them, and being disappointed.

There are many more examples. Just because many people love the flavor of the month OG, GG#4, GSC, etc. doesn’t mean no one grows regular seeds or you can’t find killer plants in reg seeds.

OG, GG#4, GSC, SD, etc are not 'flavors of the month'. They are clearly legendary cultivars that have and will continue to withstand the test of time. They will continue to be commonly found in gardens all over the world unless something better comes along.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Yeah sorry I was talking about my own situation. In my cupboard under 2 CFLs things don't happen fast. Not only do I have to worry about getting busted but I also have to worry about how much power I use. It's expensive here.
... a little birdie told me you would benefit with a 300w LED, vice CFLs, in your closet. I started my tomato plants under full spectrum CFLs. I started my grow with the Meizhi. Can I say night and day. I never grew tomatoes from seed before but, I know a "leggy" plant when I see one. My plants are all squat (2 wk seedlings) xplanted in 3gal air pots to veg for the next 4-6. Wk1 of veg started yesterday (3rd set of leaves just showing).

I hear you wrt cost and your set up seems to work and you have it dialed in pretty close, with a VG yield. Perhaps a better light might screw up your timing.

insomniac_AU

... a little birdie told me you would benefit with a 300w LED, vice CFLs, in your closet. I started my tomato plants under full spectrum CFLs. I started my grow with the Meizhi. Can I say night and day. I never grew tomatoes from seed before but, I know a "leggy" plant when I see one. My plants are all squat (2 wk seedlings) xplanted in 3gal air pots to veg for the next 4-6. Wk1 of veg started yesterday (3rd set of leaves just showing).

I hear you wrt cost and your set up seems to work and you have it dialed in pretty close, with a VG yield. Perhaps a better light might screw up your timing.

Yes that's right it would screw my timing. I don't want faster growth because the way it is they are just about perfect size when I need them.

green-genes77

Veteran

Wisdom. There are tons of Jack Herer coming out of Southern Oregon every year and AK is still a mainstay for some indoor growers in the PNW. Hell, Skunk #1 is a common enough product that someone must be blowing it up with it.

At some point the Chem/Kush craze will end, but that won't mean some of those plants are any less timeless.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
If you are afraid of plants turning hermaphrodite from stress you need to get a grip on how to grow, regular or femenized seed...

Feminized seeds will also have hybrid vigor if the parents are unrelated.

Regular seeds will not have hybrid vigor if the plants are related.

Hybrid vigor has nothing to do with regular vs feminized. It has everything to do with how related the parents are.

a) males are possible in fem lines

^TRUTH

green-genes77

Veteran
I said legendary, not 'good'. :p

I have never once had a legendary Blueberry. There isn't a legendary blueberry cut that's commonly passed around, as far as I know. What Blueberry is notorious for is people buying seeds, growing them, and being disappointed.

OG, GG#4, GSC, SD, etc are not 'flavors of the month'. They are clearly legendary cultivars that have and will continue to withstand the test of time. They will continue to be commonly found in gardens all over the world unless something better comes along.

This is exactly what people have said about innumerable strains over the years. There will be something better than Glue and Cookies lol. There already may be depending on what you're looking for.

Yeah, IMO Master Kush and POG were better than OG. I like the highs from all of those about the same, but I don’t really like the lemony taste from the OGs I’ve had.

Blueberry is definitely an elite IMO.

Don’t get me wrong, I like OG, GG#4, and GSC.

It’s all subjective opinion though...

djimb

Veteran
As has been said before, I think the choice between fem and reg seeds comes down to what your priorities are.

If you're just looking to grow some bud and maybe find a great female to clone, then fems from a reputable breeder might be exactly what you're looking for.

The upside is that you can count on (nearly) all female plants, so in theory, you can start only as many seeds as you need to fill your space.

Potential downsides are that you're at the mercy of the breeder when it comes to the quality of what's available to you. Even if you keep clones, catastrophes happen. There are tons of people on here who talk about amazing clones that they've lost for one reason or another. In fact, in regards to the idea that ak-47 has fallen out of favor, I don't know the story, but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it isn't as good as it used to be is that the original parents of the cross were lost.

With fems you can't be self sufficient without investing time or money into making/buying colloidal silver or keeping reagents around to make STS. Once you get through the seeds you bought, you have to buy more. It forces you to be a consumer. A lot of people are perfectly happy to operate that way, and that's fine.

With reg seeds, you might have to start more seeds than you plan to grow out, and you might have to spend more time looking over your plants (personally, i love doing this anyway) to check preflowers and segregate or cull any males. If you're growing guerilla or are otherwise a set it and forget it type, this could be problematic, and you might end up with seeds in your bud if you're not on the ball.

However, having the option to make your own seed can enable you to maintain your own seed lines and keep back ups in the case of losing clones. Just look at Vermontman's Oaxaca line. Dude's maintained it for close to 40 years. That's something that you absolutely can't buy anywhere.

Also, if you have to take a break from growing, you can be sure you'll be able to grow your favorite varieties when you can start again. Seed lasts upwards of 10 years when properly stored.

You can make your own selections, to increase the chances that you'll love what you grow, and for me, I find a great sense of satisfaction in growing seed that I made.

Finally, most of the varieties I'm personally interested in aren't elite cuts or flavor of month hybrids. It's true that a lot of those came from stress induced feminised bagseed, and are only available as S1s. I'm drawn to landraces, and with the exception Ace and Cannabiogen's highly worked lines, they're only available as regs.