What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sea Crop & Ormus as a Trace Mineral source

BillFarthing

Veteran
I would like to discuss Sea Crop and ormus as an agricultural source of trace minerals. I would like to please stay away from any pseudo-science and keep the discussion to a fertilizer and chemical focus in this thread.

So sea solids are a great source of trace minerals in the garden, right? Sea-90 recommends 1/2 tsp./gal. for foliar, 1 tsp. for soil and 1/2 tsp. for hydroponics. But what about that sodium content?

Ormus is sea salt with a portion of the sodium removed by adjusting the pH and collecting the precipitate. It is what is in the commercial product Sea Crop. It is made by adjusting the pH to 10.78. A precipitate forms and the salt water is removed. The preciptate is dried and used in the same manner as sea solids with dramatically less sodium.

Here are several chemical analyses of different types of Ormus:

Ebay Ormus:

Celtic Salt Ormus

Table salt Ormus

It's interesting the table salt contains Silicon Dioxide from the anti-caking agent, but also has a high Aluminum content.

Ormus also contains magenesium oxide, milk of magnesia. If consumed by people, it is a great laxative. For plants, it makes a great magnesium source as a foliar. I am sure kelp contains plenty of sea minerals, which is part of why it is a great biostimulant. I think sea salt and their derivatives definitely have use as trace minerals in the garden.

Granger2

Veteran
Sea salt, as the name suggests, has lots of Sodium. That's why I like Sea Crop. Ocean water with salt removed. The perfect trace mineral supplement. I've always gotten great results with every application. Good luck. -granger

eric2028

Veteran
Sea salt, as the name suggests, has lots of Sodium. That's why I like Sea Crop. Ocean water with salt removed. The perfect trace mineral supplement. I've always gotten great results with every application. Good luck. -granger

I have some sea-crop but only used it once. What kind of results have you seen? Have you gotten a chance for side by side yet? Just curious thanks!

Granger2

Veteran
My plants can be very healthy and green, then I apply Sea Crop, and they look even better. No side by side. If you've got Sea Crop on hand, use it. I use it about 4+ times per crop. I never mix it with other nutes. I use according to instructions. Good luck. -granger

D3pthCharg3

I have and use both, preferring Sea Crop as the previous posts reason. I believe it has an effect on brix levels , increasing it (happy plant), ultimately improving many variables IMO. I go easy on the Sea 90 on account of the sodium too.

I will soon be testing to see if brix increases immediately after a foliar or drench I will be using a new refractometer

A friend tells me his PM problems a virtually non-existant outdoor when regularly spraying Sea 90 on his early season plants.

I like to use it in conjunction with sea products such as kelp and fish

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I was going to compare all the heavy metals in Sea-90 to drinking water standards-

100 ppb chromium allowed in drinking water, 197 ppb in Sea Solids.

First result aaaaand I'm done.
That does it for me too, definitely not a cannabis product. IF cannabis wasn't such a dynamic accumulator of crap from the root zone, it'd be great. I'm sure Sea-90 makes awesomely clean cucumbers. :D

You can do that with a little potassium hydroxide and collect the precipitate. That is what this thread is about.

This thread is about that?
Buying Sea Crop and adding potassium hydroxide, then collecting the precipitate?
The sodium was suppised to have been removed by the manufacturer, but it has not been removed.
Have you tried removing sodium?
Very time consuming.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts