What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

African weeds: from South Africa and Congo

Nico Farmer

Hi everybody!

I want to share my love of African's weed.

Power plant 2005

picture.php

Durban Poison 2006

picture.php

And some old Congo seeds I have since 1999/2000

picture.php

Bless all

Nico Farmer

Africa and Cannabis: History

The cultural use of cannabis is widespread throughout Africa. Although the plant does not originate from Africa, several religious, medical and recreational traditions where cannabis is smoked have progressed in Africa since its arrival more than six centuries ago.

Apart from Egypt, where cannabis has been cultivated for over a thousand years as a result of the influence of India and Persia, the first archaeological evidence of the presence of cannabis in central and southern parts of Africa Dates back to the fourteenth-century Ethiopia where two ceramic pipe stoves containing traces of cannabis were discovered.

The researchers hypothesized that because cannabis was banned in Egypt in the third century AD and was punishable by religious law and judicial authorities, several Muslim communities who wished to continue cultivating Cannabis moved south and brought cannabis to Ethiopia. The researchers also believe that later, around 1500 AD, the fully developed trade routes between Arabia, Turkey, India and Persia and the east coast of Africa enabled Arab traders to bring Cannabis to the more southern parts of Africa.

Although Arab traders and North Africans brought cannabis to Central and Southern Africa, they did not import techniques of psychotropic use of cannabis. For the Hottentot tribe of the Cape of Good Hope, "the simple but effective practice of throwing hemp plants on the burning coals of a fire and making" collective inhalation "seems to have been a popular technique at first".

The king of another tribe called the Kafirs, also from Cape of Good Hope, administered cannabis in drinks very similar to the Indian "bangue". "The people whom the chief wanted to entertain were offered food and intoxicating spirits which they had to drink, in spite of their stomachs, so as not to offend the king. "

Later, in 1705, the Hottentots learned the art of smoking. The habit of smoking cannabis that many tribes called "dagga" spread very quickly from tribe to tribe. The main method of smoking the dagga was learned by the tribes of central and southern Africa as part of their commercial relations with the nomadic hunters of the San tribe.
"The hunters were intoxicated by the smoke and in exchange for tobacco and dagga they gave feathers, game and other products from hunting. Learning the art of smoking dagga has transformed African culture and residents have ceased to chew it to start smoking and they have perfected the dagga consumption techniques.
The inhabitants began to make several different pipes using gourds, bamboo stalks and coconut bowls. When the habit of smoking cannabis reached the northern regions of Africa, "it was the northern Africans who developed the water pipe which refreshed and to a certain extent purified the smoke".
The tribes of North Africa gave cannabis the name kif in this form.
There are several examples of how cannabis has marked various important symbols in African tribes.
In North Africa, "music, literature and even some aspects of architecture have evolved with an appreciation influenced by cannabis. In some houses, there are even rooms reserved for the kif where the members of the family come together to sing, dance, tell stories based on ancient cultural traditions ".

A researcher who visited the Congo discovered, around 1888, that the king of the tribe of the Balubas who had conquered several tribes of the surroundings following the same ritual,
He ordered all the ancient idols and fetishes of the conquered territories to be publicly burned. He realized that a multiplicity of tribal gods could not serve as a unifying force and so he acted to solidify his power and subject his subjects to a single "nation" by replacing the old idols with a new idol more Powerful: cannabis!
Thus, for the Balubas tribe, cannabis has assumed ritual significance on festive and state days and as a pastime in the evening.

Cannabis was also part of the religious and magical beliefs of many African tribes. The bashilenge was a religious cult established by several small clubs of hemp smokers who had their own plot of land to cultivate hemp.

Several tribes like the Zulus and the Sothos were known to smoke cannabis before going to war. "The young Zulu warriors, in particular, smoked the dagga to the point of becoming drug addicts, and under the euphoria of drugs, they were capable of braving the greatest dangers." Some historians also believe that the Zulus were under the effect of the dagga when they attacked the Dutch in the Battle of Blood River in 1838.
Moreover, the Sothos used the dagga to reinforce their spirit before an assault.

Except for North Africa, where "cannabis was neither implanted nor accepted before the end of the Second World War", African tribes from the rest of the continent also used cannabis in practice Of traditional folk medicine. "The plant was used as a remedy for snake bites (Hottentots) to facilitate childbirth (Sotho) and Africans from Rhodesia used it as a remedy for anthrax, malaria, bilious hemoglobinuric fever, poisoning Blood and dysentery. It was also well known to relieve the symptoms of asthma. "

Africa has become a country of cannabis cultivation long before the arrival of Europeans. Despite attempts by the latter to ban the psychotropic use of cannabis, it has continued to be firmly rooted in the cultures of several African tribes.

Sources:

Nikolaas J. Van Der Merwe. « Cannabis Smoking in 13th-14th Century Ethiopia: Chemical Evidence ». In Cannabis and Culture. Ed. Vera Rubin. Chicago : Mouton Publishers, 1975.
Brian M. Du Toit. « Dagga: Cannabis Sativa in Southern Africa ». Cannabis and Culture. Ed. Vera Rubin. Chicago : Mouton Publishers, 1975.
William A. Emboden Jr. « Ritual Use of Cannabis Sativa L ». Flesh of the Gods. Ed. Peter T. Furst. New York : Praeger Publishers, 1972,
Ibid., p. 227 (Citation du compositeur et écrivain Paul Bowles).
A.T. Bryant. The Zulu People, cité dans T. James, « Dagga: A Review of Fact and Fancy », Medical Journal 44 (1970).
Michael Aldrich. « Medicinal Characteristics of Cannabis ». Ed. Mary Lynn Mathre. Cannabis in Medical Practice. North Carolina : McFarland & Company Publishers, 1997.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Salut Nico! Belles plantes merci pour les tofs!
Et très intéressante cette Congo vibes, a legend African bomb right there imo! Repro project? :)

About the history of cannabis in Africa the spread at first could came from the South a long long time ago in my opinion. With Austronesians from South Asia to Madagascar i mean. But who knows maybe it is the reverse a long long time before?
dance013.gif

By knowing that Khoi San people have the oldest Y-chromosome haplogroup of all living humans, Haplogroup A.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4816080&postcount=22

So Congo weed = hybrid from South Afro spread x North Afro spread?

Anyway true pure South Africans have special energic effects that North African doesn't really have...

Vibes bonne suite man!

Nico Farmer

Hi Roms!

Thanks, yes, repro project in a few months :)

I have friends from Madagascar and a part of my family is from Sénégal, I hope to recover again some goods seeds!!

I don t know if Congo is an hybrid from South Afro spread x North Afro spread but I think it s possible...

Roms Citation:

Anyway true pure South Africans have special energic effects that North African doesn't really have...

I agree Bro!

Bless up

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Although Arab traders and North Africans brought cannabis to Central and Southern Africa,
When the habit of smoking cannabis reached the northern regions of Africa, "it was the northern Africans who developed the water pipe which refreshed and to a certain extent purified the smoke".
In North Africa, "music, literature and even some aspects of architecture have evolved with an appreciation influenced by cannabis. In some houses, there are even rooms reserved for the kif where the members of the family come together to sing, dance, tell stories based on ancient cultural traditions ".
Except for North Africa, where "cannabis was neither implanted nor accepted before the end of the Second World War"
Nice post but this seems odd...How can arab traders would bring cannabis all over Africa and have strong influence from it onto their own culture yet it was not implanted there before WW2 ended?

here you can find other opinion/facts about weed and tobacco in Africa:https://africanhistory.oxfordre.com/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780190277734.001.0001/acrefore-9780190277734-e-44

Nico Farmer

Some forgotten bag seeds I found yesterday :)
I thank it was an old energy drink box, but no ;)

picture.php

Some of them are not ok and won t pop, but there are good seeds in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts