What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RQS Critical Deficiency 2nd run. (SIP/Organic)

0x99

Hi all,

I'm currently running my second run with RQS Critical in a DIY Smart pot / Sub irrigation (SIP) + AutoValve organic setup. Went out of town for a week and came back to some of the top leaves looking like this. This doesn't appear to be pervasive all over, but it looks like it may just beginning to be an issue.

Deficiency:

SIP:

Cannopy:

Details
-------------------
Strain: RQS Critical Fem
Seed/clone: Cloned from a bonsai mom from my last run
Temps: 75F(high) 68(low)
Humidity: 35-50%
Light: spectrum king SK402 LED
Pot Size: 5Gal Smartpots
Soil: Super Soil bottom 1/3 top 2/3 Roots Organic + 1 handfull of dolomite lime
Water: RO Water (7PPM)
Beneficial Microbes: Mykos / Azos / Mammoth / Orca
Veg: 35 days
Flower: Current @ day27

Every 2 weeks I feed Roots Organic 'Bloom'. 9 days ago I added about 3 TBSP of Kelp meal to the top surface of soil and scratched it in w/ gentle watering because it looked to me like I was beginning to see potassium deficiencies.

Any ideas what this could be?

Is it possible that all of my dolomite lime is used up? I can't easily take a soil pH test since i'm in SIP and the trays are always flooded.

I will scoop up some soil and mix it with my RO water and see what the pH is at in a few when I'm home.

Thanks for any advice!

R

red23

Hi all,

I'm currently running my second run with RQS Critical in a DIY Smart pot / Sub irrigation (SIP) + AutoValve organic setup. Went out of town for a week and came back to some of the top leaves looking like this. This doesn't appear to be pervasive all over, but it looks like it may just beginning to be an issue.

Deficiency:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76253&pictureid=1892588&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

SIP:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76253&pictureid=1892589&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Cannopy:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76253&pictureid=1892587&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Details
-------------------
Strain: RQS Critical Fem
Seed/clone: Cloned from a bonsai mom from my last run
Temps: 75F(high) 68(low)
Humidity: 35-50%
Light: spectrum king SK402 LED
Pot Size: 5Gal Smartpots
Soil: Super Soil bottom 1/3 top 2/3 Roots Organic + 1 handfull of dolomite lime
Water: RO Water (7PPM)
Beneficial Microbes: Mykos / Azos / Mammoth / Orca
Veg: 35 days
Flower: Current @ day27

Every 2 weeks I feed Roots Organic 'Bloom'. 9 days ago I added about 3 TBSP of Kelp meal to the top surface of soil and scratched it in w/ gentle watering because it looked to me like I was beginning to see potassium deficiencies.

Any ideas what this could be?

Is it possible that all of my dolomite lime is used up? I can't easily take a soil pH test since i'm in SIP and the trays are always flooded.

I will scoop up some soil and mix it with my RO water and see what the pH is at in a few when I'm home.

Thanks for any advice!
Burned and curled leaves!If it has a zinc deficiency due to too-high pH(my feeling}, flush your system with clean, pH’d water. This will remove any nutrient salts that may be affecting the uptake of zinc and help restore pH to the proper levels
Sometimes that deficiency is brought upon a plant by overwatering
and a quote from a trusted site "In general, zinc deficiencies are more likely to appear when a grower is using heavily filtered or reverse osmisis (RO) water to feed plants since any zinc has been removed, but pH is a much more common reason growers see zinc deficiencies in their cannabis plants."
PH! to start with
:)

0x99

Burned and curled leaves!If it has a zinc deficiency due to too-high pH(my feeling}, flush your system with clean, pH’d water. This will remove any nutrient salts that may be affecting the uptake of zinc and help restore pH to the proper levels
Sometimes that deficiency is brought upon a plant by overwatering
and a quote from a trusted site "In general, zinc deficiencies are more likely to appear when a grower is using heavily filtered or reverse osmisis (RO) water to feed plants since any zinc has been removed, but pH is a much more common reason growers see zinc deficiencies in their cannabis plants."
PH! to start with

You're prob right on the money. Just got home, here are the readings:

SIP Tray water pH: 6.0
Soil pH: 7.0

I wonder if i'm buffered at 7.0 because there is *too much* dolomite lime in there? Should I still flush or is there anything I can ammend to the soil to buffer it closer to 6.5?

R

red23

You're prob right on the money. Just got home, here are the readings:

I wonder if i'm buffered at 7.0 because there is *too much* dolomite lime in there? Should I still flush or is there anything I can ammend to the soil to buffer it closer to 6.5?
I've not come across that deficiency myself.So quoting again for soil" In soil, zinc is best absorbed by the roots in the 6.0 – 6.5 pH range (although it’s generally recommended for soil growers to keep pH in the 6.0-7.0 range, zinc tends to be absorbed better on the lower side)"
If that helps, or you need some more input,I'll be glad and around, but,for now, if I was you, Start from zero.Flashing will help, and,a couple of days for her to recover will,I think, get things going to the right direction again

R

red23

I've not come across that deficiency myself.So quoting again for soil" In soil, zinc is best absorbed by the roots in the 6.0 – 6.5 pH range (although it’s generally recommended for soil growers to keep pH in the 6.0-7.0 range, zinc tends to be absorbed better on the lower side)"
If that helps, or you need some more input,I'll be glad and around, but,for now, if I was you, Start from zero.Flashing will help, and,a couple of days for her to recover will,I think, get things going to the right direction again
Just a side note.It will take a few days, for some damaged leaves to recover or maybe not.If not I would defoliate, but,according to the article, most important is to be looking if it spreads over to new,or,healthy ones

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
too late

too late

SUPER SETUP you have, WOW!!! Thank you for sharing so many details and showing your beautiful plants.

that tells me that you are running about 6.5 in the pot, so I wouldn't do anything this late in flowering if it were me. I had that same thing happen to me before. My problem was the pH got off during flowering. In my case doing an organic grow, my pH dropped too low, (4.9) so I raised my water pH. If my pH is too High, then I use organic nutes to bring it down. I try to watch my pH closely and keep it steady now. I don't know anyone who hasn't had pH problems at one time are another. Good learning for me! Thank you!

0x99

Last night i shop-vac'd the trays and replaced it with some RO water @ 5.0 pH (apple cider vinegar/citric acid mix).

Todays readings:

tray water: 7.8?! (lol wtf?)
soil (sample taken about 3 inches down and mixed with unadjusted RO water): 6.8

I am mixing up some compost tea tomorrow morning. hopefully the benny's will fix whatever is going on.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Good observation

Good observation

One can't get a pH reading unless there's at least 100 ppms or over in the RO water. False readings appear in just RO water. Your pH will drop with Additives you give them in the up coming feeds. You still have 6 or more weeks to bring it down, so don't panic. This is an interesting thread to me, and I'm learning from you, I hope you don't mind. Also I would calibrate my pH pen.

Do you think that adding the extra dolomite lime to the mix caused the high pH?

0x99

One can't get a pH reading unless there's at least 100 ppms or over in the RO water. False readings appear in just RO water. Your pH will drop with Additives you give them in the up coming feeds. You still have 6 or more weeks to bring it down, so don't panic. This is an interesting thread to me, and I'm learning from you, I hope you don't mind. Also I would calibrate my pH pen.

Do you think that adding the extra dolomite lime to the mix caused the high pH?

I think it may have but i'm not sure, and here's why: Last grow with this strain I had the something very similar happen around the same time. Last time I assumed it looked like calcium def since I was using strictly RO.. I assumed maybe I didn't put enough in there, so this time I was more generous.

everything seems 100% golden until about week 3 flowering with this strain. Here she is when she's about done. (took a clone of the best of 3 seeds I popped.)

meanwhile, patiently waiting for my tea to finish brewing... (2tbsp bsm, mammoth & orca innoculant, 4 gal RO water)

0x99

Well shit.. looks like its getting worse :( I flushed a few days ago... been pH-ing my reservoir down to 6.1 each night.. Water in the tray is clear the fuck up to 7.3 constantly.

I think a few things could have gone wrong here:

1) Too much dolomite lime (fuck me! nothing I can really do here if this is the culprit)
2) top layer of Microherd got damaged and didn't recover when I scratched Kelp Meal in the surface.

I know one thing for sure with organics is that you shouldn't have to fuck with pH really at all.. so my microherd must be out of wack or like I said its dolomite jacking everything up. I dont really see a lot of mycellium on the surface.

I ammended a little bit of organic oatmeal in the surface and covered with tinfoil to hopefully kickstart the microbial life again.

Fuckin bummer this crop is heading south. During veg I was certain it was gonna be my best yet.. the girls were so damn happy. I seem to always end up having issues during flower I swear. Someday I'll get this shit dialed in. So much for 'super soil, just add water' grows!

DTOM420

Well shit.. looks like its getting worse :( I flushed a few days ago... been pH-ing my reservoir down to 6.1 each night.. Water in the tray is clear the fuck up to 7.3 constantly.

I think a few things could have gone wrong here:

1) Too much dolomite lime (fuck me! nothing I can really do here if this is the culprit)
2) top layer of Microherd got damaged and didn't recover when I scratched Kelp Meal in the surface.

I know one thing for sure with organics is that you shouldn't have to fuck with pH really at all.. so my microherd must be out of wack or like I said its dolomite jacking everything up. I dont really see a lot of mycellium on the surface.

I ammended a little bit of organic oatmeal in the surface and covered with tinfoil to hopefully kickstart the microbial life again.

Fuckin bummer this crop is heading south. During veg I was certain it was gonna be my best yet.. the girls were so damn happy. I seem to always end up having issues during flower I swear. Someday I'll get this shit dialed in. So much for 'super soil, just add water' grows!

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76253&pictureid=1894320&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76253&pictureid=1894319&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76253&pictureid=1894318&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76253&pictureid=1894317&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76253&pictureid=1894316&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Have you tried Recharge? I thought maybe it was a gimmick but I got some at 30% off so I though, “What the heck? Might as well give it a shot.” Well, to my surprise, I could see my girls visibly happier about 36 hours later. It’d help recharge your microbial life.

Good luck! I’m in the same boat. Lol

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
almost there

almost there

You just about made it bro! Some of those flowers still look pretty good to me! I did the same thing! I put a cup of lime in a mix when I shouldn't of. I was adding it for calcium and magnesium. Big mistake.

What's the ph in your drain tray now? Also are you checking the ppms in the drain water?