What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mk IV A Phoenix Terpenator

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey GW, did you change the valve setup for the dip tube line?
On the pics of your first MKIV phoenix you had a valve on top of the sight glass but on the latest setup you don't.
There is one at the top of the column, wouldn't you want one in both locations?

The valve location changes and extra fittings and valves, allow the columns to be back flushed after dumping, or flooded from either direction.

My god those both look incredible. Has the part which replaces the 2"-4" concentric reducer been specially machined? What is the connection/weld like below either sight glass?

Also, what do you mean by back flushed?

Thanks GW, keep up the top notch work.

I found the end cap reducers on glacier, awesome. Did you send in plans for these along with those of the injection tee for the MKIII? I also notice some 6" caps with pre-drilled holes...this is great.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My god those both look incredible. Has the part which replaces the 2"-4" concentric reducer been specially machined? What is the connection/weld like below either sight glass?

Also, what do you mean by back flushed?

Thanks GW, keep up the top notch work.

Called an end cap reducer and is an off the shelf part.

One sight glass sits on a triclamp weld ferrule and the other on a 1 1/2" Triclamp X 1/2" FNPT fitting that screws on the vent down sprew.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HA HA! I found the end cap reducers on glacier, awesome. Did you send in plans for these along with those of the injection tee for the MKIII? I also notice some 6" caps with pre-drilled holes...this is great.

Actually we gave them prints for Chinese bids and they've taken it on themselves to start offering the parts direct.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
was it any easier getting it from China than glacier tanks?

Actually, quite a bit more involved because of language barriers, but worth it overall. It feels like they may use a translation program instead of someone fluent in English.

That makes price negotiation more difficult, and as well as resolving technical issues. Some funnies too, if your sense of humor is still working.

Not sure how they would be on onesy, twosies, because I was negotiating for WolfWurx's production source, so was finally able to get the volume discount I thought it would take to keep them competitive.

Not sure how they choose prices, but they have little relationship to what things cost here. At least one of the first round of bidding prices was cheaper here, than from them in China.

The biggest price advantage is on manufactured parts, because their labor is so cheap. Stainless is expensive anywhere.

Overall quality was very good, with a wide tolerance on threaded parts. One 2" elbow casting had a core failure in the gasket groove, so was highly polished scrap as received.

They used sales personnel with a good attitude, and do want your business, so if you hang in there, you can usually hammer things out.

Freight damage was a big issue, so after receiving the hammered prototypes, I upgraded WolfWurx's packing requirements and since the weight is orders of magnitude higher on the production lots, had them quoted sea freight rather than air and asked for a quote on marine insurance.

Count was one lid short, but they cheerfully offered correction of all issues on next order.

All I know! Fortunately, I'm only a pro bono consultant, so I won't be doing the production ordering and keeping things operating smoothly. Hee, hee, hee................

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you using 2 recovery pumps on the pot and 1 on the column?

Both the Mk IV and the Mk V will accept three pumps configured the way you note, or run from one pump. The reason they are configured that way, is to allow you to run multiple small pumps, or one large one.

The current Mk IV and V prototypes are running two pumps and the two in the pipe line are automated commercial machines running single Haskel pneumatics, but looking at options for the second pump to scavenge the columns.

The automated Mk VI design currently calls for dual Haskel pneumatics. Not something someone will be running in a garage, because of the air usage, but designed to be low maintenance, as well as put smiles on Fire Marshal's faces and keep six columns and four pots turning around the clock.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
did you change the down tube from 3/8 to 1/2"?

Edit

I saw on the SPR website that you're necking down the 1/2 FNPT to 3/8" to catch the down tube compression fitting with a bushing. The only problem I'm having is finding are finding the Tri Clamp to Pipe thread adapters. Specifically 2" TC -> 1/2 FNPT that goes on the top of the column and 1.5" TC -> 1/2 FNPT that is supposed to catch the sight glass on the vent tube. Maybe Glacier just doesn't have it on their site.

Big ups and thanks for taking the time to give direct support.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
So here's another question.

The thermocouple that goes down through the sight glass on the vapor port, do you have the compression fitting on the sheath of the thermocouple?

Is this : http://www.omega.com/pptst/ICIN.html , a good one to get? Comes in a 1/4" diameter 304 SS Sheath so I figured that would go through the 1.5" / 1/4 NPT compression fitting that sits on top of the sight glass with the compression fitting clamped to it and the probe tip down in the butane pool? Figure I need 24" to get through the sight glass, recovery tree, past the 1.5x1 ferrule and down in to the oil pool

Then you wire the thermocouple out to a temperature display?

Is there a way to wire that thermocouple to a PID controller that operates a heat mat that will keep the oil pool evaporating?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
did you change the down tube from 3/8 to 1/2"?

Edit

I saw on the SPR website that you're necking down the 1/2 FNPT to 3/8" to catch the down tube compression fitting with a bushing. The only problem I'm having is finding are finding the Tri Clamp to Pipe thread adapters. Specifically 2" TC -> 1/2 FNPT that goes on the top of the column and 1.5" TC -> 1/2 FNPT that is supposed to catch the sight glass on the vent tube. Maybe Glacier just doesn't have it on their site.

Big ups and thanks for taking the time to give direct support.

They don't, we made ours and now get them from China. As RB notes, check Brewer's Hardware.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So here's another question.

The thermocouple that goes down through the sight glass on the vapor port, do you have the compression fitting on the sheath of the thermocouple?

Is this : http://www.omega.com/pptst/ICIN.html , a good one to get? Comes in a 1/4" diameter 304 SS Sheath so I figured that would go through the 1.5" / 1/4 NPT compression fitting that sits on top of the sight glass with the compression fitting clamped to it and the probe tip down in the butane pool? Figure I need 24" to get through the sight glass, recovery tree, past the 1.5x1 ferrule and down in to the oil pool

Then you wire the thermocouple out to a temperature display?

Is there a way to wire that thermocouple to a PID controller that operates a heat mat that will keep the oil pool evaporating?

Yup, those will work, but I have a special 1/4" X 29" Type K thermocouple made up by Omega, so that it reaches the bottom of the tank. It goes through a standard 1/4" compression fitting.

Yes, I'm using the same PID controller for readout only as I use for controls.

Yes, you could control the mat under the pot, and the mat wrapped around the pot with a PID controller, using an immersion thermocouple in the pot .

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Big up graywolf.

Is it a good idea to drive both mats off one temp sensor, or have another sensor higher up for the one that wraps around?