What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organics for mites

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Thanks Ribsauce. I just had no idea how much a 1/4 cup of flowers might be. I've got a few mites still hanging around and i'm going to use this mix on them also. I'll report back with my results.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I found mild infestations of both thrips and mites at the same time a few months ago. I applied spinosad 2x at 10-day intervals and Safer's Soap 2x week for 3 weeks and haven't seen a single critter since.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I found mild infestations of both thrips and mites at the same time a few months ago. I applied spinosad 2x at 10-day intervals and Safer's Soap 2x week for 3 weeks and haven't seen a single critter since.
Dignan

I've used a version of Spinosad that's in a concentrated form. 16 oz. = 8 gallons and costs around $18.00

Our vet prescribed a very effective product for killing fleas in animals - an oral form of Spinosad called Comfortis from Eli Lilli Co. - 1 tablet each month is all it takes. It runs about $100.00 for 6 tablets or just less than $17.00 per month.

Well worth it from our experience. Better than Avid and the other 'poison on the back of the neck' products out there, IMHO

CC

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Im fighting mites in the veg section with Spinosad..looks like im on top of em, but i spray vigilantly every day. Let up for a week, and the fuckers will return. Just mixed up a batch of lavender tea, so in 48 hours we shall see. Props to Jay for the recipe, and to Rib for letting us know about his experience with this...ima definately freeze the last of my lavender flowers for later use, if this really works that well.

Stay Safe

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Well well well...

I sprayed the girls thoroughly yesterday with the lavender solution, and i just got done checking them out today...impressive. I found one (1) living spidermite...the rest was carcasses and eggs. I think ill spray every day for like 10 days to make sure i kill everything. I want to add that i had been on top of these damn mites using spinosad, but it definately looks like this lavender solution works...Kudos Jay!!!!
Now im wondering how long i can store it...i made about a liter of lavender water, and im not gonna use it all...so can i put it in the fridge or maybe freeze it and thaw some whenever i need it?

Stay Safe

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wouldnt spray every day there is no need, try every 4-5 days.

i would also just make fresh extract when you need it( specially if you have your own lavender plant), and use the leftovers on plants around the house. not only does it have pest control properties its also a fertilizer.

oh also you dont need to freeze the flowers, drying them slowly and putting them in jars like you would cannabis is the best storage practice.

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
i wouldnt spray every day there is no need, try every 4-5 days.

i would also just make fresh extract when you need it( specially if you have your own lavender plant), and use the leftovers on plants around the house. not only does it have pest control properties its also a fertilizer.

oh also you dont need to freeze the flowers, drying them slowly and putting them in jars like you would cannabis is the best storage practice.

Hey Jay and thanks for replying..
OK ill try every 4 days then..and yea i know fresh extract is best, but i just thought that it would be better than throwing it out..ill pass some out to friends tho. About freezing the flowers, i had an idea that it would make sure that all the goodness would still be present when i wanted to brew a batch..but if drying them is sufficient, then thats what ill do...
Ill spray em down again tomorrow and post results as we go.

Stay Safe

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Jay and thanks for replying..
OK ill try every 4 days then..and yea i know fresh extract is best, but i just thought that it would be better than throwing it out..ill pass some out to friends tho.

you dont have to throw it out, pretty much any plant will love this stuff.

About freezing the flowers, i had an idea that it would make sure that all the goodness would still be present when i wanted to brew a batch..but if drying them is sufficient, then thats what ill do...
Ill spray em down again tomorrow and post results as we go.

well your right, freezing would work fine. dry storing just takes no electricity really.

the best thing is just to go buy a 6-8$ lavender plant, and have the stuff whenever you want. take what you need when you need it.

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
you dont have to throw it out, pretty much any plant will love this stuff.

well your right, freezing would work fine. dry storing just takes no electricity really.

the best thing is just to go buy a 6-8$ lavender plant, and have the stuff whenever you want. take what you need when you need it.

And again...your right..;)

Stay Safe

Dorje113

If you're within a few weeks of harvest try Coco Wet organic wetting agent with some liquid kelp on the undersides of the leaves. It's not as effective as other methods mentioned here, IMO but worth trying if you are approaching harvest and need to knock them back.

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Nice Dorje113..

Jay..how about in flower..im in week 6 and just spotted a few on a cpl of the flowering girls....or will it make my bud taste and smell like lavender?

Stay Safe

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
soak only for 24 hours and very lightly spray problem areas. i have used this on food and have eaten it the same day it was used with no problems so you should be more than good. lavender is not a toxic plant by any means.

now if you left the extract to sit for a few weeks, i would advise against it. those are for soil drenches or used in veg.

MrFista

Veteran
I'm really keen to try the lavender, but will further support that spinosad is effective against thrip. Very effective. One application is all I've ever needed though the bottle says to do a few. My concern is the effect on beneficials. It is friendlier than most products and breaks down fast. Has anyone used these oils around bees and beetles to see the effect?

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Thanks a bunch man..really appreciate it.
Soil drench....tell me more please..

Stay Safe

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ps - my major problem with bugs is aphids, always with the aphids - any ideas you folk?

we use beneficial insects mostly, but simply spraying them off the plant with water works. as well as nettle tea.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Soil drench....tell me more please..

just let it soak for a week or two instead of a few days. strain out the material, then dilute 1:10-1:20 and apply to the soil as you would a tea.

anyone battling root aphids right now? i wonder what the outcome would be with lavender tea vs. root aphids.

ok, thinking outside the box here....planting lavender in the pot with the pot?

better for outdoor growing imo, space is limited in a pot. i have all kinds of herbs growing under my plants in the growing season. nettles, yarrow, chamomile, lemon balm, borage, catnip, sage, lol the list goes on. diversity is key!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
There is a commercial insecticide called EcoTrol which is derived from rosemary and one of the stronger mints (peppermint I believe) and there are several studies available on the web which shows its performance vs. chemical products. And it definitely is a viable option.

So you could use fresh rosemary leaves which are easily available during the holiday season and I've read recipes that use a wide range of mints - peppermint, spearmint, marjoram, basil, oregano and probably some others I can't recall.

The commercial products use rosemary oil @ 5% and there is some kind of dilution rate for application. Rosemary oil is available and easy to source but it runs about $9.00 per ounce.

FYI

CC

Latest posts

Latest posts