What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

soil Ph Help , sulphur??

inuyasha

I have a soil prob , this soil stays in 6.8 no matter how low is ph of my water.
what I can put on the soil to make it more low, sulphur would work?
thanks a bunch!

sanke

Are you veging or flowering? I hope you havnt been giving your plants really low PH'ed water to try and fix this...

lime juice. vinegar. PH down. just google "lower soil pH", u will find many household items that can be used on the cheap. be careful, pH of 6.8 is actually not that abnormal. sometimes pH issues resemble deficiency or nute burn. so, make sure your diagnosis is correct or you will be working off false assumptions & really screw things up.

moonie

mix a couple spoonfulls of coffee grounds into the top layer of soil and water, it should drop to around 6.2 or so. My soil hovers around 6.8-7.0

inuyasha

coffee grounds never heard of that before I'll try it out thanks
the plan is in veg
I transplanted to this 6.8 soil and she is dying :O
I tried do to put a low ph water on it ( about 5) but the run off continues to come at 6.8,

sumncleaver

Been there done this
Flush it with 6.3 - 6.4 ph'd water three gallons for every gallon of soil no nutes. It could take two or three flushes. Get one of the cheap ph meter that you stick in the soil. It's not going to be accurate but it will let let you check if the ph is moving without watering or flushing.

SpaceshipNelson

Don't know that ph was the issue with your transplant. 6.8ph isn't that bad, as we have seen MUCH higher ground water and soil run off ph's lately. and 6.5 seems to work pretty well for most of what grows here in California ime.

Floridian

Veteran
A 6.8 soil PH is definitely not the reason your plant is dying.If anything pouring a 5.0 ph solution in the soil will kill it faster.We need a lot more information than what you have given to be any real help at all and pics would definitely help.A 6.8 ph in soil is not going to lock out essential nutrients and even if it were to,it wouldn't be killing your plant.The problem lies elsewhere,especially if it is really dying off

troutman

Seed Whore
Your soil must have lots of buffer in it to remain at the same pH.
Until you deplete the buffer the pH won't change.
But pH 6.8 isn't bad at all.

Stuff like cal/mag is a buffer btw.