What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

canadian light dep schedule??

PARADOX

So we are rocking a greenhouse or two and also have a hoop house we are planning to light dep. My question is what are some of the schedules the peeps here use when pulling the tarp to black out?.. im thinking black it out at 4 am open tarp at 10 am.. whats everyone else doing?

corky1968

Veteran
Do whatever gives you 12 hours of darkness.

Maybe pull it on at 8 PM and pull if off at 8 AM.

That's what I would do anyways.

Tynehead Tom

I''ll be starting light dep flowering in july. uncovered from 7am to 7pm, although I still have to verify the sunrise times in the final weeks of my planned flowering schedule to make sure sun is up at 7 LOL or I will have to adjust at the beginning, maybe 8am to 8pm

outdoordreams

Paradox, does your garden get better morning sun or evening sun?
Is the garden you are going to tarp greenhouse or outdoor (full sun)?
Are you going to have ventilation?
When are you planning to harvest this garden?.........Aug. 1-14 is a great window to aim for!

Tynehead Tom

damn it's supposed to fricken snow here tonight LOL
crazy!

all my plants for outdoor are still safe in the big room, warm and cozy :D

I'm out west but at near 3000 feet (52/53N) so my plants will go out first week of June for my greenhouse to mid june for the mountain plots.
I'll veg my greenhouse varieties (at 5 weeks right now inside) till July 1st and then start my light dep, favoring the morning sun.
gotta pic a time and keep it the same so will look at sunrise time for my area at the time of harvest, and open the greenhouse every morning at that time throughout the flowering months. I'm going to use a thermostat set up and 2 RV propane heaters to maintain temps at night.
This should allow me to finish 8 and 10 week varieties .....I hope LOL

bigbag

Veteran
remember, one doesn't need to uncover tarps in the early morning if you pull it back after dark...;)

Tynehead Tom

for my area sunrise is 4:30ish am july 1st and sept 15 it's 6:30
the sun would be lighting up my greenhouse with useable light about an hour after sunrise so I'll run my light dep 7:30 to 7:30 right thru till harvest.

corky1968

Veteran
One of these days if I ever get a greenhouse with a wood stove.
I'm going to try running pure Sativas outdoors and do this light
deprivation thing.

The thought of having a greenhouse full of ripe Sativa buds in Canada is crazy.
16 weeks of daily plant shading sounds mental though. But I would do it if I could.

Tynehead Tom

One of these days if I ever get a greenhouse with a wood stove.
I'm going to try running pure Sativas outdoors and do this light
deprivation thing.

The thought of having a greenhouse full of ripe Sativa buds in Canada is crazy.

well..... funny you mention that as I'm pondering putting Antenna seeds Purple Lazerlite in the greenhouse. It's a 9 week variety.

corky1968

Veteran
Do it.

Look at these nice Oldtimer Haze plants that ripened when the temp dropped to 5ºC min and 20ºC max.

I want buds like this once in my lifetime.

Old Timer's Haze in South America

My Northern Lights and Oldtimer Haze hybrids would be so happy in a greenhouse right now.

PARADOX

Paradox, does your garden get better morning sun or evening sun?
Is the garden you are going to tarp greenhouse or outdoor (full sun)?
Are you going to have ventilation?
When are you planning to harvest this garden?.........Aug. 1-14 is a great window to aim for!

The spot gets full sun from 830am-8pm so all day sun for the most part. I plan on tarping a hoop house that will have no poly just a tarp. Ventilation wont be happening on this set up. If I start tarping in late june/ early july here's to hoping for a august harvest. I was thinking of tarping from 4am to 10 am but also maybe 7 pm then open at 11pm when its good and dark to pervent humidity issues

corky1968

Veteran
to pervent humidity issues

Couldn't you just run a long pieces of black drain weeping tile at ground level or other large diameter pipes at
each end of the hoop house to reduce the humidity. Light wouldn't enter the hoop house while air could.

PARADOX

Indeedbwe could rig up a passive system maybe. We were considering doing something simular but really if its only closed for a few hours I dont see it being a problem.

corky1968

Veteran
Well if the humidity and/or temperature climbs too high you may have to.

At least, it's an option.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are a couple of builds around for DIY automated, but you need a few basic skill. Or it's less bothersome that way at least. Fuckers in Cali are spoiled with options.

Isn't the whole point of light dep to create a sharp contrast in day/night movements? Some suggestions here seem almost contrary to that goal.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
like bigbag said, I prefer pulling tarps to close the dep at 5-6:30, location depending, and then pulling them off again after dark settles in for the night.

This way you only have the tarp coverred for a few hours where the humidity increases, and the plants can breathe freely and dry off over night. I also stop pulling light dep around day 42 for a 60 day variety, the plants don't revert to veg state if they are simply exposed to longer days for a week or so., and the flowers can finish without high humidity in the last week or so.