What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydroponic Research Vs Emerald Harvest

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aside from user error (see burnt and curling leaf tips)...

1. I neglected to consider that after DeFoling I would need to cut nute strength way back

2. While nutes were being depleted from the rezes, I was simply topping off with same strength nutes. I was not checking PPM/EC and instead of being ~ 750ppm/1.5EC, I was > 1500/3 EC

Other than that I can't say for certain, as I am growing different strains

I feel I am doing the right thing by switching from HR to EH during flower

But this grow I also used EH 3 part grow from seed

Drop by my Hail Hydro thread to see pics of this grow from the start

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am amazed how much my plants have bulked up since taking pics 2 days ago, but I have questions

while my 3 part Emerald Harvest grow is doing fine, a problem early on, when all 4 plants prematurely showed sex ~ 3 weeks has perplexed me

I managed to ‘reveg’ for couple weeks. Plants have stretched and buds filling out beyond nicely, although most of the leafs are single blade (what causes that?)

I am wondering whether feeding frequency in the beginning could be the culprit for early sexing, or, could it be too many growth hormones from daily foliar feeding with Kelp. Hmmmmm

Once I transfer from starter lpa aero into F & D totes I feed every 1.5 hours to make sure the transferred roots stay moist. A caution from my old bubbleponics starter days, when roots really weren't long enough, but transferred because they were hammocking. Not an issue since switching to lpa aero.

I often forget to increase the pause intervals as they grow. Could this be the cause of early sexing?

It has only been in the last 2 weeks that I increased the pause to 4 hours and a few days go to 6 hours

Not sure if it’s a coincidence, but the plants have grown much faster, and buds are really bulking up, although they should at this stage anyway

Been using mid flower amounts as per the EH chart, including Golden Goddess, King Kola and Honey Comb (+ NPK RAW Aminos and Enzymes)

I have plenty of GG and KK for several more grows, but not enough Honey Comb left for one more gallon. Can I still get excellent results without it?

beta

Veteran
Cannabis's chemistry needs are a lot different during flower.

This is 100% a grow-bro myth. It is nonsense that plants need you to feed them the 'correct' nutrients at the 'correct' time so that they don't eat the wrong thing. Plants have evolved to uptake nutrients as needed (via signaling using amino acids). Nowhere in nature are plants deprived of certain nutrients at certain times - Good soil contains an abundance of all micro and macro nutrients at all times, and the plants take what they need. Plants never have and never will need a human to regulate their nutrient uptake.

Look at commercial tomato production - They'd laugh in your face if you told them you needed a special nute formula for veg and special nute formula for bloom. In terms of nutritional needs, cannabis and tomatoes are virtually identical.

Feed your plants a well balanced nutrient solution for their entire life cycle. Anything else is someone trying to sell you snake oil.

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is 100% a grow-bro myth. It is nonsense that plants need you to feed them the 'correct' nutrients at the 'correct' time so that they don't eat the wrong thing. Plants have evolved to uptake nutrients as needed (via signaling using amino acids). Nowhere in nature are plants deprived of certain nutrients at certain times - Good soil contains an abundance of all micro and macro nutrients at all times, and the plants take what they need. Plants never have and never will need a human to regulate their nutrient uptake.

Look at commercial tomato production - They'd laugh in your face if you told them you needed a special nute formula for veg and special nute formula for bloom. In terms of nutritional needs, cannabis and tomatoes are virtually identical.

Feed your plants a well balanced nutrient solution for their entire life cycle. Anything else is someone trying to sell you snake oil.

Really? And your example is commercial tomato growers. LOL

Your comment is only true IF the soil has all the elements the plants need, and since all soil based commercial tomato farms grow in depleted soils with no micros, aminos, enzymes... is a big reason why commercially grown tomatoes taste like crap. The other being they are not vine ripened, not that it matters when the sweetening nutrients aren't present.

oh BTW, hydro allows the grower to adjust the 2 dissimilar nutrient profiles, and add amendments as needed. In flower- less N and more P & K, the opposite in veg

But hey if it's working for you...

beta

Veteran
Really? And your example is commercial tomato growers. LOL

Your comment is only true IF the soil has all the elements the plants need, and since all soil based commercial tomato farms grow in depleted soils with no micros, aminos, enzymes... is a big reason why commercially grown tomatoes taste like crap. The other being they are not vine ripened, not that it matters when the sweetening nutrients aren't present.

oh BTW, hydro allows the grower to adjust the 2 dissimilar nutrient profiles, and add amendments as needed. In flower- less N and more P & K, the opposite in veg

But hey if it's working for you...

I'm talking about commercial hydro greenhouse tomatoes grown in inert medium, not soil.

C

cooterbrown420

I'm talking about commercial hydro greenhouse tomatoes grown in inert medium, not soil.

save your breath bro your talking to mr. know it all, many have tried all have failed to reach him. take at look at his albums that should be all you need to know

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

And you think their medium doesn't need tweaking? I shop at Whole foods and stopped buying their organic tomatoes because they have NO flavor

See NPK RAW YT videos one specifically about tomatoes. He actually works directly with some commercial growers

beta

Veteran
And you think their medium doesn't need tweaking? I shop at Whole foods and stopped buying their organic tomatoes because they have NO flavor

Sorry, but as a scientifically minded person, I don't care about your anecdotes. Anecdote has been used to justify belief in literally every crazy ass thing mankind has ever imagined.

I care about data, and the data is very clear - When they aren't told what they're eating, people cannot tell any difference in flavor between organic and conventional.

"Many studies (e.g., here) have broached the topic of the taste and ‘quality’ of organic food versus conventional. Robustly, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), as well as Stanford University School of Medicine compared organic produce with their conventional counterparts and found no significant differences."

I'm sure you've convinced yourself otherwise, though. It's called confirmation bias, and it's one of the big reasons we have and need the scientific method.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran

Commercial tomatoes taste bland and lack flavor, likely nutrition too. Homegrown in live soil has a full mouth watering flavor. This goes for most commercial crops.

Clearly simple NPK is enough for healthy looking plants buy anyones tastebuds can easily see the plant can and will eat more. And improve in quality.

beta

Veteran
Commercial tomatoes taste bland and lack flavor, likely nutrition too. Homegrown in live soil has a full mouth watering flavor. This goes for most commercial crops.

Clearly simple NPK is enough for healthy looking plants buy anyones tastebuds can easily see the plant can and will eat more. And improve in quality.

Read my last post - It is a scientific fact that when blinded, people cannot tell the difference between conventional and organically produced produce. Period. You may have convinced yourself this is true, but it is demonstrably false.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Read my last post - It is a scientific fact that when blinded, people cannot tell the difference between conventional and organically produced produce. Period. You may have convinced yourself this is true, but it is demonstrably false.

You may be right? Although I highly doubt it. I have seen so many side by sides and so often the organic has a more full flavor. So many people ask about the flavor before they even here the word organic. I can identify GH grown herb just by its lack of flavor. So I not against the possibility of being wrong. I just feel I have more than enough personal experience to know better.

Homebrewer

Veteran

Those commercial tomatoes you're referring to are likely productive, hearty hybrids picked and shipped before maturity. Think Big Bud harvested 2 weeks early.

beta

Veteran
You may be right? Although I highly doubt it. I have seen so many side by sides and so often the organic has a more full flavor. So many people ask about the flavor before they even here the word organic. I can identify GH grown herb just by its lack of flavor. So I not against the possibility of being wrong. I just feel I have more than enough personal experience to know better.

You can doubt it all you want, but facts are facts. This has been studied under carefully controlled conditions and it is a fact that people cannot tell a difference between conventional and organic when they don't know which is which. They'll swear up and down they can tell a difference when they know beforehand what is what.

You are engaging in confirmation bias. Your personal experience is subject to 1000s of flaws in human perception and isn't a reliable way to understand the world as it actually is.

I can virtually guarantee that your 'testing' did not involve blinding. I sincerely doubt that you even know how most of the herb you smoke is grown. You're simply telling yourself that something is 'hydro' when it sucks and 'organic' when it's good.

I'm a consultant for both 100% organic soil gardens and 100% salt based hydro gardens, so I am regularly around both. Quality has very little to do with nutes and almost everything to do with environment and handling.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can doubt it all you want, but facts are facts. This has been studied under carefully controlled conditions and it is a fact that people cannot tell a difference between conventional and organic when they don't know which is which. They'll swear up and down they can tell a difference when they know beforehand what is what.

You are engaging in confirmation bias. Your personal experience is subject to 1000s of flaws in human perception and isn't a reliable way to understand the world as it actually is.

I can virtually guarantee that your 'testing' did not involve blinding. I sincerely doubt that you even know how most of the herb you smoke is grown. You're simply telling yourself that something is 'hydro' when it sucks and 'organic' when it's good.

I'm a consultant for both 100% organic soil gardens and 100% salt based hydro gardens, so I am regularly around both. Quality has very little to do with nutes and almost everything to do with environment and handling.

Amen!

Most people never paid attention in high school science/botany class.

Unlike adults, plants have no problem breaking down inorganic salts. Further, it is much easier to get laboratory grade dry salts. It is also much easier to develop cannabis specific nutrients for both veg and flower