What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One pot is drying out faster than the others

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Hey ya'll. I have a 4 plant coco/airpot tent going, 2 Bubba Yum and 2 Krippleberry all from Dr Krippling. My situation is 1 of the bubba yum is drinking water like a mad woman. It's the second largest plant, so I assumed the larger one would be drinking more, but for some reason everyday her top layer of coco is completely dried out. I've been feeding her about 20% extra the past week or so to try and counteract the drying, but each morning at feeding it's been dry. It's not that this is a major problem, growth seems fine, not seeing any lockout or nutrient burns, I'm just curious as to why and if there is something I can do to prevent it, or should I not even be worrying about this?

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
You should be fucking pleased, first thing I look for is a heavy drinker, feed the habit, switch to multiple feeds

The more water its processing the more it can grow

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
do you hand feed or auto?
is the bigger plant closer to the light?
How big is the light?
how big are your pots?

if one is bigger and its a girl... be sure to clone it.:biggrin:
Yes, if its bigger it'll uptake more water.. just like sumo wrestler eats more..

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
do you hand feed or auto?
is the bigger plant closer to the light?
How big is the light?
how big are your pots?

if one is bigger and its a girl... be sure to clone it.:biggrin:
Yes, if its bigger it'll uptake more water.. just like sumo wrestler eats more..
Hand feeding 3-4 times a day smaller amounts, trying to keep their metabolism going non stop instead of 1 big daily feeding. Lights are 2x ViparSpectra v300s, all plants are same distance from the light, they are 3 gallon air pots in coco. And if they weren't autoflowers I would hop all over that to clone.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Just water more that's all. :tiphat:

Note: Bubba's tend to take in more food. In prison they run the show. :laughing:
I figured it was just that simple and not something to worry about, but this is my first real grow and I want everything as perfect as possible. I'd rather aks a seemingly stupid question NOW then have to deal with fubar plants in the future.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I did autopsies on my plant for the first six years or so.
Roots and leaves have an ideal ration and in ideal conditions maintain that ratio as they grow. Some into twenty foot monster trees and some into shrubberies.

Enter the artificial. Some of my plants stayed heavy between watering, some had dust blowing around.
The light drinkers had less roots. I use rockwool croutons in seven gallon containers and GH3 nutrients. Same same since 2002 without change, although some additives were tried in 2007-2008.

Runts I kept for three months and only reached a foot tall used very little water. Upon opening the container the rootball was found to be six inches across in a 17" diameter pot.
This is an extreme example but the relationship is a straight line, more roots drink more water.

Now for the BUT...
Excessive single event pruning puts a stopper in the waterflow, way too much and the whole plant can lose pressure. Books say twenty percent (20%) max at any one pruning. Experimentation confirms this.

I still do not understand why some plants become rootbound while other seeds from the same group do not. Even with clones this happens. Something in the way we grow, something too inconsequential to notice, is causing apparently identical plants to suffer growth aberrations.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I did autopsies on my plant for the first six years or so.
Roots and leaves have an ideal ration and in ideal conditions maintain that ratio as they grow. Some into twenty foot monster trees and some into shrubberies.

Enter the artificial. Some of my plants stayed heavy between watering, some had dust blowing around.
The light drinkers had less roots. I use rockwool croutons in seven gallon containers and GH3 nutrients. Same same since 2002 without change, although some additives were tried in 2007-2008.

Runts I kept for three months and only reached a foot tall used very little water. Upon opening the container the rootball was found to be six inches across in a 17" diameter pot.
This is an extreme example but the relationship is a straight line, more roots drink more water.

Now for the BUT...
Excessive single event pruning puts a stopper in the waterflow, way too much and the whole plant can lose pressure. Books say twenty percent (20%) max at any one pruning. Experimentation confirms this.

I still do not understand why some plants become rootbound while other seeds from the same group do not. Even with clones this happens. Something in the way we grow, something too inconsequential to notice, is causing apparently identical plants to suffer growth aberrations.
Dood I agree and now that it is legal in more places, I'm hoping the research can increase until it's no longer a mystery. I can only imagine the crazy st rains we will see in 20 years :D

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I figured it was just that simple and not something to worry about, but this is my first real grow and I want everything as perfect as possible. I'd rather aks a seemingly stupid question NOW then have to deal with fubar plants in the future.
yeah, you'll get over 'perfect'.