What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what's this inside the collection chamber?

atomicponderer

I have a mystery for you all. Lately these things have been showing up in the honey pot. Below I have some potato quality pictures of one of them.

Notes:
  • CLS
  • ~3.5lbs of material in spool/column.
  • ~12lbs of n-butane top washed through
  • Dump valve left open from start to finish
  • Room temperature n-butane was used to extract
  • No dewax jacket/sleeve

Object behavior:
  1. Usually multiple objects like this can be seen. Sometimes they're very small and combine with each other.
  2. Floats on top of liquid butane solution
  3. Creates a depression when it sits on the top layer of the solution, which causes nearby like objects to be absorbed into it if they get too close.
  4. Phobic/repelled by small bubbles
  5. Prone to disappear in an instant if they get surrounded by lots of bubbles. (would love a high speed camera for this)
  6. Usually translucent yellow in color, but I've seen them clear without a color.
  7. I believe they're first formed through drips coming from the material column.

Any guesses as to what they are? I have some a couple ideas but I'm looking to see what some other minds bring to the field.

Thank you for reading :tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_20170626_143807.jpg
    IMG_20170626_143807.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20170626_143809.jpg
    IMG_20170626_143809.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20170626_143811.jpg
    IMG_20170626_143811.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20170626_143813.jpg
    IMG_20170626_143813.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 12

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like ice from the water and super chilling created by evaporating under vacuum.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys. Note, the chamber is never reaches vacuum during this phenomena.

So basically this is something that wouldn't happen if the spool and solvent was subzero?

I checked the tank a few days ago for water and found none.

If your puddle is bubbling, you are creating refrigeration from the heat of vaporization.

Subzero extraction certainly reduces the amount of available water and we don't have extraction issues, but still pick up water in the system and have to use a filter drier to maintain the LPG supply.