What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wet looking spots on leaves of male in coco hempy

P

ProfPipeDreamz

So i was gifted 3 studs in coco hempys. I have never grown that style before. I am giving full strength GH starter kit nutes because thats all i had around for chem nutes and the person who had them prior was just using maxigrow on them. I had them for two weeks and only in the last few days there have been we looking spots on the fan leaves mostly.. then a min ago i spotted a leaf that had almost like tiny black spots not moving like bugs or anything.. anyone have any ideas? Temps may be a lil lower that they were used to if that helps? Here r some pics..the pics look like thw apots r white.. thats jus a shitty camera.. they apear just to be translucent.. like little blotches of clear coat got on them..except the one with the spots.. thats what that looks like lol

Attachments

• IMG_7110.jpg
    IMG_7110.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7108.jpg
    IMG_7108.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7109.jpg
    IMG_7109.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 7

Junk

Are there any holes in the leaves? Can you post a pic of the backside? Of the leaf that is... ; )

Have you sprayed them with anything? Foliar spray etc?

"GH starter kit" is pretty generic. Do you mean the Flora, Flora nova, Flora duo?

P

ProfPipeDreamz

Hey thanks for the quick reply.. its the flora series..no foliar sprays or reason the leaves would get wet.. heres the backs of the leaves..

Attachments

• IMG_7111.jpg
    IMG_7111.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7112.jpg
    IMG_7112.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7113.jpg
    IMG_7113.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 5
P

ProfPipeDreamz

Got the nutes free at cannacon lol.. knew id need them some day!

Junk

Hey thanks for the quick reply.. its the flora series..no foliar sprays or reason the leaves would get wet.. heres the backs of the leaves..

The hempies are a thing all their own and I have no experience with them. The hempies may be part of the issue, I'm not sure.

It doesn't look like thrips, which is a good thing. Well, it does a bit, but the white strip is usually longer/thinner as opposed to the blotches you have.

P

ProfPipeDreamz

Hey thanks! I think i found it.. the worst leaf looks similar to this..

P

ProfPipeDreamz

Wtf

Wtf

But now i just saw a tiny translucent thing run to the back of a leaf! Wtf man.. i hit it with my ghost pepper dr bronners spray...

I wood

Looks more like thrips to me, blotchy patches instead of well defined paths like leaf miner damage.
Thrips are tiny, fast and will hide in crevices or just jump off when disturbed.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Like I wood said, probably thrip if big enough to be seen. Should really have a strong USB microscope handy, to keep your sanity. I have had plants turn to shit in a week, to the point I just threw out. Found russett mites and thrips on one batch, and broad mites on another. russett mites are very small, and broad mites even smaller.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...yeah, you definitely need some kind of magnifying device and if you can't swing the USB microscope then this works like a charm, i've had several different devices over the years and this is the one i keep coming back to.

LED loupe 30x, 60x

...and growing in hempy buckets is brain-dead easy although i'd not be using MaxiGrow at all, instead i'd be using MaxiBloom which is basically the Lucas Formula right outa the bag, it's cheap as shit too so well worth the money.

MaxiBloom

Lucas Formula, step by step

The KISS method

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

...in the hempy thread you'll see that the op was using a perlite/vermiculite mix and there are plenty of folks still using this mix very successfully but many, myself and the op of that thread among them, who have moved on to coco with hydroton or grorocks in the bottom, believe me, if you look around you will find all the info on hempy style growing that you could want.

...anyway, good luck.

peace, bozo

btw, heres a couple shots of some of my first hempys about 6 years ago.(note that these were grown in 2liter Coke bottles made into hempy buckets and they were flowered under a 400CMH)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Junk

If you look closely at your leaves do those spots look round? Or is it a bunch of squigly lines that together, now look like a round spot? My eyes are not good.

Leaf miners leave their offspring in the leaves, so you will notice tiny holes in the leaves, I think from when the offspring exit? Not holes, pits is a better word.

You need a pocket microscope or high x jewler's loupe to look at those leaves closely. Thrips and Lm's that I've seen leave marks that are more like squiggly lines, not blotches. But shape aside, it looks like LMs or thrips to me. I've never had either on cannabis, so maybe their pattern is different?

If it is either one of those, it's very bad. Hopefully someone else will chime in before you do anything drastic. For the moment, I wouldn't keep them with other plants if possible. Usually green disappearing from the leaves in a fashion like that, is some sort of bug. If you can look closer, you can figure out which. If you search for leaf miner or thrips threads you will might be able to confirm with the naked eye.

**Edit, I just saw a couple people already said it's thrips. So, I think thrips is a safe bet. You might have both.

You can look up how to handle that if you want. If you have to worry about contamination, I would consider how much these plants mean to you. Leaf miners are a royal pain to get rid off. I'm sure thrips aren't fun either.

Last edited:
U

Ununionized

I've never treated for thrips myself, but as a new grower, there's something you ought to know.

Insects and even mites, - all these hard shelled critters, they depend on their body being able to bead water. Now - that might not sound like much but what this comes down to is it pretty much doesn't matter wtf it is, if you can hit it with some soapy water, you can kill it.

It doesn't have to be VERY soapy, EITHER.

Furthermore, you ought to spray the plants down with water a few minutes after you dose them with some kinda soap that will make the water stick to the critters and drown em.

It does absolutely no harm to the killing capacity, and you can be real sure you're not kicking the plants in the ovaries.

Look up insecticidal soap. Here's a hint: baby shampoo. Just mix some up with enough in there, that when you stir it around strongly, it makes some bubbles and it ought to be enough.

Hard shelled critters have VERY low resistance to this kind of drowning.

You know- like everything good, there's a certain number of default do's and don'ts,

the MAIN thing being to just go to the doggone store and get an actual, fine sprayer.

They make little 9.99 versions that hold about a quart, you pump and pull the trigger, they work great I've got a few of em.

Also are the just plain old spray bottles you get out of your own trash. KInda low volume but don't worry about it.

The main thing is spray on a lot and spray it on on e.v.e.r.y. single s.q.u.a.r.e. inch of plant.

They drown inside 15 seconds. It would be like someone drenching you with something that had such tremendous flow qualities that just putting it on you made it seep into your nose and lungs and BAM. DoNe.

It doesn't last forever, but it's INSTANT cure for the base load of critters in your stuff.

==============
Two more quick words: acephate and imadacloprid. Read up on these, they're the main, still easily available systemic pesticides. Critters eat the leaves and get sick or die. The plants are males, and the stuff wears off as shown by tests and the fact that after about two weeks the critters come back.

Hey - when you spray em with soap don't stick em out in the sun. Any time a plant loses some function, you're supposed to dim the light on em or it makes em sick.

Now - yours, that's not a problem with that small damage - but when you soap em, if you just have to go to the bathroom and get shampoo, or just go get some DISH detergent you can over do it and it simply does, absolutely no harm to turn RIGHT around and wash it off. And, you can take em out of the sun for a day or so to make sure you're not delivering the ''Oh ShiT that's what I FEEL like'' to the plants too much.

People don't even normally put em in the shade but - if you want to, out of an abundance of caution, just dip the sunlight intensity for a day or two. Obviously you could disturb your grow/flower cycle like this - which is one reason the best way to deal with em is soap em - then rinse em - and keep em in the shade the rest of THAT day or so - then the next day put em back out.

Obviously where there's one set of thrips there are more so... you'll just have to become a botanist like us all. Good luck with em.

Whatever it is, it'll be easy for ya to handle.

Oh yeah you can get a little 100X microscopic magnifier online for about 12 bucks.

In searching for critters on plants there's a well known method and it's to hold a paper plate, beneath some leaves, and thump [auto-spell corrected from thumB]

the leaves down onto the paper plate.

IF you suspect whatever it is could haul ass, spray the paper with wd-40 or just spray some soapy water on THAT.

If you're desperate you can actually thump em onto paper and put water into a round glass- hold THAT up to the critters on the plate and it'll magnify the shit out of em.

Peace

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts