What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PLEASE HELP. Root rot DWC

noob1988

well I have like 12 clones that neep to be transplanted. all I have is one coco coir brick. so what I need to do is hrydrate with ro water and flush till near 0 ppm them super charge the coco with calmag and little nutes with some root accelerator?

DONAJTHEIII

well I have like 12 clones that neep to be transplanted. all I have is one coco coir brick. so what I need to do is hrydrate with ro water and flush till near 0 ppm them super charge the coco with calmag and little nutes with some root accelerator?

I just rinse my coco with my veg nutes aka (6/9) at .8-1.0ec

I keep my ec around that all through veg and pump it to full 6/9 around 1.2ec for flower.

No need for cal-mag if your using tap water and 6/9. I know people run 6/9 with no cal-mag even with RO water. Wouldnt rinse with plain h20 never done that once in my life but I use coco out the bag.

AJAE

t33to

Dead Rez (bleach or Dutchmaster Zone etc) Flood and Drain Hydro using the Lucas Formula (+humic acid + calmag) was hands down the easiest and heaviest yielding run I've ever done. There was NOTHING to clean up at the end and every piece of equipment was re-used without cleaning. Soo simple.

I know I'm chiming in here late, but honestly look into Dead Rez systems. As long as you're giving your girls what they need you don't need beneficial life forms.

LostTribe

Premium user
I'd grab a bottle of sm-90 it will get those roots back to huge and white quick rite. It uses some type of flower I cant recall but it smells like super lemon drop and it works great.

as for DWC it sucks try flood and drain buckets with pebbles ala soquick search icmag is boring as shit and you will see what Im talkin bout! Keeps the nute temps down and doesnt drown the plants either. dwc is okay in veg dont get me wrong but you have to keep it cool.

I know this an old thread but there's no much activity in this subforum so I wanted to post something helpful.

Another vote for Great White. I had the exact issues you describe (got the res temp down by shielding my res with sunshades) and the only thing that fixed it was Great White. Only takes about a day and the good bacteria defeat the bad and things stay SUPER stable. Like way more stable than without GW and without bacteria even! I add the GW at each full res change only and it'll be good for the duration.

LostTribe

Premium user
definately h2o2 and certainly no bleach.

if you have a hydro store i would grab some sm90 its great stuff and will fix the root rot quick. Its also good for other stuff too.

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
most issues in hydroculture always end up being ppm in the rez.

i understand water temp and oxygen are big issues. but if reses and rooms are hot, then nutes should be 1/2 or even up to 1/4 strength

i have had reses above 80 in some sitiaution before. with no issues if ppm is adjusted accordingly. i do not recommend this approach as it is far from optimal. but nonetheless you get the idea

good luck

med-man

LostTribe

Premium user
most issues in hydroculture always end up being ppm in the rez.

i understand water temp and oxygen are big issues. but if reses and rooms are hot, then nutes should be 1/2 or even up to 1/4 strength

i have had reses above 80 in some sitiaution before. with no issues if ppm is adjusted accordingly. i do not recommend this approach as it is far from optimal. but nonetheless you get the idea

good luck

med-man

Dude at 80 degrees dropping the nutes isnt going to affect any case of root rot dude. high temps cause bacteria fwiw.

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dwc is one of the most forgiving systems.

i am speaking from experience. not from what i have read. its lack of oxygen not high temps that cause bacteria

pretty sure an air stone is providing all the oxygen the roots need

i did r/d for over 2 years for bc northen lights. and have done everything near and far to dwc in my tenure

kind regards

med-man

noob1988

I actually didn't even know about dead or live rez when I started. lol. But I ended up going to coco after this failure and had really great success with it. I also did read up about dead rez or beneficials. I got some GW along with Alaskan soil and mixed in 5 gallon jug with molasses and used like a tea once a week or so. Never saw anything wrong with plants.

dwc is one of the most forgiving systems.

i am speaking from experience. not from what i have read. its lack of oxygen not high temps that cause bacteria

pretty sure an air stone is providing all the oxygen the roots need

i did r/d for over 2 years for bc northen lights. and have done everything near and far to dwc in my tenure

kind regards

med-man

Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about good sir. It is the temperature of the water that determines that amount of dissolved oxygen that the liquid can hold in suspension. More airstones are needed at higher temps to achieve the same dissolved oxygen level you'd achieve with fewer stones / less powerful pumps at a colder temperature.

The ppm doesn't cause the root rot with DWC, the temp does by reducing the total saturation point of the oxygen in the res at the higher temperature, plain and simple.

Respectfully
- CG

LostTribe

Premium user
If I may, your life and plants will be much happier and healthier in Flood & Drain

It should be easy for you to covert this grow

Just get a net pot that your rots will fit into + a ~ 5 gallon tote to put the plant into

Note how soft and fluffy these roots are. Billion times more efficient at nutrient uptake

See my DIY Mini-Me tutorial for parts list

View attachment 293100 View attachment 293101 View attachment 293102

I concur, flood drain person myself. wont switch and screwed up dwc more times than it was worth, shit soil was a charm compared to dwc and its easy. rez temps are easily controlled if you dont keep the rez under your lights.

LostTribe

Premium user
If you decide to stick it out some sm90 and some silica blast are definitely a good investment. the sm90 is organic and will turn your roots back white. The silica blast will help with the higher rez temps.

Dab Strudel

Perfect spot for this question, What if you live in the redwoods and you have mold spores in the air most of the year?
Would it in some way not effect the water?
Would it benefit the live res?!
Would it kill plants with a dead res?
Would you let your loved ones smoke the resulting buds (if any)!?!

LostTribe

Premium user
cannazyme and hydoguard both claim to breakdown dead roots and promote new healthy ones.

JohnM

Sorry but you don't know what you're talking about good sir. It is the temperature of the water that determines that amount of dissolved oxygen that the liquid can hold in suspension. More airstones are needed at higher temps to achieve the same dissolved oxygen level you'd achieve with fewer stones / less powerful pumps at a colder temperature.

The ppm doesn't cause the root rot with DWC, the temp does by reducing the total saturation point of the oxygen in the res at the higher temperature, plain and simple.

Respectfully
- CG

Root rot is not an issue for most forum fans, at least that’s many growers claim. Some say that root death, root decay (root rot) encourages massive fungal outbreaks, a devastating problem that many growers think about often nearly every day. If any DWC/RDWC life support system fails, well that’s a real sad discovery before breakfast in the morning… that will activate the “crisis mode.”
Three simple questions please.
In your opinion… what comes 1st dying, dead, decaying roots or the fungal outbreak?
Specifically what do you think is the #1 most common cause/reason of cannabis root death in DWC/RDWC?
And what do you think is the best way to prevent the most common cause of root rot?
Thanks